• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

I did my mile trial last night and ran mine in 7:09. I was pleased with that! And I think that with some work and just generally understanding how long/short a mile is, I should certainly be able to get under 7:00.

Going to try and "race" a 5k this weekend, something that I have not tried in over a year. I know that I won't be competitive with my field but I'm still hoping for something around 21:00. This is a twilight race (i'm an evening runner) and its a course that I am very familiar with, so I'm hoping for a good PR, which would be anything under 21:40. Also, beer and margaritas at the finish line!!

Going to try and "race" a 5k this weekend, something that I have not tried in over a year. I know that I won't be competitive with my field but I'm still hoping for something around 21:00. This is a twilight race (i'm an evening runner) and its a course that I am very familiar with, so I'm hoping for a good PR, which would be anything under 21:40. Also, beer and margaritas at the finish line!!

Dood. I don't know how old you are or what shape you are in, but a 5k under 21:00 is crazy good.

I did my mile trial last night and ran mine in 7:09. I was pleased with that! And I think that with some work and just generally understanding how long/short a mile is, I should certainly be able to get under 7:00.

I thought you said you were slow? 7 min mile is pretty decent (to a non-hardcore runner at least). :thumbsup:

Dood. I don't know how old you are or what shape you are in, but a 5k under 21:00 is crazy good.

I not going to lie, that time is VERY AGGRESSIVE for me. I did a 10k in April and averaged around 7:00/mile--would have been solidly in the 6:50s if it weren't for an uphill mile where I was around 8:00. This course is FLAT but I have not been doing speed work for the past 6 weeks, which could spell disaster. I just have to remember not to go all out on my first mile--need to keep it in the 6:40s and then have some negative splits.

Also, my running group essentially puts this race on, so I'm running against guys my age (27-35) that consistently run sub 20. I'll want to keep up with them, but I've got to take my ego out of it and remember that I weight 50 lbs more them! Big boys are not meant to beat twigs.

I thought you said you were slow? 7 min mile is pretty decent (to a non-hardcore runner at least). :thumbsup:

:eek:
thanks!

Like I said, I am happy with that mile time. There are some folks on this thread who can run marathons at that pace, which can make me feel slow. We all run different paces though!

I (finally) just registered for the Ultimate Runner.

Also just signed up for a half marathon on Sunday, the Inside-Out Classic Half Marathon in Cary. Has anyone run this before? I have a friend who was supposed to run the half at New River but couldn't due to a death in the family, so he is ready to do a half now. Last minute decision but I'm pumped.

I (finally) just registered for the Ultimate Runner.

Also just signed up for a half marathon on Sunday, the Inside-Out Classic Half Marathon in Cary. Has anyone run this before? I have a friend who was supposed to run the half at New River but couldn't due to a death in the family, so he is ready to do a half now. Last minute decision but I'm pumped.

NOICE! BTW, the Ultimate Runner guy still hasn't cashed my check :rulz:

Have you done anything with the TCTC yet?

Anyone running that race (5k) downtown Saturday? I'm pushing the stroller, which means I hope to complete in under 4236478123 minutes.

we've got a guy here in charlotte who routinely runs 5ks in the 17-range with a stroller. it's nuts. kind of makes me hate him just a little.

Didn't you run a sweet little time in either a half or full while in London? You can't be that far away from the fitness of your glory days!

Well firstly, my 'glory days' were pretty mediocre in comparison with my peers (not even going to compare them to the boys from your generation).

I was happy with the half because it was on thirty days of training after a year of absolutely nothing. But in all honesty, it was slower than our weekly long run at Salem lake when I was in college. Under Kerr we were supposed to average sub 6:10s for every LR. I appreciate you remembering though.

As for my buddies, John Compton, Caitlin Chrisman, and Allie Kieffer are smoking the field lately.

So were mine but we got to wear a WF singlet -- pretty cool stuff.

What I remember is you talking about running in London. I recall thinking, "Lucky mofo" before heading off to risk my life running down Shattalon or up Petree.

And you are right about Salem Lake expectations. Some of the SL PRs of the guys from the early 90s are really silly fast.

Well firstly, my 'glory days' were pretty mediocre in comparison with my peers (not even going to compare them to the boys from your generation).

