• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

When are you guys gonna realize that I'm never being serious. If you're running at all, good for you. I used to weigh 100 lbs more than I do today, exercising regularly and (usually) eating healthy has improved my life drastically. I encourage everyone to get out and exercise, regardless of how long you do it.

When are you guys gonna realize that I'm never being serious. If you're running at all, good for you. I used to weigh 100 lbs more than I do today, exercising regularly and (usually) eating healthy has improved my life drastically. I encourage everyone to get out and exercise, regardless of how long you do it.

posrep

everytime i see a middle-aged fat woman walking around hanes park i want to give her a high five.

I wish I had been able to respond earlier; there are lots of good posts here.

First, it is very important to me, personally, to respect everyone that runs. Putting yourself out there is difficult and embarrassing and painful and not always fun. I would never respect someone that disses other people's times or belittles a PR or anything. If somebody has the balls to go out there and do it, then seriously good for them. And the personal knowledge that I haven't been able to get off my ass for almost three years now, more or less, is a testament to that fact.

In my opinion, for racing (and this is the key here), people running 14:30 5ks and people running 18:00 5ks and people running 22:00 5ks are probably in the same amount of pain and working equally hard. This is, of course, assuming that their effort level is the same.

My only gripe with marathoners in general, is that I think they enter too many events to truly race them. I feel that in order to truly race a marathon -- and thus, run as fast as you possibly can on the given day -- you need months of preparation and months of recovery. To me, 'running a marathon' and 'racing a marathon' are two very, very different things. I mean, come on, Oprah runs marathons. ANYBODY can run a marathon.

I have never raced a marathon. And I won't race one until I feel that I have trained properly and will succeed in reaching my goal. But I've done a few 90 mile weeks here and there while training for the 5k and 8k, so I do know the kind of effort that the distance requires.

Further, one of the great things about running is that effort and preparation can almost always trump talent. Of course, talent is relative and this is important to keep in mind.

That's because anybody can run them and 10K organizers can get an extra $25 from people who want to feel like they're athletes and get a t-shirt.

Right but the extension of what I'm trying to say is that if there were a ton of 1 mile races or even sprint distance races for amateurs, I'd be all over that, as my pace would be faster than my 5k pace. Not 800Ms, though. Fuck that. No way, no how.

Last edited:
Right but the extension of what I'm trying to say is that if there were a ton of 1 mile races or even sprint distance races for amateurs, I'd be all over that.

are you going to do Ultimate Runner? You'll probably be getting married that week or something. It's June 30. I just might not run a summer marathon and try to run those short distances better than last year.

Right but the extension of what I'm trying to say is that if there were a ton of 1 mile races or even sprint distance races for amateurs, I'd be all over that.

Yeah, but not enough people want to train for that and those who go out once a month and do sprints are just going to wind up at the doctor. Most people don't know how to properly train for that type of event. Also, people aren't going to drive across town or to another city so they can spend all day running heats between ten seconds and 4.5 minutes. Glad it works for you though.

are you going to do Ultimate Runner? You'll probably be getting married that week or something. It's June 30. I just might not run a summer marathon and try to run those short distances better than last year.

It's the same day. Plus I'm still well off of where I need to be to race. By next year I think I'll have my mileage where I want it. Right now a lot of my focus is on lifting and beginning to erg again for reliable cross-training. I fucking hate that machine, though.

I really need to get more dilligent with my icing.

Wakephan might be able to hit 16s with a little bit of training right now :p but otherwise, no(that I know of.) I'm just saying that it is difficult to compare the two due to the breadth of times and abilities. I will say that running a marathon in 4 hours is probably harder than running a 5k at 24-25 minutes for most people.

Ha, thanks for the confidence, man. I think it would take me 3-6 months, but I could break 16 minutes again, sure. I don't think I will ever be able to run like I used to though, because I needed the trainers and facilities far too much. I've got friends still competing at a fairly high level post-collegiality, but most of them are part of solid training groups like NYRoadRunners, Boston, or ZAP.

I decided sometime ago that my goal was Boston in 2014. But if I do it, I am going to do it right -- quit playing rec sports, start eating right, cut back on drinking, and get my weekly miles closer to 100 -- I am just not ready for that at this point in my life. I qualified for Chicago and New York on a whim in London last year on four weeks of training and three long runs, but because of this, it hurt.

