• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

When I walked in the classroom to pick up the Boy after school yesterday, some other little dude walked up to me all fired up and was like, "[Boy] was a BAD boy today!" I just looked at him and was like, "okay," then went about my business, avoiding the urge to get down right in his face and be all "snitches get stitches, fucker" in a menacing way. His teachers kind of got all nervous and took the other little dude aside and told him that wasn't cool, then assured me Boy had a good day and I was all like, no worries, little kids are stupid.

Christmas is great and all with little kids but nap time cannot get here soon enough.

Kids under the age of 1 shouldn't be able to fly planes. Stay at home for a year.

If you're watching a basketball game and the score is 86-68 and you ask them how much one team is winning by to a 3rd grader, should they be able to do it?

Kids under the age of 1 shouldn't be able to fly planes. Stay at home for a year.

I disagree. Ours (10 months) has flown on 5 trips, cried a total of 3 minutes on one taxi ans slept the rest of the time. 10 year olds, on the other hand are obnoxious, especially if flying with siblings they fight with the whole time.

I disagree. Ours (10 months) has flown on 5 trips, cried a total of 3 minutes on one taxi ans slept the rest of the time. 10 year olds, on the other hand are obnoxious, especially if flying with siblings they fight with the whole time.

Yep. It all depends. Palma on the other hand, should just fly first class.

If you're watching a basketball game and the score is 86-68 and you ask them how much one team is winning by to a 3rd grader, should they be able to do it?

Depends on the child. That is basically a word problem, rather than just asking what 86-68 is. My daughter is in third grade, and I'm certain she could answer it right away if it were written down, and fairly certain she could get it if I just asked, "What is 86-68?" Might take a couple attempts the way you asked, though.

Depends on the child. That is basically a word problem, rather than just asking what 86-68 is. My daughter is in third grade, and I'm certain she could answer it right away if it were written down, and fairly certain she could get it if I just asked, "What is 86-68?" Might take a couple attempts the way you asked, though.

Yeah, next question was "what would
You use to figure that out" hoping for subtraction, but his dad jumped in before I could get there

They should be able to work it out with paper. Some can do it in their head, but probably not expected of every 3rd grader.

So it is nearly 8:15 and the Bug is still sleeping. Typically she wakes up around 6:00 (sometimes earlier and sometimes as late as 6:30, but rarely much later). I guess the poor girl is worn out from holiday activities.

Does she wake up for good then (~6am)?

The Squirrel has thankfully adapted to our vacation/holiday sleep schedule.

Yeah, she's up for good at 6am. But our bodies are pretty used to that so we're not even really able to "sleep in" these days. Even before her our dog used to be an early riser so we've been conditioned for a while.

Yeah, context is key for things like that at young ages. My kindergartener comes with me to almost every Hornets game, and sits there telling me the score difference all game, "The Hornets are down by ___ points, they need to score", or "The Hornets are up by ___ points, I think they'll win". So he could figure that out in his head in an instant. But the reverse of RW42, if I just asked him "what is 86-68" he would have no idea.

Driving back from NJ. On and off for the past hour squirrel had required that I hold his hand in order to go back to sleep which is fine but I'm in the front seat. Think my arm may fall off from twisting around this way.

We usually do one of those polar express things. It's boring as hell and usually includes an embarrassing meltdown.

So my oldest wants Skylanders for Christmas. It seems like a neat series of games but it also seems like it drains money like crazy and he'll just keep wanting more and more of them and will never be happy.

My daughter is really into Disney Infinity, so I have played a fair amount with her. It is very well crafted, and given how often you are at the parks, it may be a better option for your son. It is still a money sink. It is less of a structured game than Skylanders, but the toy box creation adds a ton, if he likes that sort of thing.

He's big into Legos and building as well as creating stories around his creations so I agree.
He also doesn't seem to be that good at playing video games yet so I'm worried the game will be too frustrating.

He likes to watch videos of people playing Skylanders so he knows all the characters so the Infinity advantage isn't as much as you'd think. His only exposure to Infinity is in stores at Disney World.

So we bought Skylanders: Trap Team and Disney Infinity 3.0 Star Wars Starter Pack for Christmas. Got good deals on both for around $30. Technically one for each of them. Disney Infinity was kind of hard, especially playing two players on a split screen. I played with my 3 year old and I got stuck on a level in which I had to chase a bounty hunter through Coruscant. He was behind me telling me, "I believe in you, Daddy!" Talked to some other dads last night who had similar experiences.

Skylanders has been a huge win. My 6 year old is comfortable with it and does really well with it aside from the occasional puzzle and jumping coordination problems. My 3 year old seems to have a knack for it well beyond what I thought he'd be able to do. The Easy level provides a nice challenge but it isn't that frustrating for the boys or my wife who barely knows how to turn on a PS3. Yesterday, my wife and I just let them play by themselves for an hour while we set up for our NYE party. They played great together and finished two levels completely by themselves. I realized I miss the thrill of getting a new video game for Christmas and beating it before school starts.

We had a cool moment tonight. They were completing a boss battle, the hardest they've faced. With only two Skylanders, you have to restart a level if both players die. My 6 year old was already out and getting worried. My 3 year old was barely holding on. Instead of giving me the controller, my little guy stuck with it and won.

Most importantly, the boys are fine not having other characters or the traps that allow you to play as villain characters. We will probably get them a few as rewards, but I thought not having them would be a much bigger deal.

Driving back from NJ. On and off for the past hour squirrel had required that I hold his hand in order to go back to sleep which is fine but I'm in the front seat. Think my arm may fall off from twisting around this way.

Oh man, E totally had a phase like that. I forgot how many times I lost feeling in my twisted arm trying to hold his hands or touch his face.
S never did go through this, or at least not yet, which is good since there's no chance I could reach him in the van

So our nannyshare consists of 4 little girls right now. The Bug is the oldest (turned 2 at the end of May), the next one turned two the beginning of July, and a third turned two the beginning of August. The fourth just turned two in December.

We have been putting off potty training (at least in a serious way) to after the holidays, but apparently now the time has come. Our nanny has mentioned trying to get the three older girls trained together starting MLK weekend and beyond. God bless her.

Back