• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

I was going to run my 9 miles yesterday, but then partied a little too hard Friday night. That and the threats of snow scared me off.

Today it was at least sunny, but much colder and windier. My hair froze.

just got home from JAX. it was brutally cold, seriously it was brutal. colder than Thunder Road when I ran it in 2008. we beasted the first half (actually set a PR for 13.1) but around mile 8 i could tell that my hamstrings were really cold/tight and knew immediately that they were going to cramp up at some point. I had to start stretching at each mile marker from like 18 on so that they didn't completely lock up. mile 25 went up over a bridge and while jogging up that the hammy's finally had had enough and i completely collapsed on the bridge. luckily there was an awesome guy who was just waiting at the bottom on the bridge for people he could tell needed help getting up and jogged with me the whole way and helped get me to the top after i fell over.

anyways my final chip time was a devastating 4:00:15. missed my goal by 15 seconds. i think i cried like 3 times during the race (b/c this is exactly what happened to me last marathon and couldn't believe it was happening again after not having a single problem with my hammy's during training) and then cried for like 30 minutes after the race. couldn't even look at the medal for a while. but then i heard one of my friends was unable to finish because of severe knee pain (she had to stop at mile 19) so i realized i was being dumb and got over it.

anyways i'm still pretty frustrated because i feel like i worked so hard and did everything i was supposed to do and was feeling great going into it and if it wasn't for the weather i dont think i would have cramped and i think i would have done better. but whatever. i knocked like 9 minutes off my first marathon and i can always break 4 some other time.

thanks for the support everyone!

and to show how cold it was. most of the water that was being passed up had chuck of ice in it and most of the puddles along the street were frozen over. it sucked

Awesome story, captawesome - awesome that you pushed through and came that close to your goal! I've done 4 fulls with a goal of breakjng 4 hours each time, and have not come as close as you did. I know the feeling - you just completed a great feat, running a marathon, and can only feel disappointed because you didn't make yor goal...

I am doing the mb half next weekend and just recovered from a week of congestion, sore throat and fever. I didn't run at all for 6 days. I was looking at going for a pr but i am not feelng confident now...

Got in 17.1 of my planned 19 today. First time I've ever had leg cramps. Went out WAY too fast after taking all week off due to the Norovirus I had earlier this week. Didn't realize how fast I had gone out until about mile 8. Felt great until the sudden cramps.

Damn capt awesome I hate running when it is that cold outside...props for running through it and getting that close to your goal. If you keep up the training you should be able to bust through that 4 hr mark in some nicer weather.

I am having a really hard time getting my fitness level back up after having to take like a month off post-surgery. It is so frustrating.

and to show how cold it was. most of the water that was being passed up had chuck of ice in it and most of the puddles along the street were frozen over. it sucked

I know how much it stinks to just miss your goal, but you know you'll be able to blow past 4:00 in better conditions! Awesome job pushing through.

And I'm always worried about water freezing up in cold conditions, given how wet the ground gets at water stops. That's kind of scary that there was ice in the water cups - could be dangerous.

thanks for the encouragement everyone! i'm feeling pretty sore today but better than after my first. i think my race yesterday is already starting to get me fired up to run Marine Corps and i'm going to work my ass off to make sure i'm definitely ready to go out and rock DC in October and break 4 once in for all

Give me your shin splint remedies

High school track coach made me drink banana smoothies every night.

Run only on grass and soft surfaces. Avoid concrete like the plague.

I've also heard of people running some your finger down your leg, between the shin bone and the muscle (where your muscles are separating from that bone.) Apparently, this agitation has some type of benefit to the healing process. I've never tried it and assume that it would hurt like child birth, but you're asking for possible remedies :)

I have been totally benched since last Wednesday with an achilles strain in my left heel. Other than stretching/ice/rest is there anything I can do? I have a half marathon a week from Saturday and I really needed to get a long run in this weekend for my full-marathon in 4.5 weeks :(

my sister is looking for good place to get running shoes in charlotte. any you queen-city deacs have any recommendations? (looking at you Hoops)

she is going to need A LOT of help getting into some shoes

I'm partial to the Charlotte Running Company on East Blvd. They have a great staff and are very helpful.

Back in the swing of things now that it is warming up a little here in NJ.

Looking at a 13.1 on March 24th in New York City - and depending on how I run there, either a 26.2 (would be my 2nd after running NYC) or another 13.1 at the New Jersey Marathon on May 6th.

Captain - you still have me beat by 16 seconds, which I ran in Fall '10 in NYC. Congratulations for sticking it out despite the injuries. Sure you'll do great at MCM.

I ran cross country in high school and think all of you marathon runners are nuts. Shin splints were way too much for me to deal with, had to quit like 80% of the way through the season. Got the splints before the season started by doing a 2 a day.

my sister is looking for good place to get running shoes in charlotte. any you queen-city deacs have any recommendations? (looking at you Hoops)

she is going to need A LOT of help getting into some shoes

here are all of the options i can think of:

run for your life--my personal favorite. the one that's been around the longest. they are SUPER patient with you and will try on 3957013958 pairs of shoes if that's what it takes to get you in the right ones. and if they do happen to put you in the wrong ones, and it legitimately hurts your legs/feet/whatever to run in them, they'll take them back, even if you've run outside in them. no questions asked. (oh, and if you bring in an old pair when you come in to get new ones, they donate them to charity and give you $10 off your next pair)

charlotte running company--i don't have a lot of experience with them. i've only bought shoes there once, and it was because they had a groupon (and i knew which shoes i wanted so i just asked for my size and paid for them. they didn't do any fitting).

insideout sports--again, don't have a ton of experience with them. i've bought other stuff there, but never shoes.

trysports--has the best technology of all of the stores. definitely got me in the right pair of shoes, and were able to explain to me and SHOW me exactly WHY it was the right pair of shoes. but their policy is that you only try on 3 pairs in order to find the right fit. when i went there, they got me in the right fit in fewer than 3 pairs, but the employee who was helping me happens to be a friend who knows quite a bit about my running, so i'm not sure if that helped.

really though, i think all of the stores are good. her best bet is probably just to figure out which store is closest to her. what part of town is she in?

On Monday, forgetting I had IM basketball at 10 that night, I ran three w/the roommate. Legs were so dead after 10 minutes of basketball

Back