• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

I don't like the new Garmin site. I have stuck with Classic - you have more data options (unless I am missing something).

I also don't like strained soleuses.

it's trying too hard to be like the Windows 8 set-up or something. stop forcing 'cool' on a data site, Garmin.

I don't like it either, but have to use it with my Vivofit and don't want to use 2 sites.

My Garmin is crapping out. It just randomly turns itself off even when fully charged. Pretty frustrating. I'll probably look at competitors before spending a few hundred dollars on a replacement.

I have been feeling so good the last few months. Did 3.75 yesterday in the heat (530 pm) and did first mile at 7:20, 2nd at 7:30 and third at 7:32. Not bad for an old man. I realize you long legged youngsters think that is slow, but it was good for me.

Quick question.

Running a marathon in Nov in Las Vegas. Feeling good about my training however I am a little worried about the altitude (2000 FT) and the dry air. Should I be? If so, what can I do to help train for it?

Quick question.

Running a marathon in Nov in Las Vegas. Feeling good about my training however I am a little worried about the altitude (2000 FT) and the dry air. Should I be? If so, what can I do to help train for it?

You can't really do much to train for it I think. How much time are you giving yourself on the ground before the actual race? Getting acclimatized is the best strategy, I think. I don't have much experience running more than about 10 with a 1000-2000ft increase, but it wasn't a problem.

You can't really do much to train for it I think. How much time are you giving yourself on the ground before the actual race? Getting acclimatized is the best strategy, I think. I don't have much experience running more than about 10 with a 1000-2000ft increase, but it wasn't a problem.

Not long. 30 hrs or so (not good to be hanging out in Vargas long while leading up to a marathon). I do have a couple of days in Asheville before the race and I am going to do a long run there. About the same altitude.

Not long. 30 hrs or so (not good to be hanging out in Vargas long while leading up to a marathon). I do have a couple of days in Asheville before the race and I am going to do a long run there. About the same altitude.

You should be fine I think. Just pay attention to hydration the week before. Flights and altitude dehydrate you a good bit I think.

Quick question.

What's the altitude where you live? 2000 isn't bad. People from the piedmont (400-600) regularly run races in the NC mountains at elevations higher than that without too much problem. Asheville is 2100 in the city and I don't recall noticing much/any lack of oxygen while running there.

I am considering a trail half marathon in Utah at 8000+ when I go out there in a few weeks...the elevation there does have me worried.

Last edited:
Never heard of it. When you've logged a couple years of historical data somewhere, it's hard, for me at least, to start fresh somewhere new.

Not sure about Garmin's export feature, but I just downloaded a GPX file of all my runs from Runkeeper and then imported that file in to SmashRun. It's more run analysis than run tracking.

My Garmin is crapping out. It just randomly turns itself off even when fully charged. Pretty frustrating. I'll probably look at competitors before spending a few hundred dollars on a replacement.

be sure your device has the latest firmware updated. my foreruner 410 would shut off when it had 50% battery left and all i had to do was update the software version and now its fine

Anyone run the trails much at Moses Cone Park in the Boone/Blowing Rock area? I'll be up there with the family the second weekend of October, and I'm scheduled to get in 20 miles that Sunday morning. I assume there aren't really trash cans, water fountains, etc. away from the parking lot and manor house. What would be the best route to tick off 20? I plan to just carry Gatorade and gels, and go get lost. Ideally, I'd like to refill my bottles about halfway through, so I was planning to knock out one side of the Parkway at the time. Which one is better to start?

Anyone run the trails much at Moses Cone Park in the Boone/Blowing Rock area? I'll be up there with the family the second weekend of October, and I'm scheduled to get in 20 miles that Sunday morning. I assume there aren't really trash cans, water fountains, etc. away from the parking lot and manor house. What would be the best route to tick off 20? I plan to just carry Gatorade and gels, and go get lost. Ideally, I'd like to refill my bottles about halfway through, so I was planning to knock out one side of the Parkway at the time. Which one is better to start?

There are lots of trails in the area, but the only one I've run is in the Bass Lake / Maze area. A loop of the lake and Maze will get you about 5 miles. If you don't turn around at the stables, it's another 2 miles uphill to the manor.

Yes, there aren't trash cans and water except for the parking areas. Not sure on which side to start.

IIRC, there's much longer trails in the Price Park area. Maybe 10 mile courses.

There are lots of trails in the area, but the only one I've run is in the Bass Lake / Maze area. A loop of the lake and Maze will get you about 5 miles. If you don't turn around at the stables, it's another 2 miles uphill to the manor.

Yes, there aren't trash cans and water except for the parking areas. Not sure on which side to start.

IIRC, there's much longer trails in the Price Park area. Maybe 10 mile courses.

I don't think this is true. Moses Cone is supposed to have over 20 miles of trails.

ConeMap4.36194352.jpg

Price.3991345.jpg

Bass Lake is where I've started at. You can pick trails and then circle back to your car or whatnot for refills. It's an awesome place to run.

I don't think this is true. Moses Cone is supposed to have over 20 miles of trails.

Maybe I'm thinking somewhere else then...

But yes, I've enjoyed running (shorter distances) at Cone.

Back