• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Manning Buyout

Just here to float a lifting of the RJ ban so we can hear an explanation for this one.

Yeah I was thinking the extension of a really short leash on the condition that he come clean on this failure here. Hilarity to ensue but it could quickly get outweighed by the rest of the baggage without decent guardrails.

Just here to float a lifting of the RJ ban so we can hear an explanation for this one.
How about we don't. Assume he'd respond thusly:

"I said there was NO way the $15 to 18 millin figure was right. $14.7 million is NOT between 15 and 18."
"Wake has some of the best accountants in the wrld. Eveyrone knows that a number like that is a HUGE tax write off. I assume you think every number in a tax return is TRUE? Even Steveie Wonder could see why it is in Wake's interest to claim a humber so big."

I mean, feel free to throw in some extra "My bad"s or "NAH"s to make it feel more authentic.

I haven’t looked at the what I posted about it. But I feel like I learned my lesson about disbelieving Goodman after [Redacted]’s name popped out of nowhere during that search.

I assumed the buyout would be significant but would get negotiated down some but that sure doesn’t seem to have been the case.

Last edited:
I haven’t looked at the what I posted about you it. But I feel like I learned my lesson about disbelieving Goodman after [Redacted]’s name popped out of nowhere during that search.

I assumed the buyout would be significant but would get negotiated down some but that sure doesn’t seem to have been the case.

I can believe we made an effort to negotiate it down and got smoked, Kevin Ollie style.

Fuck Ron Wellman! Fuck him in his fucking ass with a fucking barb wire wrapped baseball bat!
I'm behind but this is amazing and the band should play it for every wake basket ball for ever and ever amen.

Fuck Ron Wellman! Fuck him in his fucking ass

<Emphasize each word fuck ron wellman then speed up the next line and repeat. Standing ovation everytime.

I haven’t looked at the what I posted about you it. But I feel like I learned my lesson about disbelieving Goodman after [Redacted]’s name popped out of nowhere during that search.

What's also interesting is that it was still owed despite the fact that Manning took a job with Maryland in 2021. So it's likely that Manning was owed $18M in 2020, it went down a bit in 2021 based upon another year reducing it down. Wake likely tried to argue "for cause" but it was just such a bad contract with a massive buyout and one that didn't get reduced based on taking another job. Wellman certainly takes the L on this one but there had to have been a number of people on Wake's side involved in negotiating and drafting that contract.

What's also interesting is that it was still owed despite the fact that Manning took a job with Maryland in 2021. So it's likely that Manning was owed $18M in 2020, it went down a bit in 2021 based upon another year reducing it down. Wake likely tried to argue "for cause" but it was just such a bad contract with a massive buyout and one that didn't get reduced based on taking another job. Wellman certainly takes the L on this one but there had to have been a number of people on Wake's side involved in negotiating and drafting that contract.
But he wasn't head coach, so I doubt that mattered a lot. (if the agent was any good and we are seeing how good he was )

To me the argument about Wellman’s legacy is like WAR. Is there another AD who could have done all the good that he did in building up our programs? Of course.

Could that person have also managed to do so without obliterating our by far most important sport in the meantime? Also yes.

Therefore Wellman is found wanting. You can’t just say the good outweighs the bad. Because we needed someone who was 100% awesome. Someone who would build up all our programs, and destroy none of them, particularly the one belonging to Tim Duncan and Chris Paul. Once you’ve done that, nothing else you did matters.
I think that's a fair assessment, and in the 100 years or so of Wake Forest athletics the following happened in his tenure as AD:

5/10 Team National Championships
7/10 Individual NCAA Championships
22/56 ACC Championships (including 2/4 MBB and 1/2 FB)
Major facilities upgrades for almost all sports venues.

Now it's fine to argue whether those things happened to or because of Wellman, but they did happen.

I think that's a fair assessment, and in the 100 years or so of Wake Forest athletics the following happened in his tenure as AD:

5/10 Team National Championships
7/10 Individual NCAA Championships
22/56 ACC Championships (including 2/4 MBB and 1/2 FB)
Major facilities upgrades for almost all sports venues.

Now it's fine to argue whether those things happened to or because of Wellman, but they did happen.
but we didn't ever go to 7 straight exhibition bowl games during his tenure. don't forget that

I really cannot believe that after the [Redacted] disaster, Wellman was allowed to draft and sign this contract with manning without any oversight.

Back