• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

from Magary's mailbag

Email of the week!

Jim:

Recently, my kids ate the bare minimum amount of dinner in order to qualify for dessert, as always. That night’s selection was from the plastic sugar variety pack box: Gushers, Fruit Roll Ups and Fruit by the Foot. Of course, there was only one Fruit by the Foot left, almost certainly because I ate one long after their bedtime, and they both demanded it. I immediately went into mediation mode trying to come up with some grand bargain so there wouldn’t be a huge fight, but my heart wasn’t in it and they weren’t buying it. At that very moment, I realized that the individually wrapped Fruit by the Foot felt bulkier than normal. I tore it open to reveal TWO separate rolls where there was only supposed to be ONE! Both kids went away happy for at least the next 6 minutes, and I experienced a wave of serendipitous euphoria unlike anything I’d ever felt before.

Am I making too big a deal of this, or was this truly something special?

‘Twas a miracle. Write of it on sacred parchment.

from Magary's mailbag

damn, how does it happen like this every time? i swear they wait for each other to answer just so they can choose the most contentious answer, and then whoever doesn't get their way is all pissy about it.

ex:

me to girl: Do you want the strawberry or the mixed berry yogurt?
girl: (hesitates. has no problem with either flavor.)
boy: I don't like the purple one as much, can I have the strawberry one?
me: sure. Ok, girl, mixed berry for you!
girl: (realizing she no longer has choice, decides she wants what he said ...mostly because he said it)!! but iiiiiiiiiiiiiiii want the strawberry one!
me: (thinking to myself... i did this poorly)

This happened probably 3 times before I stopped asking for opinions and just started presenting things - "Here is your yogurt."

Wife called me at work to tell me 4 yo was gonna go see Pirates of Caribbean with his gmom and older cousins. Fuck that. Now I have to be the asshole that says no.

Yeesh, be an asshole. How on earth does that seem like a good idea? We watched the second Harry Potter movie with a 6yo this weekend and I had to tell PM that the 3rd and beyond weren't appropriate for her (he's not familiar with the stories or movies). Even the 9yo might get freaked out by the dementors, but at least he'll understand what they are from reading the book.

sounds miserable

in other news, wife leaves on Sunday for three weeks and I'm soloing our 14 mo old. pls send thoughts and prayers

I think it depends on the kid - my 7 year old begged to see Power Rangers which was PG-13 and loved it. He also begged and loved Guardians of the Galaxy.

4 year old seeing Pirates is silly though. Almost as silly as my mom taking my son to see Sausage Party and having to walk out after 15 minutes not realizing what it was. Grandparents, they are the worst.

I think it depends on the kid - my 7 year old begged to see Power Rangers which was PG-13 and loved it. He also begged and loved Guardians of the Galaxy.

4 year old seeing Pirates is silly though. Almost as silly as my mom taking my son to see Sausage Party and having to walk out after 15 minutes not realizing what it was. Grandparents, they are the worst.

power rangers and guardians are both PG13 more for the violence and language/situational stuff that would mostly be over their heads, though.

the harry potter stuff is scary because it's all imaginative ghosts/monsters stuff... and THAT is the kind of stuff that makes a kid have to sleep with the lights on, or wake you up in the middle of the night to make sure snakes can't actually travel through the pipes and come out the sink and bite you (at least not in suburban Portland).

Funny you say that today. Wife dropped off the 4 yo at day care this morning. One if his friends ran over waving a pg 13 movie all excited that it was movie day and he brought that. Uh... no.

Make all the snide comments you want; I'm still living it and the observations are real.

Make all the snide comments you want; I'm still living it and the observations are real.

parenting is parenting and step or otherwise just adds different issues so feel free to fumble and stumble around like the rest of us.

Yeah. It's just funny to see a poster do a 0-60 transition into a parent without the usual 9 month waiting period.

Step parenting is in many ways harder than biological parenting.

You guys didn't tell me how exhausting newborns are. This gets better, right?

yeah, they get better and you adapt to less and poorer-quality sleep.

They do not get less exhausting though. at least not through 14 months. I assume it's not until they can dress themselves in the AM

Did you guys keep them in your bedroom for a while as newborns? If so, for how long before transitioning them to the nursery?

Did you guys keep them in your bedroom for a while as newborns? If so, for how long before transitioning them to the nursery?

We put both of ours in their own room day 1 from the hospital.

And yes it stays exhausting but it gets much more fun. Seriously the first 6 months the kid is like 90% plant, just feed it and make sure it stays alive. Right now when my kids get home from school and daycare they want to play baseball in the yard and marvel at how far i can hit the ball. Then we play jackpot in the back yard while i grill and then we often times eat dinner on the back patio before they take baths and go to sleep.

I do miss babies sometimes tho.

Back