• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The new rules for tipping

bmoney, do you actually think restaurants will not keep a large percentage of what used to be tips? For chains, it would be an easy way for chains to add to their bottom lines. It's free profit.

I also don't really think it would be THAT hard to get rid of tipping. Uber did it basically overnight

True. But people like to tip at bars and restaurants in a way they don't like to tip cab drivers.

I tip well, but I've found that being a hot dude that all the waitresses want to bang and the fellas want to try to be friends with me is most of the perks.

bmoney, do you actually think restaurants will not keep a large percentage of what used to be tips? For chains, it would be an easy way for chains to add to their bottom lines. It's free profit.
Why not just raise the price of food 15%, and give servers 15% of sales as commision. Also make those fuckers pay taxes on their incomes.

Why not just raise the price of food 15%, and give servers 15% of sales as commision. Also make those fuckers pay taxes on their incomes.

Because restaurant owners don't want to have to cover the matching taxes. There is little to no way that restaurants wouldn't charge a fee to servers to do that.

You probably (/hopefully) drink a lot of bartender spit. The fuck.

Yeah because it's really easy to inconspicuously spit in a bottle. I tip bartenders for all beers, but it does seem to be bizarre to tip them for grabbing a bottle out of the fridge when you would never tip the cashier at Chipotle for grabbing you a Snapple out of the fridge

I'm pretty much a straight 20%+ tipper on everything. Usually more, and at the bar where I know the bartenders, usually 30-40% when I go.

You can really tell who's never been a waiter or worked in the business in this thread.

I'm pretty much a straight 20%+ tipper on everything. Usually more, and at the bar where I know the bartenders, usually 30-40% when I go.

You can really tell who's never been a waiter or worked in the business in this thread.

I waited tables for 5 years but 30-40% is crazy. The only time I approach that is when my bill is $10-15 and $2 tip seems too small. Or I'll leave like $5 on a $22 tab. Anything over $30 doesn't get more than 20%, but I'll go $10 on a $45-49 tab. But I'll go $10 on anything from say $45-$56

Last edited:
To be fair, there have been a couple of times where the person working there has been more helpful and guided me on some things to pick up.

I think one the reasons I tip well in those scenarios is imagined guilt. Like at the end of the night, they look at the credit card receipts and say, "this qcdeac was a cheap bastard. He only tipped $3 on $28." So I end up writing 'To-Go' on the receipt, or just tipping a few $ more.

But you don't tip well based on your previous post.

somma y'all need:

1. Work in service industry at some point for perspective
2. More money homie

suckas

I have worked in a service industry. It was just one where tips weren't common. Never bothered me

I'll give like 12-15% in that case. I do it more for capacity reasons than the "work" the bartender did for me. My butt in the stool for an extended period of time in a crowded bar equals potential lost sales from the schmo who comes in and wants to sit at the bar and drink and eat but there isn't a seat (especially if my orders are lagging behind my time there).

I completely empathize with the service industry. I just think they should be guaranteed a living wage and not have their livelihood rely on the arbitrary opinions of the customers (as well as how busy the place is). If restaurants have to change their business model and some can't keep up as a result, then so be it. And if happy-go-lucky people want to give a small tip because of excellent service even though servers are making living wages, then have at it. But tipping automatically is just stupid.

With all that said, I'm not really a big drinker and certainly not a bar regular anywhere.

changing societal norms one stiffed bar tender at a time.

I'm a fan of the "co-op" model in which all employees are part owners, everyone is paid a living wage, and tipping is forbidden.

Utopia. How does one forbid tipping? They'd just give away free drinks, and get tipped anyway. Cash still exists, as difficult as that may be to believe.

No American restaurant owner will ever willingly surrender the advantage that comes with the knowledge that the customers who line the pockets of said owner also pay the employees.

Back