• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Electoral College

giphy.gif

cannotunsee3.gif

What part of it?

Trump has had many suits brought against him for screwing employees. He DID say he wanted to BK the US auto industry and hire fewer people back at much lower pay/benefits. Trump used going BK to get out of paying agreed upon wages as well as allowing him to steal from people. He is currently using Chinese steel at his DC hotel rather US products. This is all public knowledge.

Ross did make his billions as a vulture capitalist.

The Secretary of Labor has often spoken out against the minimum wage.

Look up Devos' stance on public education.

It's not my faulty that you are ignorant of Trump's top people. Being willfully ignorant is the perfect description of millions of Trump voters.

giphy.gif

Nah, we don't have to like a system that gets our guy/gal elected in spite of the system.

Would you have been a proponent of the EC had Hillary won and Trump had won the PV?

The EC is an archaic and unfair process. It makes some Americans' vote count 3+ times as much as others. It's one thing to try to balance the Congress. The voice of the people should count for POTUS.

It's like some of you forget 2000 happened. Wake up, sheeple !

GO is typical. Blame a typo rather than the content.

Would you have been a proponent of the EC had Hillary won and Trump had won the PV?

Of course he would. That goes for all of them. Shoo has been constantly hammering away on this topic since the election. If Trump supporters had been constantly whining about the EC you know the Hillshills would be reacting the same way they did to any bad news about her: "YAWN! More whining!"

I have not been a proponent of the EC since after 2000, so no. System is bullshit. I certainly would not have been as loud about how bullshit it is, though, I will admit that.

Last edited:
I have not been a proponent of the EC since after 2000, so no. System is bullshit. I certainly would not have been as loud about how bullshit it is, though, I will admit that.

I can appreciate the honesty. Do you at least understand, albeit disagree assuredly, with the arguments for the EC?

The EC is an archaic and unfair process. It makes some Americans' vote count 3+ times as much as others. It's one thing to try to balance the Congress. The voice of the people should count for POTUS.

I guess that means blow up the Senate too, Publius?

I'll admit that the EC is something I've never truly liked. That said, those are the rules of the game. You strategically campaign to a path to 270. If PV decided the outcome, the campaigns would have been vastly different. Funding and allocation of funds would have been vastly different. More people would likely get out and vote. It's asinine to harp on the PV at this point because it's not what wins the election and all parties knew that from day one. They strategized accordingly. It's somewhat akin to a Wake Forest football team having 400 yards of total offense and still losing 35-28 to a team with 300 total yards. You may have played better all game, but critical errors cost you when it counted.

If Clinton had won the EV and lost the popular vote by 2.5 million, I would be relieved that Trump wasn't the President. I wouldn't feel good about it from a healthy government standpoint and I would certainly understand why Trump supporters would be outraged about it.

Things are a little different since Clinton would be a check and balance against congress while Trump isn't.

I'll admit that the EC is something I've never truly liked. That said, those are the rules of the game. You strategically campaign to a path to 270. If PV decided the outcome, the campaigns would have been vastly different. Funding and allocation of funds would have been vastly different. More people would likely get out and vote. It's asinine to harp on the PV at this point because it's not what wins the election and all parties knew that from day one. They strategized accordingly. It's somewhat akin to a Wake Forest football team having 400 yards of total offense and still losing 35-28 to a team with 300 total yards. You may have played better all game, but critical errors cost you when it counted.

Yep. They would spend all their time and money in NYC, Cali and other heavily populated area pling up/stealing every possible vote. The voters of many states (not just Wyoming) would have little influence on the election. The primary system would eventually change because who would care about Iowa or New Hampshire?

Yep. They would spend all their time and money in NYC, Cali and other heavily populated area pling up/stealing every possible vote. The voters of many states (not just Wyoming) would have little influence on the election. The primary system would eventually change because who would care about Iowa or New Hampshire?

no one should care about those horrific places #urbanmasterrace

Who cares about Iowa and New Hampshire? Nobody who doesn't live in Iowa and New Hampshire. And why would they? IA has agriculture and important R&D housed in corporate and university environments, but not much else. Im not sure that a case could be made for NH.

Your premise is also flawed because swing states with large populations like OH, PA, NC, FL, VA, etc. still have a lot of people living in them. The same states would continue to get all of the attention. Clinton demolished Trump in NY and CA with little actual GOTV or campaigning effort. I can't imagine that changing.

Back