• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"The Newsroom" on HBO

Demonwolverine

Reaction score
Caught the series premier the other night and wanted to know what others thought about it.

My initial reaction was that there was a little too much fake drama. Perhaps I was misinformed as to what this show was going to be, but there just seemed to be too many personal relationships as opposed to portraying how a news room is actually run. I will admit, I have never worked in a news room, so perhaps it is just one big intertwining date fest with tons of interpersonal relations, who knew?

After getting over that minor issue though, I thought the show as a whole was pretty good. Jeff Daniels is one of my favorite actors, and I thought he did a tremendous job in this role. I also like that it is using actual news stories from 2010, so it allows for the viewer to see how shows come together with actual breaking news/tragedies.

Hopefully they can develop characters within the confines of the newsroom, and keep the out of office extracurriculars to a minimum (i know they didn't actually take the relations out of the news room in the pilot, but i'm worried it's coming). Another thing that concerns me is how "preachy" this show could potentially get. Personally, i'm pretty middle of the road, so my feathers aren't going to be ruffled one way or another, but I could see this coming off as a little too idealistic and rustling a few jimmies.

If anyone has actually worked in a news room or similar environment, i'd like to hear their take on how tragic news develops within a news room, and if this is even a remotely accurate portrayal?

The only reaction I had to the promos was that I despise watching the real news channels. Can't imagine I'm going to sit and watch a dramatization of it.

Not enough hot chicks on this show. The main female character is very mousey. Ph would like her.

Not enough hot chicks on this show. The main female character is very mousey. Ph would like her.

He probably did when she was Jack's girlfriend on 30 Rock. The entire time I was watching, I was thinking about how delicate her bones are.

He probably did when she was Jack's girlfriend on 30 Rock. The entire time I was watching, I was thinking about how delicate her bones are.

"Careful. Hollow bones."

That chick? Eww. No way.

I really enjoyed it. I was skeptical during the first act because they started doing the shaky camera crap with 50 different quick zooms. The next thing I knew it was over and 50 minutes had passed.

I watched the first five minutes and recorded the rest. The opening was pretty awesome.

Watched it last night. Really enjoyed it. I think it has the potential to be a great show.

Nope. If you are gonna follow the perfect melding of gore and b00bz that is true blood, you gotta come at me with something better than geriatric dumb and dumber bro screaming at other old white dudes.

Anyone who thinks True Blood is quality television is definitely not the target audience of anything ever written by Aaron Sorkin.

Anyone who thinks True Blood is quality television is definitely not the target audience of anything ever written by Aaron Sorkin.

I enjoy True Blood. I don't think that it's a great TV show, but it's a fun TV show.

I also like Aaron Sorkin. I've gotten to the point where I don't really enjoy the overly forced, rapid fire dialog though.

People who loved West Wing because it allowed them to escape the reality of politics will love this show which allows them to escape the reality of their political leaning.

Thought they needed to give the main guy some redeeming qualities and didn't. No one is that much of an ass at all times, too unrealistic.

Watched it last night. Agree with wolverine. A bit too much fake drama and personal relationship crap, but on the whole was pretty good. Is the Indian guy the main guy from Slumdog? Loved Daniels' rant - pretty much how I feel.

Yes, Dev Patel was the star of Slumdog.

I'd watch a Sorkin show about going to take a shit, so of course I am going to watch this. And I second the "True Blood is fun, The Newsroom is good" thought professed by bym.

"Fox hired someone with three Mohammeds in their name?"

Back