• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Hip-Hop thread

Tribe Called Quest new album out on 11/11. This may be the first album I've purchased since 1998.

It's available for streaming right now and has exceeded all of my expectations. RIP Phife.

Somebody tell me if the Common album is good because he's usually a pretty boring rapper.

It's Common, so it's probably what you think it is. I like it all right, but there's too much good stuff out there right now. It's his best since Be, fwiw and imo.

Where do you rate it compared to their other albums? Which tracks are your favorites so far?

Where do you rate it compared to their other albums? Which tracks are your favorites so far?

I love Tribe, so I have a pretty high opinion of their stuff:
Low End Theory
Midnight Marauders
People's Instinctive Travels
We Got It From Here...Thank You 4 Your Service
Beats, Rhymes, and Life
The Love Movement

Favorite tracks are probably Black Spasmodic, We The People, and Enough!!, but it's pretty great all of the way through. I'm sure I'll have different ones 48 hours in.

So not as good as three of the best hip-hop albums ever but better than their efforts after they peaked. I'll take it.

I listened to it today. Lots of beats and notes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Listed to We Got It From Here today. I agree it's better that Beats and Love Movement. Not great but quite good. Jarobi kinda sucks the air out of some tracks.

Should I go see Isaiah Rashad when he comes through Philly?

Tough to compare this to other Tribe albums, I think it's right there with Beats and Love Movement but both of those had J Dilla. Digging Black Spasmodic and Dis Generation on a first pass.

ATCQ Space Program SNL performance is so good

Q Tip goes uncensored in the intro and drops like 10 straight 'niggas' (why it's so hard to find online) before passing it to Jarobi

Consequence and Busta in the audience is hilarious

Last edited:
Have been listening to it for about a week now... It is great to have new Tribe to listen to. Takes me back ~20 years to high school. Tough to say how it ranks against the older stuff... I mean, I wore out my Midnight Marauders CD. I think I actually had multiple copies over the years. That's one of my all-time favorites. This is good, but it clearly isn't that level of good.

Top tracks for me:
Dis Generation
Black Spasmodic
Solid Wall of Sound
The Donald

The Cool Kids are playing a show in my hood in a couple weeks but it's one of the Red Bull series where you RSVP but you still gotta line up and get in on a first come, first served basis. Might try to go.

I will also listen to TCK today.

Back