• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official OGBoards Running (and Cycling) Thread: (Insert Season Here)

Cool. The only marathon I can find in NC in October (which would be ideal because of the conditions) is the Ridge to Bridge Marathon in Morganton. I think I've read you guys mention this one.

http://www.my-bmrc.org/#!r2b-marathon

Also its on the Saturday after the Thursday night Clemson game so although I'd have to take easy at the tailgate, I wouldn't miss a game next fall. Any thoughts?

ridge to bridge is the one i was supposed to run last fall before i got hurt. everybody who does it LOVES it. the only reason not to do it would be if you have bad knees (9 miles of it are straight downhill). it's a really, really fast course because of the downhill. if you could realistically hit 4 on a flat course, you could probably hit 3:50 on ridge to bridge.

pay attention to when they open registration though. last year it filled up in under 8 hours.

the portland marathon is Oct. 7. I think I may do it. That's just over 6 months to train. Thoughts?

you can definitely do it in 6 months. go for it!

I'm thinking about signing up for the obx marathon as my first in November. Anybody ever run in that race?

I ran OBX last year and while it's largely nice and flat, I didn't like it. The first half is nice, through neighborhoods, some trails in Nags Head Woods. But I felt like the second half was just straight down the same boring road forever (with no shade). Then an absolutely killer bridge at mile 23. All that said, one could probably get a pretty good time there (I had run the Richmond marathon the day before so I was just plodding through). The medal was fantastic though.

you can definitely do it in 6 months. go for it!

I ran OBX last year and while it's largely nice and flat, I didn't like it. The first half is nice, through neighborhoods, some trails in Nags Head Woods. But I felt like the second half was just straight down the same boring road forever (with no shade). Then an absolutely killer bridge at mile 23. All that said, one could probably get a pretty good time there (I had run the Richmond marathon the day before so I was just plodding through). The medal was fantastic though.

Definitely looking for a nice and flat course. Any other recs that are within a reasonable driving distance?

Your half was much faster than my 1:48, and I finished my first marathon at 4:09 in some decent heat and running about a minute too fast per mile for 5ish miles in the middle of the race, at which point I was dead for the final 5. 4:00 should be easily attainable. Screw 4, go for 3:45...that's my goal for October. Now that I know what the distance is like and that I can finish, I have no doubt I can run it much faster.

Is that your half PR? Nice job. My half PR is right around there too (something like a 1:47:57).

I'm thinking about signing up for the obx marathon as my first in November. Anybody ever run in that race?

I ran it in 2009. I thought it was a nice, flat race and the weather was really good. The only things I didn't like were that the last half of the marathon isn't very exciting (basically straight down a highway) and the course on that portion only has 1 lane closed off, so you have to run next to cars that are going really slowly.

With your half time, I bet you could do it in 3-4 months if you were smart about it.

I bet you could do it in 16 weeks, I think most training plans are around 18 months but I think 6 months would be more than enough time for you.

ridge to bridge is the one i was supposed to run last fall before i got hurt. everybody who does it LOVES it. the only reason not to do it would be if you have bad knees (9 miles of it are straight downhill). it's a really, really fast course because of the downhill. if you could realistically hit 4 on a flat course, you could probably hit 3:50 on ridge to bridge.

pay attention to when they open registration though. last year it filled up in under 8 hours.

Like Hoops said, I hear really good things about R2B and it's a nice, local race. A bunch of friends of mine as well as myself are planning to sign up for it the day registration opens on June 1st. From what I hear, the race director is a really good guy and the race itself is just a really good experience.

Like Hoops said, I hear really good things about R2B and it's a nice, local race. A bunch of friends of mine as well as myself are planning to sign up for it the day registration opens on June 1st. From what I hear, the race director is a really good guy and the race itself is just a really good experience.

With only 400 spots, doesn't it normally fill up rather quickly? I was thinking about that one as well unless I do MCM or get into NYC.

I bet you could do it in 16 weeks, I think most training plans are around 18 months but I think 6 months would be more than enough time for you.

18 months? most training plans I've seen are like 18 weeks. I suppose you need to be at a certain level of fitness before that 18 weeks though. And it would depend on the end goal - completing the marathon or a more aggressive time goal.

With only 400 spots, doesn't it normally fill up rather quickly? I was thinking about that one as well unless I do MCM or get into NYC.

Yeah it filled really fast last year. I want to run it too but need to start looking for an alternate because I'm probably not going to get in.

R2B does fill up very, very fast. but also keep in mind that since they have a refund policy, they also keep a wait list. last year, i think everybody on the wait list ended up getting in after people like me had to drop out. so if you don't initially get in, at least put your name on the list, and there's a very good chance you'll eventually get in.

Ankur Tarneja. '04. I think he may have played soccer for a season, maybe not. I don't believe he ran CC. He's been killing some races.

2:34 is great! Congrats to him. Top fifty is probably much more impressive than the time.

You mentioned last week that
He recently won the LA 5K with a blistering pace.
; his FIRST 5k split yesterday in Boston was even faster! The 5k was probably a tune up. I was a bit skeptical when that LA 5k was nowhere near the quality of the 10k he had run a couple of weeks before.

Last edited:
I'm running the Marine Corp (too late to sign up now unfortunately) and the Baltimore in October. If you are looking for a race and come up to Baltimore, I know the owner of the bar at the finish line and we're having a big fundraising party to help out a friend who's baby has EB.

Baltimore is 10/13, our football bye week. Marine Corp is 10/28, which is Clemson Thursday game. Hard to believe how perfectly the football schedule worked out for the races I wanted to run in the fall.

Did some research on all three marathons (Baltimore, Outer Banks, and Bridge to Ridge) and all three have their pros and cons.

The Baltimore race probably has the course I'd enjoy the most, however the logistics of getting there are the most complicated. I have a good friend who lives in DC, but I don't know anybody in Baltimore. I don't mind gettting a hotel at all, but the travel to the race would be the most expensive and complicated. Also I like that its on the weekend of October 13th, which is the earliest of three. I'd rather start my training sooner than later.

My initial inclination was to do the Bridge to Ridge, however I'm not that excited about the declines. I don't have knee problems, however they do tend to stiffen up on extended downhills, so I normally coast downhill and then conserve my energy for going up hill. I think that helped me a lot on Saturday.

And finally the Outerbanks one would be sweet, however I enjoy hills and would get super bored running 26 miles of flatness. Also I'd rather do it sooner-than-later and waiting till November would suck.

So yeah I think I'm going with Baltimore. I think I just might register and get it over with.

I have a good friend who lives in DC, but I don't know anybody in Baltimore.

You do know BoulderDeac. He and his gf live in downtown Baltimore.

(and as a more talented athlete than any of us could hope to ever be, I'm sure he'd be excited at the prospect of getting involved).

So I'm looking more into the Baltimore Marathon and hotels look pretty damn expensive. Since I know zero about Baltimore, is there any chance that I can get a hotel within walking distance of the start under $150/night? I'm assuming not, but there is some sort of moral objection I have to paying more than $150/night for a room that I'll be in for probably 10 hours.

You do know BoulderDeac. He and his gf live in downtown Baltimore.

(and as a more talented athlete than any of us could hope to ever be, I'm sure he'd be excited at the prospect of getting involved).

Ah I forgot he lived there. Do you think he'd be cool with me crashing there the night before?

I'm crashing with friends in downtown Baltimore too. In fact, the race runs right by their row house next to the park.

Back