• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Nation saw how Duke wins Games

Well they clearly missed a call there. Send it up to a review crew with modern equipment if time is a concern, it took most of us without vision problems about 20 seconds to see that the ball went off Winslow tonight.

No argument there. I think it would be far better to have a crew watching an HD screen removed from the floor and commentary to quickly confirm/overturn those calls.

You all had to know what was going to happen when Duke got down 9. The refs, predictably, swallowed their whistles and they had free range to do whatever they wanted. 3 missed charges on Winslow, a flop by Tyus Jones, and the blown out of bounds call did it. Also, Duke was in the double bonus with over 9 minutes to go in the game.

K wasn't kidding when he said he wanted to see more fouls called in the second half. The refs delivered.

Well it is clearly without a doubt off Duke so...

I'll admit it took a few angles before I could tell for sure. Maybe the refs never got that replay and maybe it is hard to tell on the screen they got to use. Obviously I have no idea. The ball is off Duke though. No question.

Sure, not arguing that.

Whether a fingertip brushed a ball that was whacked out of bounds by Wisconsin is one thing. Dekker shooting 0% from deep is another.

Sure, not arguing that.

Whether a fingertip brushed a ball that was whacked out of bounds by Wisconsin is one thing. Dekker shooting 0% from deep is another.

To be fair you did ask "how obvious is this" and it was fairly obvious in the clip you linked.

Justise Winslow also went out of the bounds with the ball just before they got a late dunk, and Winslow should have fouled out three times. It wasn't just that one no-call he got. He seriously was given three no-calls to keep him in the game.

Sorry. While I freely admit I hate Duke and it colors my perceptions often, the second half of that game, especially the last ten minutes, was just terribly officiated one way.

And Winslow should have picked up his fourth on that charge. And he stepped out of bounds late.

But come on. I hate the shit out of Duke but Bo Ryan is yelling at his guys to take it inside against a Duke team with Okafor and Plumlee on the bench and they couldn't get it done. The let Grayson Allen dominate them for a stretch and Tyus Jones hit some crazy shots. I think Wisconsin was the better team, but they still got beat by Duke twice this year.

Villanova was a fraud and so was Gonzaga. Duke got an easy road and had more in the tank for this game. They got lucky and played well. Same can be said for pretty much every team that wins a National Championship.

Hey guys, did you hear that Okafor has NEVER IN HIS CAREER fouled out of a game!? Unbelievable.

Oh yes, this was when Grayson Allen lost it out of bounds on the drive. No replay. Definitely off of him.

Of course replay is only in the last 2 min.

Also, I didn't think it was off dook, until the one replay showed his finger bend backwards in an unnatural way.

Of course replay is only in the last 2 min.

Also, I didn't think it was off dook, until the one replay showed his finger bend backwards in an unnatural way.

I understand there is no replay review. I just meant I never saw a replay to confirm my initial thought. I was talking about a different play. It was on the Wisconsin offensive end.

Dekker was 15/30 from deep in the tournament before that game. Averaged 21 points. Tonight zero percent from deep and 12 points and his first sub 50% shooting night featuring multiple airballs. Wisconsin's bench scored 7 points.

Bad calls or not, dude didn't show up and Wisconsin lost. That's how Duke won this game. Just like they won the first time they played Wisconsin and he only scored 5 points.

You think a game that saw one team in the double bonus with 9 minutes to go, and the other having a foul to give with 20 seconds left, was consistently officiated?

This.

The refs started to change the way the game was called when Winslow picked up his 4th foul at about the 13 minute mark, and the freshman guard Allen, scored the next 8 points for Duke to cut a 7 point lead down to 3. After that Wisconsin only made 3 FGs in roughly the next 9 minutes while having 7 fouls called against them compared to just 2 for Duke. Granted Wisconsin took some poor shots during that stretch, most likely out of frustration, but during this stretch the refs were not calling fouls on Duke when the refs were calling fouls on Wisconsin for a lot less. Finally, the OP summed up the final 4 minutes quite nicely.

