• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

Do we get discounts on RunningWarehouse.com thru the CRC?

so i my tri was yesterday, and the run was terrrrriiibbbllleee... but overall, everything went well! the bike was probably my strongest-feeling section, but man. getting off the bike and convincing my legs that RUNNING was a good idea? they would have none of it. i can proudly say i didn't walk, but LOL at my pace.
i'm officially hooked though; i've never had so much fun at a race event.

Do we get discounts on RunningWarehouse.com thru the CRC?

yeah, 15%.

and congrats lbe! and i know that feeling of when you get off the bike and try to start running. it's not quite a tired feeling. more of a "hmm. this feels weird" sort of feeling. your legs just don't really know what to do...

yeah. i was doing a solid 19-20mph on the bike... then my run pace was .......9:30. couldn't convince them to go any faster, though. sad day.

How on earth does y'all's bodies handle a marathon whilst running less than 60 miles/week?

I guess it depends on how fast you want to be? I've run 4 marathons and don't think I ever topped 50 miles a week...45 would probably be the limit for the first 4.

I've trained for 8 marathons, finished 7. I did some 60 mile weeks during training for 3 of them. Interestingly that included training for the race I DNF. Most of my marathon training has been in the 40-50 mile range. My body didn't react any better or worse with higher mileage, I was just able to run faster.

I've trained for 8 marathons, finished 7. I did some 60 mile weeks during training for 3 of them. Interestingly that included training for the race I DNF. Most of my marathon training has been in the 40-50 mile range. My body didn't react any better or worse with higher mileage, I was just able to run faster.

i've been increasing my mileage this year, just waiting for this to happen. so far, no such luck. i'm hoping for some just total breakthrough at some point though where my body goes "hey, you know what? you've been working awfully hard lately. maybe i'll finally decide to cooperate and move fast for you."

2 weeks ago i ran my first 5k in 10 years.

it did not go well for me. i hope it goes better for you.

Good luck, TW! I ran my first one of the year last weekend and broke 19 for the first time since 1997. I'm calling these new times my post fat dude PRs. My goal is to break 18 before I turn 40 -- I've got 23 months to go.

And yes, I know that breaking 18 isn't that big of a deal -- it's awesome how well the TCTC 40+ set is running these days.

Track workouts are eleventy billion times more fun when the weather is cool and cloudy like today. I'd pay to have this weather every day.

Track workouts are eleventy billion times more fun when the weather is cool and cloudy like today. I'd pay to have this weather every day.

i had 9 miles with 4 miles of fartleks in the middle and the weather was downright perfect for it

i had 9 miles with 4 miles of fartleks in the middle and the weather was downright perfect for it

hmm. y'all ran in something different than i ran in. 7 miles of hill work this morning in the rain. ugh.

Good luck, TW! I ran my first one of the year last weekend and broke 19 for the first time since 1997. I'm calling these new times my post fat dude PRs. My goal is to break 18 before I turn 40 -- I've got 23 months to go.

And yes, I know that breaking 18 isn't that big of a deal -- it's awesome how well the TCTC 40+ set is running these days.

It just hurts to think about what you could run back in the day, doesn't it?

A little, no doubt, yet I am truly inspired by what the 40+ set does around here. I'm not promising that I'll continue to have the desire to get better but improvement is definitely possible if one is willing to work at it well into one's 40s and even 50s. A quick glance at the age-group page in Running Times is humbling!

One of our middle distance guys from the early 90s ran 51.+ FAT at Duke against college kids a couple of weeks ago. At trivia last night a fellow MT alum of yours noted that his college PR was "only" 48 high. He's either 37 or 38 now. Now, I am not at all THAT motivated to run fast. But I don't want to be fat ever again (and trust me, after I stopped running I GOT FAT!). So staying healthy + a modest break 18 goal = enough for me.

Didn't you run a sweet little time in either a half or full while in London? You can't be that far away from the fitness of your glory days!

It just hurts to think about what you could run back in the day, doesn't it?

A little, no doubt, yet I am truly inspired by what the 40+ set does around here. I'm not promising that I'll continue to have the desire to get better but improvement is definitely possible if one is willing to work at it well into one's 40s and even 50s. A quick glance at the age-group page in Running Times is humbling!

One of our middle distance guys from the early 90s ran 51.+ FAT at Duke against college kids a couple of weeks ago. At trivia last night a fellow MT alum of yours noted that his college PR was "only" 48 high. He's either 37 or 38 now. Now, I am not at all THAT motivated to run fast. But I don't want to be fat ever again (and trust me, after I stopped running I GOT FAT!). So staying healthy + a modest break 18 goal = enough for me.

Didn't you run a sweet little time in either a half or full while in London? You can't be that far away from the fitness of your glory days!

there's a running group here in charlotte called crazy legs. for the blue ridge relay, they had "crazy legs young guns" and "crazy legs vintage." the vintage team had entirely people over 40. vintage beat the young guns by 20 minutes, AND one of the vintage teammates missed a turn at one point and was lost for 20 minutes before finding her way back to the course. so really 40 minutes.

i also loved what they had painted on their van. "good then...better now."

hmm. y'all ran in something different than i ran in. 7 miles of hill work this morning in the rain. ugh.

I think both of us ran in the evening? The weather was perfect around 6 PM in Belmont. I'm debating on driving with some friends to Boiling Springs to run the Caped Crusader 5K, it sounds interesting.

Back