• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Jeff [Redacted] Show

Rather than trying (and failing) to pervert obscure quotes from players, I think BuzzOut is better off focusing on the fact that we might lose to High Point as the centerpiece of our derision.

I just think its an NBA-philosophy that doesn't translate on this level (and in many ways, indicative of why Bz has been so abysmal in the collegiate ranks).

He's trying to emphasize the 35 minutes without the ball; but he's inadvertently implying that every player is going to be entitled to equal (and statistically impossible) parts in terms of individual contributions to the team.

With the ball & without the ball... IMO, College Basketball has far more to do with coaching players as part of a team & system rather than focusing on the individual ego-stroking it takes succeed in the 24-shot clock (and the 1-on-1 style basketball it creates) play in the NBA.

Look at the end of game play-calling that Bz has (admittedly) been so good with (both ACC-Big Ten Challenge games and the Miami game at home last year that got JTT a wide open look all come to mind)... They were all fast-paced (<24-second) situations where he was able to draw up an offense designed to get the ball in the hands of a specific player & let him look for a high-screen to set up a shot/drive rather than a pass.

I think he's great with X's and O's sometimes... but I also think his 'culture' (and the personnel he'll have to coach because of it) is geared more towards team-style basketball than the individual-style play that has appeared (to me, at least) to be his strength as a coach on the court.

I just think its an NBA-philosophy that doesn't translate on this level (and in many ways, indicative of why Bz has been so abysmal in the collegiate ranks).

He's trying to emphasize the 35 minutes without the ball; but he's inadvertently implying that every player is going to be entitled to equal (and statistically impossible) parts in terms of individual contributions to the team.

With the ball & without the ball... IMO, College Basketball has far more to do with coaching players as part of a team & system rather than focusing on the individual ego-stroking it takes succeed in the 24-shot clock (and the 1-on-1 style basketball it creates) play in the NBA.

Look at the end of game play-calling that Bz has (admittedly) been so good with (both ACC-Big Ten Challenge games and the Miami game at home last year that got JTT a wide open look all come to mind)... They were all fast-paced (<24-second) situations where he was able to draw up an offense designed to get the ball in the hands of a specific player & let him look for a high-screen to set up a shot/drive rather than a pass.

I think he's great with X's and O's sometimes... but I also think his 'culture' (and the personnel he'll have to coach because of it) is geared more towards team-style basketball than the individual-style play that has appeared (to me, at least) to be his strength as a coach on the court.

You're out of your mind. He's trying to stress that being successful means more than what happens when you have the ball in your hands (ie dribbling and shooting). You have to also play defense, rebound, move, etc.

It's a concept most players should be able to grasp by 6th grade.

LOL at the parsing of that cliched and not all that meaningful coaching quote. That is something any coach at any time could say.

If Buzz teaches rebounding so well, why are his teams almost always so abysmal in the rebounding statistics?

Please tell me you are not actually a Wake grad.

i mostly agree that the mckie quote does not really indicate much. it is a legit point. a bball player spends more time without the ball than with.

it is entirely possible that bzz is a good basketball mind and knows a lot. it is also entirely possible that he can not teach.

bzz knows more about basketball than i ever will. however, he has not shown the ability to help most college kids get what he is teaching and that shows in his career record.

if i had an adult beverage in front of me i would toast to him finding success here at wake. soon.

Meh; I'll admit... I got overly enthusiastic in trying to argue a point that was misguided given the actual quotes I was responding to. I was wrong & I apologize for wasting anybody's time who got caught up in those misplaced rants.

I just have a hot-button on that and am extremely, extremely hopeful that Bz will keep this group of kids together (and playing as a team) better this year.

The lack of energy and motivation quotes springing up this early make me a little queezy. Stomaching losses will be much easier this year (especially knowing what an easy group of guys they are to pull for) if they play hard.

I think you're parsing the statement to the point where you're seeing things that aren't there. He's pointing out that games are won by what guys do when they don't have the ball, and doing it by illustrating how much time one player spends without the ball in his hands. It sounds like a pretty good teaching point to me.

Changing the subject ... one of the two freshman non-scholarship players recently added quit the team within a week because it was "too intense." He found that he could not keep up in practice and was overwhelmed by the whole experience ...
Not a comment on Bz or the team as much as it was about how that individual reacted to the higher than anticipated commitment and expectations.

yeah!!!!! If we're too intense for whitey, then good work bzz!!

“Coach told me a quote last year that I never forgot,’’ McKie said. “He was like `In 40 minutes, you spend five minutes with the ball and the other 35 minutes you’re not going to have the ball. So how are you going to affect the game without the ball in your hands.’ That’s something we haven’t learned or grasped yet."

This is sad for a couple of reasons.

Not the least of which is that 5-years ago; if a Wake Basketball player prefaced something with "Coach told me a quote last year that I never forgot"... we prepared ourselves for a witty, deeply intellectual and profoundly meaningful tidbit of wisdom.

Now; we are greeted with with quotes that make very little sense (both in terms of actual logic & the game of basketball)

...and then, just for kicks, we get a punch-in-the-gut reminder ("that's something we haven't learned or grasped yet") that the coach who is peddling that bit of genius; hasn't been able to teach it or the philosophy behind it to his own players.

I'm certainly BzzzOut, but that quote does make sense and makes a great point.

Changing the subject ... one of the two freshman non-scholarship players recently added quit the team within a week because it was "too intense." He found that he could not keep up in practice and was overwhelmed by the whole experience ...
Not a comment on Bz or the team as much as it was about how that individual reacted to the higher than anticipated commitment and expectations.

Can't really blame him. It's a lot of work for little reward.

Question: Bears, Beats or Battlestar Galactica?

Answer: BSG, but the original. Buddy.

he's just p!ssed that post culture change the hood rats no longer travel with the team.

Rather than trying (and failing) to pervert obscure quotes from players, I think BuzzOut is better off focusing on the fact that we might lose to High Point as the centerpiece of our derision.

I would welcome this sentiment from BuzzOut the entire year.

"Ty has been practicing well and has a sense of urgency with this being his last semester"

Back