Call me a conspiracy theorist all you want, but I believe the NCAA wanted Duke to win this game to "give" Coach K his 5th National Title and be considered the greatest College BB Coach of all time. Personally, I believe that the NCAA, along with CBS (they have paid billions for this tournament, and if you believe that CBS does not have some say in the seeding and teams they would like in the Final Four, then I believe you are very naive) wanted a Kentucky vs. Duke match up. Imagine the hype of a possibly undefeated Kentucky vs Duke with Coack K going for his 5th NT. Remember, this game is still on TV, and sports are the "purest" drama that there is. Not to mention that this was the first time a #1 seed did not either win their regular season conference or tournament title, and if Duke was the 4th #1 seed with arguably the easiest road to the Final 4, then they should have been playing Kentucky in the Semi-Finals. I could go on and on about the latter, but I am sure some people will call me crazy for just the material I mentioned above let alone what I could go into.

Last edited:
Justise Winslow also went out of the bounds with the ball just before they got a late dunk, and Winslow should have fouled out three times. It wasn't just that one no-call he got. He seriously was given three no-calls to keep him in the game.

Sorry. While I freely admit I hate Duke and it colors my perceptions often, the second half of that game, especially the last ten minutes, was just terribly officiated one way.

Would you like to see my surprised face?

This.

The refs started to change the way the game was called when Winslow picked up his 4th foul at about the 13 minute mark, and the freshman guard Allen, scored the next 8 points for Duke to cut a 7 point lead down to 3. After that Wisconsin only made 3 FGs in roughly the next 9 minutes while having 7 fouls called against them compared to just 2 for Duke. Granted Wisconsin took some poor shots during that stretch, most likely out of frustration, but during this stretch the refs were not calling fouls on Duke when the refs were calling fouls on Wisconsin for a lot less. Finally, the OP summed up the final 4 minutes quite nicely.

Call me a conspiracy theorist all you want, but I believe the NCAA wanted Duke to win this game to "give" Coach K his 5th National Title and be considered the greatest College BB Coach of all time. Personally, I believe that the NCAA, along with CBS (they have paid billions for this tournament, and if you believe that CBS does not have some say in the seeding and teams they would like in the Final Four, then I believe you are very naive) wanted a Kentucky vs. Duke match up. Imagine the hype of a possibly undefeated Kentucky vs Duke with Coack K going for his 5th NT. Remember, this game is still on TV, and sports are the "purest" drama that there is. Not to mention that this was the first time a #1 seed did not either win their regular season conference or tournament title, and if Duke was the 4th #1 seed with arguably the easiest road to the Final 4, then they should have been playing Kentucky in the Semi-Finals. I could go on and on about the latter, but I am sure some people will call me crazy for just the material I mentioned above let alone what I could go into.

Go ahead. I like conspiracy theories.

Duke does get the calls and always has. I will say Kaminsky should've been whistled for an intentional when he bear hugged Okafor.

I was kind of wondering about this. He obviously fouled him intentionally, but there was clearly no malicious intent. I would imagine this falls under a category like end game fouling where the fouls are intended, but not intentional fouls.

Received this glorious negrep from deacfreke2. Amazing.

"It's too bad WFU has miserable sacks of shit fans like you, but that's not really fair to sacks of shit as you're far worse."

In response, of course, to some duke negrep.

I like how rat face is too busy to speak with the halftime reporter for 99.99% of his games, but hurries out at the half for this one to report that the refs aren't calling enough fouls on Wisc. "We can't get any fouls on them" was the comment. It was over after that.

I like how rat face is too busy to speak with the halftime reporter for 99.99% of his games, but hurries out at the half for this one to report that the refs aren't calling enough fouls on Wisc. "We can't get any fouls on them" was the comment. It was over after that.

Yeah, that is funny. I haven't seen him do a halftime interview in forever.

Back