Set your calenders, and we'll do it together.

Ha, thanks for the confidence, man. I think it would take me 3-6 months, but I could break 16 minutes again, sure. I don't think I will ever be able to run like I used to though, because I needed the trainers and facilities far too much. I've got friends still competing at a fairly high level post-collegiality, but most of them are part of solid training groups like NYRoadRunners, Boston, or ZAP.

I decided sometime ago that my goal was Boston in 2014. But if I do it, I am going to do it right -- quit playing rec sports, start eating right, cut back on drinking, and get my weekly miles closer to 100 -- I am just not ready for that at this point in my life. I qualified for Chicago and New York on a whim in London last year on four weeks of training and three long runs, but because of this, it hurt.

Set your calenders, and we'll do it together.

I'd like to think I could qualify for Boston in 2014 after two years of training, but I'm not 100% sure. I only run solo right now so it makes it difficult. Definitely going to mark this down though because that would be awesome :cool:

I feel that in order to truly race a marathon -- and thus, run as fast as you possibly can on the given day -- you need months of preparation and months of recovery. To me, 'running a marathon' and 'racing a marathon' are two very, very different things. I mean, come on, Oprah runs marathons. ANYBODY can run a marathon.

I have never raced a marathon. And I won't race one until I feel that I have trained properly and will succeed in reaching my goal. But I've done a few 90 mile weeks here and there while training for the 5k and 8k, so I do know the kind of effort that the distance requires.

Totally agree with Phan. There is a HUGE difference between running and racing a marathon. Both require a ton of hard work, but they're just different animals. I've run 5 marathons. I've raced 4. One was a big fat DNF too. Good times. I enjoy the shorter distances and the less time consuming training, but, in the end, I'm simply better at longer distances, so that is what I prefer to do. Even though my marathon PR is my weakest relative to my other PR's, it is the one I'm most proud of. Anyone who completes a marathon has reason to be proud.

Basically my thoughts come down to feeling that objectively faster speeds are more fun than better placements. A kid is smiling the most when running all out. 5ks are the shortest (and therefore fastest-paced) consistently-scheduled races for adults.

well, that's all well and good, but i definitely smile more in a half/full than i do in a 5k. for me, 5ks HURT.

good for you if you like just running at top speed for short distances. i'd rather enjoy myself, and for me, that means running a race that i'm well-suited for. even if i'm under 30 and you think that means i'm too young for long distances.

yeah, tuffalo, your argument takes nothing into account regarding the runner's feelings about a particular distance. I HATE sprinting (which is what racing a 5k feels like to me). However, because I'm young and nimble I should force myself to suffer through it until I'm reduced to a slow shuffler, at which point then I can do longer distances? No thanks.

Well it's not that you should be forced to run faster-paced races. It's that you should be forced to like running faster-paced races. :thumbsup:

I force to suffer/enjoy a variety of races. Faster paced races hurt during, but there is usually little needed post race to recover. Next week I will try to *race* the CRBR. Not really to place against others, but to beat my time last year. It will be a miserable 6.2 miles (at least I am in the first sub 49 corral). Three weeks ago I raced a half marathon against a good friend of mine (photo-finish). I was hauling ass and it hurt because I was shooting for a PR. Last weekend, I ran a marathon. While it hurt, it was because i was unprepared and I was slow.

To be honest, I like the half-marathon the most because of the combination of fast/endurance. For me its not just a race to be finished or to check a box off a bucket list (like a marathon).

I am going to hate run a 7 mile tempo run tonight. Our basketball program will be my source of inspiration.

glad you posted this so i could avoid writing a long winded rant. i have a 26.2 sticker. i'm proud i did it and it was a memorable experience in a part of the country I never imagined I'd visit. it's also a great way to start up a conversation with someone asking where they ran, etc. i love recommending Missoula as an awesome place to visit and run a race.

I also have a sticker for Ragnar on my car and that was probably a more memorable experience then my first marathon (and harder running-wise). The friends I made/met during and after the relay are people I'd go anywhere in the country to run races with.

Saw a dude rounding the corner at Kings and Morehead tonight at 6:15 in a Ragnar shirt. Was it you?

The reptiles are now out for the Spring. Came across a 10'+ black snake out at Salem Lake on Wednesday afternoon. Talk about getting your heart rate up!!!

Back