• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

hmm. y'all ran in something different than i ran in. 7 miles of hill work this morning in the rain. ugh.

I think both of us ran in the evening? The weather was perfect around 6 PM in Belmont. I'm debating on driving with some friends to Boiling Springs to run the Caped Crusader 5K, it sounds interesting.

yea i was out there at 5:30 after work. My schedule got messed up over the weekend and I had to start the week off with 2 days of post-work runs. Back at it predawn tomorrow though.

I'm running my first 5k in almost 2 years this weekend :eek:

Sweet... good luck! I've started running recently and my plan is for a 5k in July. I'm starting really slow... people on this thread impress me.

i feel like ranting about people's perceptions of 5ks for a minute.

(noted, i was one of these people until approximately a month ago)

i raced a 5k friday night, then drove straight to a hiker festival this past weekend. i got started talking to one guy who asked why i was so late getting in (got there around midnight). i told him i had had a race that night, so i couldn't get on the road until after the race. he asked the distance. i told him 5k. his response was "oh, i could run a 5k in my sleep."

for anybody who doesn't regularly race 5ks, please quit talking as though they're easy. i get that if you run regularly (and i do), covering 3.1 miles is no big deal. but RACING 3.1 miles is totally different than RUNNING 3.1 miles. fast 5ks hurt. a lot. they are seriously tough. like i am now of the opinion that half marathons are WAY easier than 5ks. so please quit telling me how easy 5ks are, unless you have run them at race pace. it's just not true.

I have a similar friend who makes fun of 5Ks because of the distance. If you run them how they're supposed to be run, they're really difficult. This guy does a lot of bragging and I'm pretty sure a 5K would wreck him.

The Ultimate Runner sign up asks for your latest 1-mile time for seeding purposes. I haven't run less than 5k in at least 3 years. So, tonight I am doing a mile time trial with a couple friends. I don't know how to run only one mile. This will be interesting.

and DeacHoops - running and racing a 5k are definitely different. It's an easy distance to complete for moderately fit people but racing it all out is absolutely not the same thing!

The Ultimate Runner sign up asks for your latest 1-mile time for seeding purposes. I haven't run less than 5k in at least 3 years. So, tonight I am doing a mile time trial with a couple friends. I don't know how to run only one mile. This will be interesting.

and DeacHoops - running and racing a 5k are definitely different. It's an easy distance to complete for moderately fit people but racing it all out is absolutely not the same thing!

I would think the most accurate representation would be just writing your pace/average split? I mean, you aren't going to run a marathon at your fastest one-mile pace.

i'd take what i think i'd run a 5K now, put that into http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

and set the time it gives for 1 mile as a goal

i'd take what i think i'd run a 5K now, put that into http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm

agreed. i was going to recommend using the calculator.

during the actual race, go out at the pace that the calculator says. it may be off a little bit from what you can actually do, but it shouldn't be TOO off. then, during the last lap, go a little faster if you can. if not, you probably didn't go out SO fast during the first 3 laps that you can't still finish strong, so just finish it out as well as you can.

during the actual race, go out at the pace that the calculator says. it may be off a little bit from what you can actually do, but it shouldn't be TOO off. then, during the last lap, go a little faster if you can. if not, you probably didn't go out SO fast during the first 3 laps that you can't still finish strong, so just finish it out as well as you can.

and i'd go into the last lap expecting pain similar to the late stages of a 5K and knowing you need to dig deep mentally

I'd just put down 4 minutes.

I would think the most accurate representation would be just writing your pace/average split? I mean, you aren't going to run a marathon at your fastest one-mile pace.

the seeding is for a short distance track race series, with order of events: 1 mile, 400m, 800m, 100m, 5k (not on the track).

I'm definitely not running 1-mile pace in a marathon. :)

I have seen the calculator before but didn't think to uee it here - thanks. I do want to do a 1-mile trial anyway to see how that will go, but I'll use the calculator as a goal for tonight.

Reasonably, I should be able to run faster and break under 7:00 if I work hard at it. Yes you fast people, running 1 mile less than 7:00 would be a coup for me. :D But the calculator is putting me at 7:16. Will be interesting to see what I can do tonight.

Reasonably, I should be able to run faster and break under 7:00 if I work hard at it. Yes you fast people, running 1 mile less than 7:00 would be a coup for me. :D But the calculator is putting me at 7:16. Will be interesting to see what I can do tonight.

fwiw, i am consistently faster than it says i should be, the shorter the distance gets. like if i take my marathon time and put it in there, the half marathon time is well slower than what i've actually done. and then if i put the half marathon time in there, the 10k time is slower than i've actually done, etc etc etc

Ran 3.4 miles around 6:15am - it was chilly. I like it in the 60-70s.

my pictures from Warrior Dash suck so bad. All i wanted was one cool badass picture jumping over one of the 2 pits of fire. nope, nada, shutout. super dislike.

A nice, solid 3 mile run yesterday--best I've felt since I started this thing. Great to get back in it the last couple days with stuff settling down finally. I think I'll be just fine for my 5k in 3 weeks.

Then it's gonna get real.

A nice, solid 3 mile run yesterday--best I've felt since I started this thing. Great to get back in it the last couple days with stuff settling down finally. I think I'll be just fine for my 5k in 3 weeks.

Then it's gonna get real.

forgot to include you in the stack of quotes. glad your running is going well!!

Back