• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

My MIL is 90 minutes away. If I can ever afford it, I'm building an in-law suite for her. The woman is a saint.

You guys told me this would happen. And damnit, you were right.

I've been sick more times these past seven months than the rest of my entire adult life.

Not as much when it involves over 5 hours round trip to drop them off and it's the youngest they don't offer to keep. If we could send the youngest 2, the oldest pretty much takes care of himself at this point (and we could probably finagle some sleepovers for him to get some adult only time).

act more entitled

she thinks they don't know what to do with kids, and uses her husband as evidence?

No, I just worry about leaving S so young without either of us, we didn't do that until E was 2. And they also definitely don't grandparent the way they parented, so schedules will be off, etc. I am just a worrier

Took the kids to the Wake game last night and the kids wanted to be on the big screen. So I danced and got us on the big screen.

#worldsbestdad

We'll see how they fee about that behavior when they turn 13.

setting up a baby registry now. any must haves or things you dont need?

We found Pack-n-Play to be great, as well as a good video monitor (the two way radio feature has been great now that she's old enough for us to talk to her when needed).

Also, something that you might not think of until you have one- when you pack a diaper bag (and get a big enough one) make sure you pack extra clothes for yourselves, because shit literally happens (and spit up too).

We also did cloth diapers and really thought it was great- much cheaper, really not much work either, and better for the environment. But so much cheaper and you never run out of diapers or have to make special trips to buy more.

We found Pack-n-Play to be great, as well as a good video monitor (the two way radio feature has been great now that she's old enough for us to talk to her when needed).

Also, something that you might not think of until you have one- when you pack a diaper bag (and get a big enough one) make sure you pack extra clothes for yourselves, because shit literally happens (and spit up too).

We also did cloth diapers and really thought it was great- much cheaper, really not much work either, and better for the environment. But so much cheaper and you never run out of diapers or have to make special trips to buy more.

Luckily for the rest of us, they now have this trendy little thing called Amazon that doesn't involve cleaning shit off of rags.

To each their own, but I like the cloth as well. We have been using a disposable at night, though. Just couldn't figure out a good 12 hour solution.

Items we loved: swaddleme, pajamas with zippers (snaps are annoying), Boon drying grass for bottles and stuff, I have a boon changing station that's plastic with a rubber mat. It's more money up front but doesn't involve any covers and just gets wiped down when needed. And it needed wiping after most changes in those first few months of him peeing/popping annnny time his diaper came off.

I kept some cheap baby washcloths next to the table to put over his area as soon as the diaper came off so at least he didn't pee on his own face.

That's kind of a random assortment but just some thoughts off of the top of my head!

Luckily for the rest of us, they now have this trendy little thing called Amazon that doesn't involve cleaning shit off of rags.

I'd like to know what kind of magical children you have if you never had to clean shit off of clothes.

#teamclothdiapers

Our "must haves" -sound machine, sleep sacks, aden and anais burpy bibs (these are awesome because they cover shoulders, snap on so kids can't rip them off and are good for food or spitup), if your wife plans to nurse, get a boppy and several extra covers....

Cleaning up some leakage off some clothes once every 2 weeks or so is a lot different than scooping poop out of the diaper every time they drop a deuce (which can be like 5 times a day at the beginning). If that's your thing then go for it, more power to you, but I'll take the modern convenience in this instance.

Cleaning up some leakage off some clothes once every 2 weeks or so is a lot different than scooping poop out of the diaper every time they drop a deuce (which can be like 5 times a day at the beginning). If that's your thing then go for it, more power to you, but I'll take the modern convenience in this instance.

That's not how it works. At least not for babies that are exclusively breastfed (i don't know about formula fed)...and we use liners now that he eats food, gets dumped into the trash the same as your disposables. To each their own, but I would wager we clean the same amount of poop up as you did and we bought diapers when E was born and haven't had to spend since then now solidly on kid #2 with the same dipes.

edited to add: we use disposables when we are traveling and it always kills me to see how expensive they are.

I feel like there are a lot of things we've really liked, although some I'm sure we could have gotten by without. I think these are some of my best suggestions though:

-Fisher Price Rock N Play - the Bug slept in this for the first 3 months next to our bed and it fit in our room much better than a PnP or a bassinet. It also folded down to travel pretty well
-Graco Pack N Play - if you have a small space it may not be necessary, but this was basically our downstairs napper, changing table, etc, and we still use it every week day for her to nap with the nannyshare at our house
-Boppy - we had two (one for upstairs and one for downstairs) and they were great for nursing or just holding her on your lap or propping her on the couch. And we actually still use it when we read books in the glider at night since
-Green Sprouts Waterproof bibs - she basically wore one of these all the time the first months when spit up happened a lot. The waterproofness allowed us not to have to change her clothes every time
-Fisher Price Kick and Play Piano Gym - not a "necessity" probably, but it's small and fun and is good for both smaller babies laying down as well as when they start to sit up. We've had a lot of friends buy this as well and all of them have liked it a lot
-Swaddlemes - these were MUCH easier for us to swaddle for the first few months, and then swaddle sacks were a good transition. We still use one actually that's more of a blanket with holes for feet to come out (at 21 months)
-Drying rack of some sort - we have a First Year's spin one, but I've heard good things about the Boon grass. Even if you're exclusively breast feeding, you'll probably want to integrate bottles at some sort, and there will be plenty of other baby stuff that needs hand washing and drying
-Car seat - duh. #youdoyou but we liked our Graco Snugride 35. Have lots of friends that have loved other ones. Our convertible is a Britax and we like that too.
-Quick zip sheets - we've liked these are crib sheets because you leave the base on and can easily zip off the top to change out at night or in a pinch
-Vick's Starry Night Cool Mist Humidifier - double duty as humidifier and nightlight - we use it every night
-Safety First Sleepy Baby Nail Clippers - small item, but they've been great for us with the light on the end
-Carrier - lots of options out there and another #youdoyou. Lots of folks love Moby wrap, I liked a mei tai style carrier early on and then we liked our Ergo a bit later (the infant insert was a bit hot in the summer, but would be great other times)
-Medela microwave sanitizing bags are great for pump parts, as well as bottle stuff, pacis, etc.
-I second that zippers on jammies are much preferable to snaps - but I'd vote for nightgowns for the first bit while you're doing lots of nighttime diaper changes. Once you start leaving the diaper on all night it doesnt matter as much what they're wearing.

Back