• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Electoral College

I don't really understand the backlash against the idea of faithless electors keeping Trump from getting to 270. It makes no sense to me to accept the math part of the elector college but not the elector part. Both are pretty weird and undemocratic.

The whole "electors honoring their state's vote" argument is weak considering the idea of electors was a kind of "break glass in case of emergency" idea. If 270 electors don't think Trump as president is an emergency, fine, but if not then this is the exact situation the electors were designed for.

It's also worth pointing out that several states have passed laws that would direct their electors to ignore the state popular vote and vote with the national popular vote if 270 EC votes worth of states pass the same law.

I get the backlash from a partisan standpoint and even from a political strategy standpoint, but not from "an affront to democracy standpoint."

I don't really understand the backlash against the idea of faithless electors keeping Trump from getting to 270. It makes no sense to me to accept the math part of the elector college but not the elector part. Both are pretty weird and undemocratic.

The whole "electors honoring their state's vote" argument is weak considering the idea of electors was a kind of "break glass in case of emergency" idea. If 270 electors don't think Trump as president is an emergency, fine, but if not then this is the exact situation the electors were designed for.

It's also worth pointing out that several states have passed laws that would direct their electors to ignore the state popular vote and vote with the national popular vote if 270 EC votes worth of states pass the same law.

I get the backlash from a partisan standpoint and even from a political strategy standpoint, but not from "an affront to democracy standpoint."

Which states? Does the law compel the electors to do so or grant them that option? My guess is most or all of the states in question are Dem states after 2000.

Maybe because they signed pledges?

Yeah, and some states have passed laws against being a faithless elector.
I don't see how these laws would pass constitutional muster if challenged.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

If you guys think voter turn out is low now, just wait until people find out that electors will do what they damn well please regardless of the actual votes in each state.

If you guys think voter turn out is low now, just wait until people find out that electors will do what they damn well please regardless of the actual votes in each state.

It's almost like the Electoral College is an antiquated system which has far outlasted whatever usefulness it once had.

so republicans should be behind this 100%, then

WhatchutalkingaboutWillis?
That state laws restricting or punishing faithless electors could be deemed unconstitutional under article two and the twelve amendment. This isn't groundbreaking stuff.

That state laws restricting or punishing faithless electors could be deemed unconstitutional under article two and the twelve amendment. This isn't groundbreaking stuff.

Haven't such laws been challenged and upheld, at least at the COA level?

I could see a free speech argument to be made on penalizing the actual vote.

I just can't wait til NC GOP decides to ignore the state's voters in 2020 and select the electors themselves.

And I "could" sprout wings and fly to the moon, but don't bet on it.
It has never risen to the level of SC signif icance. When I read article 2 and Amendment 12 I certainly reached the conclusion that the intent was that the elector was free to vote for whomever he or she wanted to.

It has never risen to the level of SC signif icance. When I read article 2 and Amendment 12 I certainly reached the conclusion that the intent was that the elector was free to vote for whomever he or she wanted to.

well then since the electors are free to vote the way they want when they pick Trump will you finally accept the loss?

well then since the electors are free to vote the way they want when they pick Trump will you finally accept the loss?
The outcome of this election has been decided long time ago. Really has nothing to do with whether the electors are constitutionally protected in their ability to vote for whoemver they want to. I know this level of nuance is a little above your pay grade.

Back