I was happy with the half because it was on thirty days of training after a year of absolutely nothing. But in all honesty, it was slower than our weekly long run at Salem lake when I was in college. Under Kerr we were supposed to average sub 6:10s for every LR. I appreciate you remembering though.

As for my buddies, John Compton, Caitlin Chrisman, and Allie Kieffer are smoking the field lately.

While no where near you guys, my 42-45 minutes runs of Salem lake seem pretty far behind me as well.

Its a shame. I hope I never take an extended break from running again.

Me neither. I may go the jog 4-5 miles 4-5 days a week route sometime, but I'm never going to stop running again, joints be damned. It's only pain, amirite?

While no where near you guys, my 42-45 minutes runs of Salem lake seem pretty far behind me as well.

So were mine but we got to wear a WF singlet -- pretty cool stuff.

What I remember is you talking about running in London. I recall thinking, "Lucky mofo" before heading off to risk my life running down Shattalon or up Petree.

And you are right about Salem Lake expectations. Some of the SL PRs of the guys from the early 90s are really silly fast.

As a fan from birth, simply donning the singlet was a huge moment in my life. My only goal for my first race was to beat a duke guy...and I did!

The parks in London are a bit out of the way, but if you can get to them they are awesome. Hampstead Heath is a great, great place to run.

During the first few workouts of the Fall out at the Lake my first year, I remember distinctly being absolutely blown away by Brandon, Brad, Sean Stevens, Shane Ahlers during the infamous five (or six) by mile . And all of the older guys could recite off their times for the same workout from each previous year, as well as the times of 'famous' deacs going back to the 90's. That was also the day there were a pack of rabid dogs loose in the vicinity of Salem Lake.

42-45 is moving.

NOICE! BTW, the Ultimate Runner guy still hasn't cashed my check :rulz:

Have you done anything with the TCTC yet?

Hmm I hope they don't keep my check uncashed too long! I'll get nervous I wasn't one of the 108 limit.

I haven't done anything with TCTC yet. Their annual picnic is on Sunday and while I want to go, I don't know a soul there and would rather meet people running, not at a picnic, where silence is more okay if you discover there's nothing to talk about. I'm awkward and hate going places like that alone.

Honestly I'm not sure what else there IS to do with them, besides getting discounts on the races and at 4 Runners Only. There are a couple group runs listed on the site, but I have no faith that they actually happen so I'm not just going to show up somewhere.

so during 2011, i've increased my mileage a good bit from where i was before, and now i'm consistently above 40/week. i love it, i'm WAY more consistent than before, and hopefully soon i'll start seeing improvements in my speed (still waiting for that part though). but omg, now, on days when i DON'T run, or i only run a few miles, the restless legs thing is absolutely out of control. like i'm so incredibly uncomfortable just sitting here at work (i only ran 3 miles this morning because i'm racing tomorrow). i keep getting up and walking to the breakroom or bathroom, hoping that will help, but it doesn't at all.

when i hiked the AT, i had the same problem. when we would take zero-days, i was uncomfortable all day. this seriously drives me absolutely bonkers.

eta: i'm not really looking for solutions, although if you have them, feel free to share. i mostly just wanted to vent.

so during 2011, i've increased my mileage a good bit from where i was before, and now i'm consistently above 40/week. i love it, i'm WAY more consistent than before, and hopefully soon i'll start seeing improvements in my speed (still waiting for that part though). but omg, now, on days when i DON'T run, or i only run a few miles, the restless legs thing is absolutely out of control. like i'm so incredibly uncomfortable just sitting here at work (i only ran 3 miles this morning because i'm racing tomorrow). i keep getting up and walking to the breakroom or bathroom, hoping that will help, but it doesn't at all.

when i hiked the AT, i had the same problem. when we would take zero-days, i was uncomfortable all day. this seriously drives me absolutely bonkers.

eta: i'm not really looking for solutions, although if you have them, feel free to share. i mostly just wanted to vent.

I hear you. Sometimes when I take rest days I feel like a hyperactive little kid.

I'm having trouble getting my legs back after New River, I haven't been running as fast. I guess it's just a matter of recovery. I'm running a 5K tomorrow and hope I can perform reasonably well.

Back