• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Oh, and the Nose Freida. It seems so gross, but it works wonders. Seriously so much better than the bulb.

One thing that we (sort of) regret registering for and getting was a space saver high chair. Our house/dining area isn't huge, so we didn't want to get a whole separate high chair. So we picked out this space saver one that was recommended to us. We ended up using it for maybe a couple of weeks max before switching over to a Fisher Price booster seat:

V8638-healthy-care-booster-seat-d-1.jpg

If we could go back we would probably have just fed her in the bumbo with a tray or something for the first bit and then switched to the above. We found the high chair too restrictive with the 5 point harness and also pretty big and bulky (the tray came up really high on her chest too). Plus a fabric cover that was though to clean.

The booster is cheap, light weight, easy to clean, adjustable, travels well, and will pretty much work for years.

Do not set your Bumbo on the table. The baby will flip it over, fall off the table, and die.

Do not set your Bumbo on the table. The baby will flip it over, fall off the table, and die.

#truth

Don't ever put the baby on the table. Even when they are tiny and cannot move. Especially don't let them nap on the table.

Oooooooooooooooooops

1094764_929617696593_1128302364_n.jpg

1149037_943114434023_706160272_n.jpg

would the piano playmat just take the place of a bigger activity mat?

Probably? We had a bigger rainforest one that we registered for and got first. Then people recommended the piano one so we got that in addition. You really only need one playmat. otherwise you can just stick them on a blanket or colorful quilt on the floor with toys around. Not too different.

Oh, in terms of swings, exersaucers, jumperoos and the like...most people recommended to us that we not register for those, but rather see if we could borrow them from friends first to try them out (or buy cheap from Craigslist or neighborhood listservs or whatever). Cause some babies love them and some hate them and you don't want to waste money on a big clunky thing you never use. For instance we never used a swing (had a used one for a bit that she didn't care for) and didn't really like the borrowed jumperoo we tried.

But my parents got a hand me down exersaucer from some friends and she LOVED that thing. Would sit and play and jump in it for a really long time. We ended up putting it in the basement once she got older and meant to put it in the attic but never got around to it. Last weekend she saw it in the basement and made us bring it upstairs. She seriously played in it or around it for ridiculously long stretches of time over the weekend. She's 21 months old. Silly girl.

We have renamed our exersaucer 'The Poop Chair'. The Squirrel shits himself about 80% of the time he's in the thing for longer than 10 minutes. There must be something about the supported, upright position that acts like an infant squatty potty.

Saw a couple recs for the boppy for breast feeding. Wife did not like it but loved the breast friend. Open back current ed pillow vs firmer "tray" with wrap around that clipped shut. Check em both out and see what works For you... uh...Her.

Another thought my wife loves noise machine but in my experience it just taught our kids to need it to sleep. It can be tough to avoid it early on though since it can be easier at times.

Another thought my wife loves noise machine but in my experience it just taught our kids to need it to sleep. It can be tough to avoid it early on though since it can be easier at times.

We've liked the Sleep Sheep as a kind of in between. We turn it on at bedtime and it turns itself off after either 20 or 40 min (two settings). Then she sleeps ok with no noise after that. Sometimes if she's fussy (but not awake) we'll turn it back on to settle her down. I think she could go to sleep without it if need be though...agreed on not wanting to get dependent.

would the piano playmat just take the place of a bigger activity mat?

We got the piano mat after already having another play may and still use both. Actually, the other play mat is one that I would def recommend as well. It was $20 from ikea and he lovess it. It also is very easy to fold up and move around when not using it because it's mostly cloth/soft toys.

Speaking of IKEA, my SIL and BIL gave this tent to the Bug for Christmas this year and she friggin loves it

cirkustalt-children-s-tent__0120516_PE277185_S4.JPG

Looks like it was only around $30 and doesn't have a huge footprint (and is obviously very light weight). The drawback now is that she's getting crazy and physical these days so she gets inside and knocks it over onto the side and top and will probably split her head open on the wall soon.

We have this thing from Ikea which both of our kids have loved:

busa-children-s-tent__0122660_PE278983_S4.JPG

The current use for it is for our 5-year-old to wait for the 1-year old to crawl inside it, and then do a Jimmy Superfly Snooka leap from the back of the couch to land on his unsuspecting brother who can't see it coming. Good family fun.

E totally doesn't need a machine anymore and he was 100% dependent on it early. S uses a machine and a singing soothing seahorse. I am not concerned he will need it forever.

We use our dog now. She has a very soothing snore. Not kidding.

We have this thing from Ikea which both of our kids have loved:

busa-children-s-tent__0122660_PE278983_S4.JPG

The current use for it is for our 5-year-old to wait for the 1-year old to crawl inside it, and then do a Jimmy Superfly Snooka leap from the back of the couch to land on his unsuspecting brother who can't see it coming. Good family fun.

My friends have this and i go inside, although it used to be easier before

Back