• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

We have that Graco 4ever one in both of our cars, still using it rear facing. No complaints and the fabric is pretty easy to take off to wash vom off of 😖

This just came up on my FB though
72b8c6ab8cbf7359f87496b4dc9fb3c7.jpg

My wife and I have been touring elementary schools since the girl is starting kindergarten this year. The way Durham handles magnet schools is jacked up and has my wife really stressing about it. You have to prioritize your schools and every school that we've toured basically says you won't get in to one of these schools unless it's your top priority.

Other places might do this too and I kind of get why they'd do it this way but now we have to try and evaluate which school we think she'd do best at and hope for the best.

Neighborhood school FTW !

Magnet schools work for a lot of those people. Good for you. But sending your kid to the school that most of the other kids on the street attend makes you life a lot easier, assuming it's a viable option. I've had friends who ultimately pulled their kids out of the magnets for that reason. And they were sick of play dates with kids who lived 25 minutes away.

I feel your pain, having gone through the DC lottery process last year. Sounds a bit different from the magnet school process you're going through, but similarly stressful and time consuming to try to figure out priorities.

I wish the public school one block away from our house was a more viable option. But also thankful we ended up getting off the waitlist into a neighborhood charter school that has gone well so far.

Growing up going to my in-bounds public elementary, middle, and high school was so much simpler.

We'll reassess when the kids get to middle school but we LOVE our neighborhood elementary school

Neighborhood school FTW !

Magnet schools work for a lot of those people. Good for you. But sending your kid to the school that most of the other kids on the street attend makes you life a lot easier, assuming it's a viable option. I've had friends who ultimately pulled their kids out of the magnets for that reason. And they were sick of play dates with kids who lived 25 minutes away.

Fortunately, the one we really want her to go to is the closest school to us geographically and a lot of her friends at daycare are also applying to the same school. But my wife is going to be a nervous wreck until they post the results on March 1st.

Yeah but there's no way you're all getting in there. There's a magnet school a half mile from my house that basically no one in the neighborhood attends. That's partly due to the later bell schedule, but mainly because we have a good neighborhood school (and privates).

Where are all the parents of teenage girls? Damn, I need to commiserate.

Give us a few years, though I do have an 18 year old sister, which actually made me super not thrilled about the thought of ever having a teenage girl...enter Lady P.

My daughter is 7 and absolutely adores me. Complete daddy's girl. I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

Please don't call her lady p chic.

My daughter is 7 and absolutely adores me. Complete daddy's girl. I'm enjoying it while it lasts.

Please don't call her lady p chic.

It doesn't work without her full name, I will refrain from it here.

When people set up their 529s for their kids, did you use your bank, your financial planner, or just do it yourself? I know that different states offer different functions when deciding where to establish yours out of, but I wasn't sure who the best would be in helping me determine that.

I live in GA and set mine up directly w/ TIAA. The state tax deductibility made it a no brainer.

Fortunately, the one we really want her to go to is the closest school to us geographically and a lot of her friends at daycare are also applying to the same school. But my wife is going to be a nervous wreck until they post the results on March 1st.

Even if you don't get in on the first go around, keep trying....took us a few years but we finally got a call off the wait list. Hard leaving the neighborhood school at that point (since it was great, just liked the calendar schedule better at the magnet), but it's working out so far.

When people set up their 529s for their kids, did you use your bank, your financial planner, or just do it yourself? I know that different states offer different functions when deciding where to establish yours out of, but I wasn't sure who the best would be in helping me determine that.

Yeah depends if you live in a state where they're deductible. I'm in NC where it's not, so I opened one with Vanguard (Utah I believe) which has one of the better performing 529s with low costs.

Yeah depends if you live in a state where they're deductible. I'm in NC where it's not, so I opened one with Vanguard (Utah I believe) which has one of the better performing 529s with low costs.

I'm also in NC where there is no incentive to use the state 529. Did some research and decided on New York - I just signed up myself. It was very easy and I've found their online portal is user friendly.

Back