• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

How many states have you guys run a half or full in? I'm thinking about long term goals, and trying run at least a half in all 50 states seems like it might be a fun one to hang around my neck for a few decades.

How many states have you guys run a half or full in? I'm thinking about long term goals, and trying run at least a half in all 50 states seems like it might be a fun one to hang around my neck for a few decades.

Full
North Carolina
Virginia
Ohio (and part of Kentucky)
Montana

Half
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia

Full: Texas and Florida
Half: Texas, Florida, Indiana and Kentucky
I'll add California to the list this Sunday when I run the Big Sur Half.

I'm probably forgetting some...

Full:
California
Louisiana
North Carolina
Virginia
Maryland
West Virginia/Kentucky (for 50 States Club rules I could count either but not both)

Half:
Rhode Island
Pennsylvania
North Carolina
Ohio
Florida
Virginia

Full: Texas and Florida
Half: Texas, Florida, Indiana and Kentucky
I'll add California to the list this Sunday when I run the Big Sur Half.

So jealous you get to do Big Sur.

Full:
Ohio
NC
South Carolina
Illinois

Half:
NC
GA

International:
Germany

Full: Pennsylvania (Philly), California (Big Sur, amaaaaaaazing)
Half: Pennsylvania (Philly, Hershey), North Carolina (Mistletoe), Ohio (Columbus), South Carolina (Kiawah), Illinois (Chicago), Virginia (Virginia Beach)

Is anyone actively trying for the 50 state club?

I have pipe dreams about going for all 7 continents but that requires super $$$$$ so not really something I can feasibly pursue at the moment.

To actually answer your question, not pursuing 50 state club at this time.

Is anyone actively trying for the 50 state club?

Nah. I was trying to do a new state every year for a little while but funds are low and I've got a favorite marathon here in NC. Plus my numbers are way down, it looks like I'll finish this year with only 1 marathon which is weird.

Full: Pennsylvania (Philly), California (Big Sur, amaaaaaaazing)
Half: Pennsylvania (Philly, Hershey), North Carolina (Mistletoe), Ohio (Columbus), South Carolina (Kiawah), Illinois (Chicago), Virginia (Virginia Beach)

How's the Philly half?

Great. Great crowd support, one big hill, you get to see a lot of the city.

I have pipe dreams about going for all 7 continents but that requires super $$$$$ so not really something I can feasibly pursue at the moment.

To actually answer your question, not pursuing 50 state club at this time.

I talked to a guy that did a marathon in the Antarctic - that sounded pretty wild...

full: FL, SC, NC, NY
Half: FL, SC, NC, VA

That list looks pretty boring. I need to start mixing things up a little...

Nah. I was trying to do a new state every year for a little while but funds are low and I've got a favorite marathon here in NC. Plus my numbers are way down, it looks like I'll finish this year with only 1 marathon which is weird.

What is your favorite NC marathon?

Full: NJ, CA, NC, VA, PA, MA

Half: NC, SC, PA

I'm thinking of doing NYC next year, so that would add another state to the mix. Definitely not trying for all 50 states.

Getting into the NYC Marathon is super easy if you can run the times listed here: http://www.tcsnycmarathon.org/plan-your-race/getting-in/guaranteed-entry-for-2015

Great, so I just need to be about an hour and 25 minutes faster in five years. Super easy.

What is your favorite NC marathon?

Great, so I just need to be about an hour and 25 minutes faster in five years. Super easy.

If you live in the NYC area, you can do the 9 + 1 option. Or you can give the lottery a go. Total crap shoot if you get in or not. Although I imagine a large percentage of applicants get in. They used to have a guaranteed entry if you were denied three years in a row, but that's gone now.

If you live in the NYC area, you can do the 9 + 1 option. Or you can give the lottery a go. Total crap shoot if you get in or not. Although I imagine a large percentage of applicants get in. They used to have a guaranteed entry if you were denied three years in a row, but that's gone now.

Also, do they not accept (non-NYRR) half-marathons anymore?

Also, do they not accept (non-NYRR) half-marathons anymore?

Technically any non-NYRR marathon or half marathon qualifying times aren't guaranteed. It's a first come, first serve registration period. They did not fill all the time slots last year, so they relaxed the standards a bit this year. Since the qualifying window is Jan 1- Dec 31, 2014, if you wanted to guarantee your entry you could just register as soon as it opens so you're first in line once they finish going through the NYRR qualifiers.

Technically any non-NYRR marathon or half marathon qualifying times aren't guaranteed. It's a first come, first serve registration period. They did not fill all the time slots last year, so they relaxed the standards a bit this year. Since the qualifying window is Jan 1- Dec 31, 2014, if you wanted to guarantee your entry you could just register as soon as it opens so you're first in line once they finish going through the NYRR qualifiers.

But that doesn't really answer my question. The half-marathon qualifying times are no longer on the website that you linked.

Back