• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Jeff [Redacted] Show

We're paying him 7 figures????? I never want to hear anybody complain about what we're paying Grobe again. :rulz:

I know his original deal at Colorado was $161k base (university) and athletic department money made the guaranteed figure close to $700k but he had a contract laced w/ academic & performance based incentives that, in essence, gave him pretty damn close to $1MM for a decent year (and that deal was inked in 2007).

I was jumping out on a limb without much concrete evidence with the '7-figure' comment; but my guess is that he's in the $1.1-1.2MM range. Maybe somebody else here can provide more insight there.

"Welcome to the Jeff [Redacted] Show. Unfortunately, I'm Jeff [Redacted]."

Fortunately the radio-show hasn't developed the same 'blocking technology' that [Redacted] found for me on Twitter.

I called in twice last year & got some pretty good questions fired off before they realized I wasn't really calling in to congratulate Coach [Redacted] on his valiant commitment to his culture. I didn't go for any head-shots; but I certainly wanted him to address attendance issues & what plans he had for sparking student interest in the team & filling seats in the Joel despite the record. His answer was jumbled & insufficient, to say the least.

Fortunately the radio-show hasn't developed the same 'blocking technology' that [Redacted] found for me on Twitter.

I called in twice last year & got some pretty good questions fired off before they realized I wasn't really calling in to congratulate Coach [Redacted] on his valiant commitment to his culture. I didn't go for any head-shots; but I certainly wanted him to address attendance issues & what plans he had for sparking student interest in the team & filling seats in the Joel despite the record. His answer was jumbled & insufficient, to say the least.

Shocker there. I am serious, indifference is the answer. The first show all callers should talk about the bowl game and not even ask a basketball related question.

I think it is probably important to link an entire piece and look for context rather than cherrypick things here and there.

http://www.journalnow.net/index.php/mytakeonwake/entry/complacent-comfortable-and-satisfied/

Kinda ironic, since I gathered the quotes from this piece & I included every word from [Redacted] in that article. Regardless... You're right if I was getting the info from Dan's piece & thanks for linking it.

I would encourage anybody who wants to know how 'out-of-context' these quotes from [Redacted] are to search through some of the archived stories from the Nuggets and Colorado days. His waning weeks in Denver were true comedy and painted a picture of a sad, sad little man.

So what, I pressed, can you do to make sure you don’t get complacent, comfortable and satisfied.

“I hope that was a good enough lesson right there,’’ Harris said of the eight-point home loss to Richmond. “You don’t want to have to keep experiencing it before you learn it. But if that doesn’t get us going, and understanding we need to play for 40 minutes, then I don’t know what to tell you.’‘

It's a good thing I don't have the ability to pull scholarships. Players who can't get up for every game don't deserve to have their Wake education paid for.

Complacent? Satisfied?....What the hell could ANY member of this team have to be Complacent or Satisfied with?!!

They won 8 games last year....will be lucky to win 12 this year. These guys should play every game like it's the last time they'll step on the floor and leave it all out there. I don't care if THIS exact team wins 20 games this year..they still wouldn't have the right to be SATISFIED!

Unbelievable...

It's a good thing I don't have the ability to pull scholarships. Players who can't get up for every game don't deserve to have their Wake education paid for.

At least go out and play with effort and intensity every game. I call understand a player having a hard time getting amped up for every single game, but I don't think you have to be ready to run threw walls to go out and play hard.

I generally think the effort of our football teams is really good, but the Vandy game was pitiful. I mean after we went up 7-6 it was like the guys said "that's enough for tonight, we're done."

Just to preempt the throws-the-kids-under-the-bus-at-ever-opportunity nitpickers this year, Mark Turgeon at MD has already far exceeded anything Bz has ever said. He said he was shocked to find out that his players were not "brighter."

:thumbsup:

“Coach told me a quote last year that I never forgot,’’ McKie said. “He was like `In 40 minutes, you spend five minutes with the ball and the other 35 minutes you’re not going to have the ball. So how are you going to affect the game without the ball in your hands.’ That’s something we haven’t learned or grasped yet."

This is sad for a couple of reasons.

Not the least of which is that 5-years ago; if a Wake Basketball player prefaced something with "Coach told me a quote last year that I never forgot"... we prepared ourselves for a witty, deeply intellectual and profoundly meaningful tidbit of wisdom.

Now; we are greeted with with quotes that make very little sense (both in terms of actual logic & the game of basketball)

...and then, just for kicks, we get a punch-in-the-gut reminder ("that's something we haven't learned or grasped yet") that the coach who is peddling that bit of genius; hasn't been able to teach it or the philosophy behind it to his own players.

What doesn't make sense to you about that? Rebounding and defense are two of our weakest areas, and you don't have the ball for either. Seems pretty logical. For instance, if Carson got 10 rebounds a game, nobody would give a shit about his weak ass 4 or 5 points a game.

That quote makes a lot of sense, and if it's imparting the idea that players need to build their skills in defense, getting open, and helping others get open, then it's valid coaching.

Just to preempt the throws-the-kids-under-the-bus-at-ever-opportunity nitpickers this year, Mark Turgeon at MD has already far exceeded anything Bz has ever said. He said he was shocked to find out that his players were not "brighter."

:thumbsup:

Bz waited to jump ship from Colorado before he blamed the GPA's of the players he had to coach there for his own lack of success.

You see there! That's culture. :thumbsup:

“Coach told me a quote last year that I never forgot,’’ McKie said. “He was like `In 40 minutes, you spend five minutes with the ball and the other 35 minutes you’re not going to have the ball. So how are you going to affect the game without the ball in your hands.’ That’s something we haven’t learned or grasped yet."

This is sad for a couple of reasons.

Not the least of which is that 5-years ago; if a Wake Basketball player prefaced something with "Coach told me a quote last year that I never forgot"... we prepared ourselves for a witty, deeply intellectual and profoundly meaningful tidbit of wisdom.

Now; we are greeted with with quotes that make very little sense (both in terms of actual logic & the game of basketball)

...and then, just for kicks, we get a punch-in-the-gut reminder ("that's something we haven't learned or grasped yet") that the coach who is peddling that bit of genius; hasn't been able to teach it or the philosophy behind it to his own players.

Looks like a valid coaching point followed by your typically idiotic commentary.

That quote makes a lot of sense, and if it's imparting the idea that players need to build their skills in defense, getting open, and helping others get open, then it's valid coaching.

That he (by McKie's own statement) can't teach.

That he (by McKie's own statement) can't teach.

You're right. McKie said that the coach can't teach him that, you know, after he taught him that in the first place.....

He was saying they haven't grasped that as a team. They are not executing what they have been taught.

Back