• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official Wake/Duke Thread

I can't say that they aren't good...I can say they don't have a good boss, though.

There is so much dysfunction in our basketball program right now, it's really unbelievable...not fair to evaluate their performance when they've been directed to recruit a certain type of player.

Then how are they recruiting Ingram, Giles, Justin Jackson, Curtis/Kwe, etc.?? It makes no sense. At least two of those guys will be in the league by their 20th birthday.

I know that it's a crazy environment, but you'd think that they'd find some way to shine through. I'm just not seeing it. With the exception of the work that Chill put in with Codi this summer, I can't really find a whole lot to point to.

Perhaps you could add to that.

What a load of horseshit!

How exactly is "this human shield" strategy working? Bz needs to be fired. Everyone knows this and these "shields" haven't quieted the least bit of the demands that Bz be fired.

Because our staff is miserable and you're shocked that people are critiquing them because they are Rusty LaRue and Randolph Childress. If they were Walt Corbean and Dave Wojcik, then I doubt you'd be so sympathetic.

Because our staff is miserable and you're shocked that people are critiquing them because they are Rusty LaRue and Randolph Childress. If they were Walt Corbean and Dave Wojcik, then I doubt you'd be so sympathetic.

I could give a rats ass about Corbean and Wojick.

Wake fans can demand Bz be fired without dragging our own through the mud in the process. It's is not that difficult.

Why bother with the assistants at all?

Last edited:
Syracuse's coaching staff has two assistants with minimal experience

It's a good thing that he's sitting behind Boeheim and Hopkins, then. Like I said before, if Wake ever looked prepared, guys got better, or we recruited worth a shit, then I would be more impressed with our staff. They don't.

This is all true, no doubt about it.

But maybe, just maybe, it isn't the best idea to have two such men on a staff when the program hasn't put together a winning season in 3 years?

And again, I love and adore Chill. Rusty is alright in my book too.

Oh, I am not saying that hiring them was the best move for the basketball program.

Actually, the Rusty hire wasn't too bad- he was hired under Dino and was surrounded by a more experienced staff AND had talent. You cannot argue that is the way an ambitious coach would want to cut his teeth. The mess that Wellman created after firing Dino was not good for anyone- especially an inexperienced staff. He was thrown into the fire. I can't say he's no good because he hasn't had a lot to work with.

The Chill hire was a head scratcher, though...and Corbean got shitted for sure. Still, I can't say he's not good because he has nothing to work with.

Mediocre talent vs. Elite talent at their home court= what we saw tonight. Every once in a while you get a surprise win, but not often. We just don't have the talent to compete. That falls on Ron and his New World Order and Bz the puppet.

It's a good thing that he's sitting behind Boeheim and Hopkins, then. Like I said before, if Wake ever looked prepared, guys got better, or we recruited worth a shit, then I would be more impressed with our staff. They don't.

Battle's job was a lot easier in the Skip days. I feel for the guy. I wish he'd jumped to a head coaching job back in the day.

Oh, I am not saying that hiring them was the best move for the basketball program.

Actually, the Rusty hire wasn't too bad- he was hired under Dino and was surrounded by a more experienced staff AND had talent. You cannot argue that is the way an ambitious coach would want to cut his teeth. The mess that Wellman created after firing Dino was not good for anyone- especially an inexperienced staff. He was thrown into the fire. I can't say he's no good because he hasn't had a lot to work with.

The Chill hire was a head scratcher, though...and Corbean got shitted for sure. Still, I can't say he's not good because he has nothing to work with.

Mediocre talent vs. Elite talent at their home court= what we saw tonight. Every once in a while you get a surprise win, but not often. We just don't have the talent to compete. That falls on Ron and his New World Order and Bz the puppet.

Both guys are raw at coaching, but Childress has proven more to me in two years than LaRue in five.

We don't disagree.

This is so very, very fair. Rusty was kind of thrown into this mess with Dino being fired, but Childress decided to walk into this nonsense. I get he wanted to get started on his coaching career, but maybe a little patience would have been a wiser move for him?

Okay. Fine. I buy it.

Still one question: how come we have struggled so much recruiting local guys who have gone to schools and played for AAU programs that Rusty should be really familiar with from his time as a high school head coach, AAU administrator/coach, and high school athletic director?

The only I can think of from one of those settings is Madison.

I'd love to know what Chill and Rusty were joking about while Bz had his nanny face going during the game. It was classic.

Rusty was hired as the 3rd assistant under Dino...he coached a #1 team and had an experienced staff to learn from...he wasn't hired as a human shield. He was hired because he wanted to make the jump to college coaching and there was an opening (Pat Kelsey left). He was no different than the Syracuse assistants.

Seriously, why is it necessary to trash the assistants?

There is a huge difference between commenting on the obvious fact that our staff is not very good and trashing the assistants. I don't think our staff is very good. That includes our assistant coaches.

I still don't think anyone would consider it trashing if Walt and Dave were on the bench instead of Rusty and Chill. Hell, Walt Corbean got about as raw a deal as one can get and nobody even talks about that anymore.

What was the situation with Muse?

Was there a flagrant? What was it? Stopped watching & did other things at half.

Okay. Fine. I buy it.

Still one question: how come we have struggled so much recruiting local guys who have gone to schools and played for AAU programs that Rusty should be really familiar with from his time as a high school head coach, AAU administrator/coach, and high school athletic director?

The only I can think of from one of those settings is Madison.

Because Bz is the head coach and he has the final say on who gets a look and an offer. He does not know how to evaluate ACC talent.

I think Bz just broke down and started to cry on that last question. Anyone else listening? Uncomfortable.

Back