• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"The Newsroom" on HBO

thought it was the best ep so far.

"i'm confounded." :rofl:

Last edited:
Caught the premiere episode last night - incredibly preachy and too many over-the-top monologues, but otherwise an enjoyable show. The chemistry between the leads is enough to overcome the heavy-handed Sorkinisms.

Eh, I'm thinking the 1st episode is gonna be the best 1. Caught the 3rd last night, and all this forced relationship crap is starting to ruin it for me.

agree with cville. i'm pretty sure i've already seen this love-triangle with Jim, Pam, and Roy. and with the recent Insufferable TV Character thread, i nominate pretty much every single character on The Newsroom. (other than sam waterson, he's awesome)

Last edited:
Finally saw the first three episodes. I'm a Sorkin fanboy, but this show is the weakest of any out of the gate.

I think the opening monologue set a bar for profundity than other episodes have yet to meet.

Sorkin's never had the success of fleshing out an ensemble that he did with the West Wing. His screenplays tend to tell a great story for one or two characters, but struggle with the rest of the cast. The Indian kid is the worst. Guy is an empty plot device. "Oh, we need this information, let Gandhi interject".

I love Waterson, Daniels has been good, I find the late night producers story interesting, but everything else is a little forced right now.

It will get better, but they need some more compelling storylines. I am not moved by the urgency of your newscasts. SportsNight and Studio 60 were both about TV production, but they did it better, so far.

I heard it mentioned last week that one thing this show needs to be able to do is have shows that aren't driven by the actual newscast. The West Wing had episodes like that. This show needs to find that type of groove.

I heard it mentioned last week that one thing this show needs to be able to do is have shows that aren't driven by the actual newscast. The West Wing had episodes like that. This show needs to find that type of groove.

I agree. I think using actual news, gives the audience too much foresight.

Watched the first episode. Eh. I'll probably watch the next two only because I don't have a TV right now, and must rely on my HBO Go subscription for entertainment. Sam Waterston is pretty awesome, though.

If you enjoy this show and would like to see its real life application, albeit with a slightly different political bent, I suggest the O'Reilly factor

They nailed the fourth episode, really entertaining.

It's entertaining, though Sorkin's only real attempt at not being overtly liberal is for McAvoy to always qualify things with "I'm a card-carrying Republican".

And while I enjoyed episode 4 and thought the last few minutes were good, Sepinwall correctly points out that the news team takes a great satisfaction in getting something right they were supposed to. And also they seem too happy for reporting on a situation in which 6 people were killed and a US Congresswoman was critically injured.

Yes. The last 6 minutes was awesome.

I didnt even make it to the last 6 minutes. I really enjoyed the first few eps that were driven by a singular event, but this last one was mindnumbing with the love triangles and Sorkinesque dialogue. I also have started to really loath the main character, which is not a good sign for a show. The way he constantly talks down to people in an attempt to "change them", which I know is part of his character, is something that I cannot stand in people. Also, for fuck's sake, could they get a less attractive main female character? I know that is extremely shallow, but she is just too mousey/unfortunate looking to be a main character on a major HBO series who isn't taking her clothes off on a regular basis.

i thought this past episode was the best since the first. episodes 2 and 3 tried too hard to mixed all the personal storylines in with the news storylines and this episode actually had them separated and neither was too distracting to the other. i still don't think this is going to be a very good show. if it wasn't on HBO and created by Sorkin nobody would still be talking about it. also agree with StopMakingSense about Daniels and the British chick. there is absolutely nobody to root for on this show. they even had to take the quiet Indian guy and turn him into a Big Foot freak.

i thought this past episode was the best since the first. episodes 2 and 3 tried too hard to mixed all the personal storylines in with the news storylines and this episode actually had them separated and neither was too distracting to the other. i still don't think this is going to be a very good show. if it wasn't on HBO and created by Sorkin nobody would still be talking about it. also agree with StopMakingSense about Daniels and the British chick. there is absolutely nobody to root for on this show. they even had to take the quiet Indian guy and turn him into a Big Foot freak.

True. I deeply miss characters like Josh, Charlie and Sam.

wow, really?

i thought this was the cheesiest episode so far. way too much lovey-dovey stuff.

we need more character background on Tess, they are starting to show her more in shots but still very little character development on her.

Back