• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Lynch Nomination

ONW

Reaction score
""The fact that she has now been lingering in this limbo for longer than the five previous attorney general nominees combined makes no sense."

Last Sunday, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell told CNN he would not schedule a vote for Lynch until an otherwise bipartisan human trafficking bill -- stalled over an abortion provision opposed by most Democrats -- passes the chamber.

Democrats accuse Republicans of sneaking language into the human trafficking bill to prevent women from using restitution funds paid by perpetrators to get an abortion, although that provision was in the bill that passed the committee.

Until there's a vote on the trafficking bill, Lynch's nomination remains in limbo."

Republican governance...getting shit done. I honestly hate McConnell's condescending turtle looking dumb ass. WTF does an abortion provision have to do with confirming an AG? Can anyone on the right explain to me how this isn't the action of an obstructionist, dickhead whose idea of leading is stomping his feet like a child in a playground until he gets his way? I'm open to hearing how this is justified.

I'm not sure what leverage Republicans think they have by holding up Lynch. There is already an AG who happens to be one republicans hate. DOJ is still getting things done.

Dems, the new party of No.

AIUI, the 'provision' in dispute is an continuation of existing federal law. Reid's goal here is to make the republicans seem unready to govern; a trick for which ONW immediately fell.

Frankly, given how politicised the DOJ has become under obama, I don't see how a delay makes that department any more dysfunctional.

Dems, the new party of No.

AIUI, the 'provision' in dispute is an continuation of existing federal law. Reid's goal here is to make the republicans seem unready to govern; a trick for which ONW immediately fell.

Frankly, given how politicised the DOJ has become under obama, I don't see how a delay makes that department any more dysfunctional.

Did you read the article? Pretty much everything you understand is incorrect.

You realize the Republicans are keeping it from even getting the point where Democrats can say no right? The provision was slipped into the bill by John Cornyn after the committee agreed to pass it.

Turtle won't let the Senate vote on the AG until they vote on this bill, and there's no procedural reason why they can't vote on the AG without voting on this bill without his refusal to do so.

It's not an extension of federal law because the Hyde Amendment isn't a law. It is a "rider" which isn't permanent and is attached to an annual appropriations bill. It's intent was to address federal funds being used for abortions with exceptions. It doesn't really have anything to do with human trafficking.

To say the Democrats are the problem here is laughable, but I guess you fell for that trick immediately.

You know, the thing...with the thing...IRS...Benghazi...

Well, that and DOJ wasn't politicized at all when Alberto Gonzalez was AG.

The DOJ is politicized because Eric Holder went to Ferguson. Or something like that. Honkeys have been worried ever since the President was elected that black folks would start taking back what was taken from them over about 400 years.

It's been politicized since Edmund Randolph stole French messages.

It's been politicized since Edmund Randolph stole French messages.

You don't go right from Meese to Randolph. You build up to it. You go to Griffin Bell, then Robert Bork and the Saturday Night Massacre, then Katzenback and so on.

You don't go right from Meese to Randolph. You build up to it. You go to Griffin Bell, then Robert Bork and the Saturday Night Massacre, then Katzenback and so on.

Figured I'd nip it in the bud.

"Now, when I say if wanna kill yourself, don't fuck around with it. Go on and do it expeditiously! Now go on and jump! JUMP!"

-bym

"Now, when I say if wanna kill yourself, don't fuck around with it. Go on and do it expeditiously! Now go on and jump! JUMP!"

-bym

What are you waiting for? Stop dithering and jump.

So it must be asked, is this why Lynch's nomination was held up? She's been working on this case against FIFA for several years. A month on the job she comes out guns blazing against some of the most influential people in the world.

Back