• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

Oh! Also saw a dude along the route (spectator, not racer) wearing a Wake hoodie near Dupont Circle (or somewhere on 18th St I think) and yelled "Go Deacs!" to him. It wasn't anyone on here was it?

So I did the Tobacco Road half on the American Tobacco Trail west of Cary this morning. I tried to go with fewer GUs so I got up a little early and ate 1.5 pieces of toast with peanut butter. I then ate one Gu 45 minutes before the race and 1 right before we started. During the race I had one at 4.5 mi and 1 at 9.

The race was a slow one, for me, but I have trained very little since the Myrtle Beach half a month ago - so I wasn't expecting too much. But, I felt OK - my stomach felt worrisome for a while around 9-10 miles but it went away...

This is a really good race and the trail is a great running surface. My only complaint is that the first 1-2 miles is WAY too crowded - the road at the start is very narrow. They need to find a different place to start it. My first mile was like 9:45 because of the crowd. I finished in 1:58.

Are y'all (iodeac and rollthequad) doing the New River race this year? I am doing the half...

59 second PR at the Tobacco Road marathon this morning. I was really worried about the humidity and temps, as I am a cold weather runner, but I held on until 22 and then was able to hold on until the finish.

So I feel like I may have caught the bug. I found myself thinking today that I wouldn't mind doing another half soon while I'm still all trained up for distance and then started searching for nearby races in the next month. Charlottesville Half is April 7. Anyone run it before? Seems pretty small (3,500 cap for half and full), which would be different from the few busy races I've run before.

I was at the Wrightsville Beach marathon today...didn't run myself b/c I'm not in good enough shape post surgery but I got to cheer on a friend doing her first marathon. Good times.

Today marked my first official Marathon BOMB/disaster/disappointment at Shamrock in Virginia Beach. Went out to a great 1:50 first half, then the cramps started. First the in calves, then to the inside quads, groin, outside quads, and finally....the toes. The last half was basically run a quarter mile, walk, run a quarter mile, stop and stretch, repeat. After the 3:45 and then the 4:00 pace groups passed me I let go the frustration. I did manage to stop at mile 23 and have some Guinness at one of the unofficial "water" stops.

Today marked my first official Marathon BOMB/disaster/disappointment at Shamrock in Virginia Beach. Went out to a great 1:50 first half, then the cramps started. First the in calves, then to the inside quads, groin, outside quads, and finally....the toes. The last half was basically run a quarter mile, walk, run a quarter mile, stop and stretch, repeat. After the 3:45 and then the 4:00 pace groups passed me I let go the frustration. I did manage to stop at mile 23 and have some Guinness at one of the unofficial "water" stops.

Sorry to hear...my Facebook feed today was full of people that had rough experiences at Tobacco Road or Shamrock.

Nice! I heard it was starting on the beach this year rather than ending on it. I may swing by there since some friends are doing it, but I'm not running. I wish it wasn't the same weekend as the WB half. Good luck, let us know how it goes!

The race went pretty well on Saturday morning. I ended up towards the back at the start so that cost me any shot at a PR of any sort. 2000 people squeezing through a 15 foot opening to get off the beach will cause a bit of a bottleneck. Ended up having to walk/stand around for at least 2 minutes waiting to get through there. Hopefully they'll take note of that next year and at least stagger the start.

Either way, another great time in Carolina Beach was had.

Hell no. That course got the best of me last year. #Falseadvertising

Sorry to hear y'all aren't doing it this year. It is a very tough course - but it is in the mountains, after all. There is a lot of flat mileage in the race, both the half and full, along the river - but, when it winds away from the river it is brutal. I hope you got to appreciate the beauty of the area a little. It can be difficult to enjoy the scenery when you are struggling to breathe!

Thoughts?

t214n_0784

ummm those are awesome, but i love loud shoes.

ummm those are awesome, but i love loud shoes.

Yeah, safety green is my favorite color. These are just about perfect for me and due to the decreased availability of my current shoes(Lunar Elite+2), I'd like to move to a different line. I'm just hesitant to look like an attention whore.

Sorry to hear y'all aren't doing it this year. It is a very tough course - but it is in the mountains, after all. There is a lot of flat mileage in the race, both the half and full, along the river - but, when it winds away from the river it is brutal. I hope you got to appreciate the beauty of the area a little. It can be difficult to enjoy the scenery when you are struggling to breathe!

i don't think the problem was that it was a tough course. i think the problem was that they SAID it was "flat and fast." since it was brand new and nobody knew what to expect, all anybody really had to go off of was what the race director said. we all went into it thinking we'd PR. that's IO's point with the "false advertising" hashtag. and i'm with him...i won't be back because i'm still just so angry over the false advertising of it last year. also, i placed, and i got a wooden star as my prize. like they really look 3 pieces of wood, nailed them together, and called it an award. i still haven't figured out what to do with it.

congrats to everybody that raced this weekend!

the Noosa may be one of the least comfortable shoes ever. though this years model is WAY WAY WAY better than last years

Back