• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Manning Buyout

A better home court would unquestionably help our recruiting. Not sure how that is even debatable.
unquestionably? GT just renovated their smallish home court. It's on campus. Did they experience an uptick in recruiting?

The point I was making about Cameron is that K surely wasn't using it as a grand selling point until his winning made it a selling point.

You can nitpick on the details but, the question was whether the Joel was a bad environment during the Duncan, Childress years - in other words, when we were good. The answer to that question is an unequivocal No - it was not a bad environment. It was a great environment. Were there some empty seat for anything other than the biggest game - probably. But I was there for a lot of games and it was pretty damn full and very loud!
The Joel was a massive liability particularly during this time frame. There were 1000s of empty seats. The most impactful seats were owned by old folks as they are today forcing the students off in the corners which produced what was a better atmosphere than we have today--but still far below those schools which actually won in that era. The Joel cost us significantly at that time both in terms of recruiting and on court success.

The Joel was a massive liability particularly during this time frame. There were 1000s of empty seats. The most impactful seats were owned by old folks as they are today forcing the students off in the corners which produced what was a better atmosphere than we have today--but still far below those schools which actually won in that era. The Joel cost us significantly at that time both in terms of recruiting and on court success.
To imply that we were not successful in that era is just absurd. From 1992 to 1999 we never finished less than fourth, were co-conference Regular Season Champions once and had 3 player of the year awards.
oh and we went 100-16 at home over that stretch

To imply that we were not successful in that era is just absurd. From 1992 to 1999 we never finished less than fourth, were co-conference Regular Season Champions once and had 3 player of the year awards.
oh and we went 100-16 at home over that stretch

Yeah. But think how great we could have been. We would have won the National Championship in 1995 and made the Final Four in 1996 and 1997 if we had a different home court.

Mean the real issue is that every time we were poised to take the program to the next level we had some sort of postseason flame out which set us back to square one.

Keep saying it and some people will believe you. Whatever factor the Joel has played in the success of our basketball team is so far down the list as to be insignificant. It certainly is not worth all the discussion that it has garnered over the years. At some point in the future when/if we have the money and the inclination to replace the Joel then it will be imperative that the new arena be designed to be optimal for basketball, of course. In the meantime, lots of suggestions have been made here of ways to improve the Joel without replacing it - I would be in favor of funding those but I don't know whether the powers that be have that on the list for the near future.

We disagree Scooter. And no, I will not stop talking about it and fall in line with the rest of the broke Wake Forest alums who keep up and shut up. You can choose not to engage me if you want -- that's certainly your choice.

We disagree Scooter. And no, I will not stop talking about it and fall in line with the rest of the broke Wake Forest alums who keep up and shut up. You can choose not to engage me if you want -- that's certainly your choice.
i don't mind hearing your opinion. I just think you should support it with factual accuracy instead of made up stuff. When we had good teams, the Joel did NOT hurt our performance. That's a fact.
If you BELIEVE it hurt recruiting. so be it...even better if you have first hand knowledge of kids not coming here because of the Joel. But spewing stuff like the Joel hurt our on court performance during the Childress/Duncan era is just objectively incorrect.

I do have lots of first hand knowledge of kids not coming to Wake because of the Joel.

It is simply not a fact as you say that the Joel hasn’t hurt us. It’s crushed us when we needed it the most.

I do have lots of first hand knowledge of kids not coming to Wake because of the Joel.

It is simply not a fact as you say that the Joel hasn’t hurt us. It’s crushed us when we needed it the most.
100-16 record at the Joel from 1992 to 1999. How did it hurt on court performance as you suggested?

Duke over the same period in the fortress known as Cameron Indoor Stadium 93-19 record

Last edited:
This thread got me thinking about our pitching lab and how that's helped big time with recruiting and seemingly player development.

What could be the equivalent of a pitching lab for basketball? We need an edge. And don't say new arena DR.

This thread got me thinking about our pitching lab and how that's helped big time with recruiting and seemingly player development.

What could be the equivalent of a pitching lab for basketball? We need an edge. And don't say new arena DR.
We already built it in the new Sutton and Shah facilities. Hyrdotherapy, chryotherapy, nutrition center, etc. We also have been tracking advanced analytics since at least Manning, and maybe started some under [Redacted] with wearable technology. Just look at Damari rehabbing with anti-gravity equipment.

02Tn47QVlIEpRvHr.jpg

We already built it in the new Sutton and Shah facilities. Hyrdotherapy, chryontherapy, nutrition center, etc. We also have been tracking advanced analytics since at least Manning, and maybe started some under [Redacted] with wearable technology. Just look at Damari rehabbing with anti-gravity equipment.

02Tn47QVlIEpRvHr.jpg
Very nice!

You are a one string banjo calling everyone broke. You don’t know what anyone on this thread makes or is worth, asshole. I’ll bet anything there are folks here that fart more money than you will ever make, “Donnie Warbucks”.

Back