• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

"The Newsroom" on HBO

I enjoyed the Series; sure there was a lot of fluff at times but with all the crap on TV I found the Show reasonably intelligent and well acted.

I enjoyed the Series; sure there was a lot of fluff at times but with all the crap on TV I found the Show reasonably intelligent and well acted.

Agreed. I was sad to see it go. We don't have nearly enough pointed criticism of media in general in our society, either.

Could someone summarize the common negative criticisms for the show? I've seen the the first season and genuinely enjoyed it, was I not supposed to?

The first season wasn't bad, and the show's premise should have been a home run.

As it kept going though the relationships and plots get extremely contrived, and pretty much every woman on the show is designed to be a prop for some guy. As soon as you think a Sorkin female is capable or smart or interesting, guaranteed there will be a dialogue about hairstyles coming up.

Plus there's the typical Sorkin criticism of the overwrought dialogue and characters just talking at or past each other... I actually don't mind his rapid-fire, overly clever schtick as much as some. There are just way too many gag-inducing moments - like having Will be a "Republican" as a Sorkin mouthpiece or Maggie in general.

Basically every time something good was brewing and the show started clicking and you thought - hey, I can feel some of that West Wing magic finally - disappointment swiftly follows. I think that's why it was so annoying to people. To some anyway.

Maggie was one of the least likeable characters I can ever remember on television

This show has just become unwatchable. The writing this last season has been God awful.

I agree with the "talking at or past" criticism, it does seem like there are 3 or 4 stage monologues every episode.

This show has just become unwatchable. The writing this last season has been God awful.

I quit watching after about 5 episodes in the first season when I would catch myself audibly groaning about every 5 minutes. I can't imagine it got worse after that.

I really enjoyed the show. It wasn't perfect, but I'm sad to see it go.

Also, why did Jim get progressively worse looking girlfriends over the course of the series

Back