• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

Thanks. It's so freakin' cold out right now, but I need to sack it up and get out there. My neighborhood has crazy hills (like 40 degrees), so I guess that will help if I can navigate through them.

If your half isn't until July, you have time left before any training plan will need to crank up.

yeah, I think right now your best bet is to keep going w/ the 3 milers, maybe once a week or so you run 4 or 5 - if you can comfortably run 5 miles by the time a training plan timeline would kick in (12-16 weeks out), you'll be golden.
another recommendation for Hal Higdon.

It feels really good to see real improvements. I know I'm not comparatively fast, but I'm much faster than I was. I've set 2 5k PRs this year and need to plan out my first half.

Below is a comparison of track intervals from August (the last time I made it to the track and today). It's so cool to see that much of a difference.

ZwmVIKE.png

If you're curious about interval 2, which you probably aren't, I couldn't hear the prep beeps because of music, so when I saw the run indication, I blurted "oh, shit" and took off. I'm glad I recovered after that one.

Last edited:
I'm not clear on the table. A li'l more info, please?

I'm not clear on the table. A li'l more info, please?

8x400m intervals. Run intervals are the smaller numbers on each table. I dropped almost a minute on my pace in the past few months.

I'm looking at the Higdon marathon tables now. What kind of pace is he advocating on the "run" days (not race pace/long run)? I still haven't done my first marathon and am finally ready to go for one in 2015.

I'm looking at the Higdon marathon tables now. What kind of pace is he advocating on the "run" days (not race pace/long run)? I still haven't done my first marathon and am finally ready to go for one in 2015.

Conversational pace basically. Maybe a shade faster than long run, but depending on your goals for your first, those miles are basically maintenance miles anyway. Good luck!

The Official OGBoards Running Thread: Fall Running is Fun Running

I'm also a Higdon advocate, but have never really cared about pacing. Just got out and run as fast as you can that day.

I'm also a Higdon advocate, but have never really cared about pacing. Just got out and run as fast as you can that day.

I don't recommend this approach. pushing that hard through that much run volume (especially while training for your first) is what gets you injured. Training plans are about not only preparing you to go a certain distance, but are designed to get you there safely and injury-free. Pacing matters to this end, quite a bit.

3:32 lbe

Just kidding. Different strokes for different folks. I'm just the kind of guy who goes.

ha! I just won a bet with nobody - definitely said to myself "brasky is going to bring up his finish time."
high-five, me.

Pace will definitely matter for someone like Cheese who (I think) is a good runner that hasn't stepped up distance before. It's tough when you're used to 5-10k training where you're just doing a bunch of track work and stuff at max effort transitioning to days where you just go out and run for 2+ hours.

I run like 35 miles a week. Like 5-7 four times a week and a 10-12 on the weekend. My problem is I run a little too like Brasky suggests to the point where I am concerned I will hurt myself.

The reason I asked originally is because there are two a days a week where he has you doing 3-4-5 miles, which really is less than the bare minimum I normally do on days I get out there.

The reason I asked originally is because there are two a days a week where he has you doing 3-4-5 miles, which really is less than the bare minimum I normally do on days I get out there.

Which plan are you specifically researching? You might be looking at something beneath your level.

The short runs are more like active recovery. Especially when you're doing your long runs on the weekend, you'll start to look forward to those 'easy' midweek runs.
That said, you might check out the intermediate plan? or, consider finding a shorter plan somewhere. A lot of Higdon is helping you build the base to get to those longer runs, whereas you're already there. On one of the longer plans, you could probably lop off a few weeks and pick it up from there.

Had my final long run for the January 11 Disney Marathon this weekend. Did 23 miles and was pleased with how it went. Was a little slow the last 3-4 miles, but I realized with 7 miles to go that I had dropped one of my gels somewhere along the run, meaning I only had one gel for the final 11 miles of the run and not two as planned/practiced. I definitely bonked, but got through it and my average time was still faster than the half marathon I ran in October (hooray for cooler weather).

Now its time to taper and try not to eat too much over the next four weeks. I am always hungry these days.

I am about 4 weeks in on the Hanson plan. Run 6 days a week, with the minimum daily being about 6 miles at easy pace. It includes one intervals day and one tempo run day (both of these have 2 to 3 mile warm up/cool down at easy pace). Longest run is 16 miles, so it is a bit different. The basic philosophy is the long run is simulating the last 16 miles. I am feeling good so far but a little anxious since I have subscribed to peaking out at 22 or 23 miles prior to a marathon. The plan is very pace specific depending on your goal time.

Just knocked out my first run of the week (4 miles) and it was rough. First off I normally rest today, and start on Tuesday, but I need to push my week up a day so I can knock out my long runs on Friday the next two weeks so that Christmas and New Years Day will fall on rest days. So my legs were still sore as woah from crushing 14 on Saturday.

It also probably didn't help that I ate like three weed brownies yesterday while watching football bc my buddy needed help finshing them off before he flew home for Christmas. And I rarely indulge in the green, so I was pretty baked. I don't think I've ever felt more out of it during a run then I did today. Gonna have to avoid that stufff for the next two months.

Anyways, after starting 3-4 weeks behind the Higdon schedule, I will catch up with it this week at 16. I did this by not tapering at all. Can't wait to taper down to 13 next week, my legs could use the break. Speaking of, anyone in Winston trying to do 16 on Friday? If so, holler at your boy.

Back