• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Manning Buyout

Where those the two estimates at the time?

I assume $14.7M is the whole thing and they don’t owe anymore.

The Wake insiders were all in for Manning, defending him on Twitter and other nonsense. I assume that wasn’t for show. You don’t have to be smart or savvy about college sports to be rich enough to bankroll coaches.
And the $18M is likely what the buyout would have been had we acted a year earlier. The timing of Wellman’s departure was likely not coincidence given the timing and magnitude of this high profile failure.

To me this is an example of how two things can be true. YES Ron did amazing things for Wake Forest sports overall. And YES Ron is pretty much responsible for the cratering of men’s basketball. I don’t think one outweighs the other, though.
100% agree with this. I realize it's a message board but not everything has to be black and white. No difference than Dave Odom was great for Wake AND it was time for him to go when he did

there are literally hundreds of college administrators who if given the chance to be the AD at Wake for 25 or so years, could have done at the bare minimum an equal job to what Wellman did. Wellman is not special at all. The only thing noteworthy about him is his longevity and the fact that he absolutely murdered the signature sport at WFU. Ohhhh, he built some nice buildings while he was at Wake.....so did every single one of his contemporaries in the ACC, SEC and Big Ten

there are literally hundreds of college administrators who if given the chance to be the AD at Wake for 25 or so years, could have done at the bare minimum an equal job to what Wellman did. Wellman is not special at all. The only thing noteworthy about him is his longevity and the fact that he absolutely murdered the signature sport at WFU.
Just because hundreds of other could've done it doesn't detract from what he DID accomplish

To me this is an example of how two things can be true. YES Ron did amazing things for Wake Forest sports overall. And YES Ron is pretty much responsible for the cratering of men’s basketball. I don’t think one outweighs the other, though.
I generally agree, but I think the damage done with basketball (and particularly the Manning extension, now that we know the extent of it) cancels out most, if not all, of the good Wellman did.

Just because hundreds of other could've done it doesn't detract from what he DID accomplish
What's that? Convince loads of people during a time of exploding income inequality to donate some of their extra funds to the athletic department of the university from which they graduated?

Could he also sell lemonade on hot days as a child?

What's that? Convince loads of people during a time of exploding income inequality to donate some of their extra funds to the athletic department of the university in which they graduated from?

well.... my best selling does come when people have more money

I haven't gone back to read old posts on this, but I think I was firmly in the camp that the $15M number had to complete BS because nobody would be dumb enough to put that into a contract extension of a coach who was clearly terrible and already on the hot seat at that time.

But I guess I was wrong. Wow.

omg i forgot about the source tiers

i think i was on the right side of this one

goodman is a dick, but he's got sources
With all this talk of “sources”, I think we should collectively come up with a way to grade the quality of sources. That way a poster can protect their sources’ identity, while also letting us uniformed posters know how much we should trust them. I would propose:

Grade 1 Source: John Currie, Nathaniel Hatch, Mit Shah, or Danny Manning
Grade 2: An AD employee
Grade 3: An athletics donor that is not one of the super big ones, but definitely donates enough to know shit.
Grade 4: Someone that was at one point involved in Deacon Club or whatever and knew stuff then, but no longer really does.
Grade 5: Someone who lives within 10 miles of campus
Grade 6: Someone who really, really loves Wake sports
This post was far and away my biggest ever contribution to OGboards.com.

Although the number of people that ran with it as a serious concept was startling.

What's that? Convince loads of people during a time of exploding income inequality to donate some of their extra funds to the athletic department of the university from which they graduated?

Overall he did a poor job over his entire span as AD.
but there was a time, 2001 to roughly 2008/09 or so that he was pretty highly regarded. Let's not totally rewrite history

there are literally hundreds of college administrators who if given the chance to be the AD at Wake for 25 or so years, could have done at the bare minimum an equal job to what Wellman did. Wellman is not special at all. The only thing noteworthy about him is his longevity and the fact that he absolutely murdered the signature sport at WFU. Ohhhh, he built some nice buildings while he was at Wake.....so did every single one of his contemporaries in the ACC, SEC and Big Ten
Not that anyone cares or is interested in a rational discussion, but my sense is that people generally liked working for him, from administrators to coaches. I can't speak to his ability to navigate the broader college athletics landscape, but he did have some prominent positions nationally. He made some exceptional hires and some really terrible one, and at the end of the day that's really all that matters. He certainly left most sports at Wake (MBB the most glaring and problematic exclusion) better than he found them.

I really don't think it's hyperbole to state that had we not hired Currie, we would have absolutely NEVER gotten Forbes and I'm not convinced (based upon some inside sources) that Clawson would still be here.
I met the man on a few occasions at some fundraising events. One of the most pompous assholes I've ever encountered in a fundraising capacity. I'm blessed to contribute some decent size checks to the program and he wouldn't give me the time of day or many others for that matter. Currie on the other hand? Shakes my hand and is genuine doing so and I give a PALTRY amount compared to the whales like McCreary and Shah.

#gojohncurriego

Fuck Ron Wellman! Fuck him in his fucking ass with a fucking barb wire wrapped baseball bat!

Last edited:
Do we need to give Wellman credit for stealing a national championship women's golf coach from a fellow ACC team?

Back