• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"The Newsroom" on HBO

Episode 2 definitely had its moments, but the dialog was pretty annoying in a couple spots. I think one part I disliked if they're gonna stick with the mile a minute snappy talk (which something tells me...) is that when it's two people going back and forth, there's no need to do the rapid fire shots going back and forth from one face/angle to another. Just get them both in the shot and do a longer take, so it's not so jarring. I still find a lot of the underlying stuff here about framing stories really fascinating, especially paired with a storytelling model like a television drama/comedy. I think the show can succeed.

I could do without the whole forced triangular romantic scene between the 3 staff members. But I like the show aside from that. Good cast too.

Episode 2 definitely had its moments, but the dialog was pretty annoying in a couple spots. I think one part I disliked if they're gonna stick with the mile a minute snappy talk (which something tells me...) is that when it's two people going back and forth, there's no need to do the rapid fire shots going back and forth from one face/angle to another. Just get them both in the shot and do a longer take, so it's not so jarring. I still find a lot of the underlying stuff here about framing stories really fascinating, especially paired with a storytelling model like a television drama/comedy. I think the show can succeed.

That's pretty much an Aaron Sorkin thing. Banter very quickly, using big words that most people don't use that quickly.

Liked the first episode, second was meh. Will probably keep watching.

the black staffer was a terrorist in Homeland, probably going to sabotage some shit in this show

the black staffer was a terrorist in Homeland, probably going to sabotage some shit in this show

i was wondering what i recognized him from. he looks a lot younger in this, though i guess thats the point.

speaking of Homeland, I can't wait for season 2 to start

Don't have HBO, so I haven't seen any episodes, but I'm in desperate need for new shows and the previews interested me. Came across this article on Grantland about it:

http://www.grantland.com/blog/holly...d/51842/the-newsroom-aaron-sorkins-toxic-mess

"'It requires no bravery to stand athwart history yelling “I told you so.”

So its what I thought it would be most likely. Still if I can find a free link I'll probably check it out. The dynamics and absurdity of cable news have always interested me.

Last edited:
To be honest half way thru the first episode I checked the guide to see if it was a drama or comedy. Have not seen the 2nd show yet but it does remind me a little of West Wing

Kiiiiiiiinda worried this will be the best part of the series:

555871_485305111496141_577997015_n.jpg

I really liked the first episode so I got my wife to watch the 2nd with me and we both thought it sucked. I groaned at the scene where the EP sends out a mass email by mistake about her love life. That sounds like the 2012 version of a plotline of 3's Company. The Wife has already stated she has no intention of watching episode 3, I prob. will give one more shot.

Watched the first two episodes tonight. Enjoying it but had an interesting take on episode 2. Thought that part of the episode sold itself short with the quirky love aspects, but it very well mirrored their f'ed up news broadcast and the selling out with Palin. Though, at the end of the episode, we finally get a clear direction for the show, similar to how based off that final phone call, there is a direction for the news show.

Or maybe it's just late.

Liked it ok, but there's just something off about the whole show outside of the younger staffers who seem well cast. Bridges is a stretch as such a dominating character, Emily Mortimer seems in over her head with a lot of the dialogue - too bad Marisa Tomei bailed on the role. Agree that the email plot was about as painful as it gets - even Friends in year 12 didn't quite stoop that low.

But the idea for the show is cool and Sorkin always puts together compelling stories with a great pace, so who knows. Maybe he can save it. So far it's just too uneven. For every good moment there's a terrible one.

First, I have to say I enjoy the show.

The only thing I don't get are the constant attempts to make Will McAvoy seem like a kind man. He's a blowhard! The show needs to accept the fact that he is a dick.

Disagree with DC about Mortimer and Daniels - I'm pleased with all the casting. Agree to an extent with Hello. Daniels' character is a hard to work for asshole, but one who is good at what he does. They need to keep that edginess, but if that's all they do, he becomes 2 dimensional. It'll be interesting to see if they are able to straddle the fence of maintaining his asshole nature and keeping him human.

Liked the pilot. Thought the 2nd episode was a steep drop down. Agree with those about the email plot point being cartoonish and groan worthy. As soon as she started to write that email you knew what was going to happen despite things like that never really happening. The set-up was clunky and obvious.

Overall I felt like the 2nd show was way too didactic and preachy, and fear we are just going to get more of that as we move forward. It feels like each character's dialogue is just an opportunity for Sorkin to rant about one state of American news media or another... while throwing in inauthentic interpersonal relationships to remind us this is a show not a lecture.

Last edited:
Disagree with DC about Mortimer and Daniels - I'm pleased with all the casting. Agree to an extent with Hello. Daniels' character is a hard to work for asshole, but one who is good at what he does. They need to keep that edginess, but if that's all they do, he becomes 2 dimensional. It'll be interesting to see if they are able to straddle the fence of maintaining his asshole nature and keeping him human.

I think he pulls off being an asshole just fine. But that part where she's like "ooooooh you were the perfect man" and all that stuff, seems like they wanted a Don Draper for the role. And Mortimer's frantic "knocking over the white board" and "oops I sent an email I'll smash your blackberry" stuff is fine, but her "I own you for an hour, you are mine, etc" power side just comes off as fairly hollow - enough so that when watching it I wondered who they really wanted for that part and wasn't surprised to see Avian Bone Syndrome wasn't their top choice...

Liked everyone else though...

I've very much enjoyed tonight's episode.

Back