• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

i don't think there is a right answer about moving a baby to it's own room. my wife was nursing for for the first few months it was just easier to gab the baby out of the bassinet, nurse, burp and go back to sleep. that way you don't have to get up, leave the room etc. once the wife tired of that and we moved her to her own room i was able to get out of bed, bring the baby back to nurse, burp, change diaper, and put her back in her room because my wife was doing all the work.

Our 3 month old is still in the room for a lot of reasons mentioned above. Much better for getting back to sleep when all you have to do is roll over and get kid out of the pack and play next to your bed.

yeah, they get better and you adapt to less and poorer-quality sleep.

They do not get less exhausting though. at least not through 14 months. I assume it's not until they can dress themselves in the AM

It's been the adapting to less sleep that has helped most with this newest kid. You surprise yourself. I seem to recall the first sleeping better earlier but memory is pretty foggy from back then.

It's just brutal when she decides she is going to stay awake for the entire time between the 1:00 and 4:00am feedings.

yeah, it gets better, though. one thing that worked for us was I had to take her to the rocking chair and just ignore her/pretend i was asleep. she would be all wrapped up and wait for me to look at her and then snap back wide awake.

It's just brutal when she decides she is going to stay awake for the entire time between the 1:00 and 4:00am feedings.

yes, i remember this very well. i'll always remember one particular night was the night auburn beat oregon in the BCS championship and i watched pretty much the entire replay between like 2-4 with birdie just wide ass open. when i said i miss babies sometimes let me just say i don't miss that shit. i miss them peacefully falling asleep on your chest while you watch golf on a sunday afternoon. that shit is the best.

Also, the whole act fussy and hungry for a while, then immediately fall asleep while trying to feed. Girl, you need to make up your mind.

We are finally to the point where we can start putting her to bed around 8 and have her go down on her own. Gives mom and dad (ok mostly mom) a break for at least a couple hours. This is assuming the older one has successfully gone down as well and has not been up emptying her dresser of all clothes.

Did you guys keep them in your bedroom for a while as newborns? If so, for how long before transitioning them to the nursery?

#1 stayed in our room until she was 8 weeks old; at that point she went into her own room without issue.

#2 is currently in our room (only 2 weeks old). Hope to transition around the 8-12 week mark. Her overnight schedule is still a little inconsistent so once it becomes a bit more stable we'll talk about transitioning her out, though she's going to be sharing a room with #1 so we might keep her in the master a little longer until we feel like she's a good enough sleeper to minimize disruption to #1.

ETA: wife nursed with #1 and is currently nursing #2

My dad powers do not include the memory that some of you have. fuck if I know the age when my kids moved rooms or ate solids or switched from bottles to sippy cups.

My dad powers do not include the memory that some of you have. fuck if I know the age when my kids moved rooms or ate solids or switched from bottles to sippy cups.

You're speaking my language, Bro Nameth.

ITCbaby just started saying bye bye and waving at the proper time, that is when she and people are actually leaving and it's totes adorbs

Is 4-5 the ideal age for kids? My daughter is pretty awesome right now. You can have a conversation with her, make her do things, and she gets really excited about really simple things, like me installing a new toilet seat for her.

Is 4-5 the ideal age for kids? My daughter is pretty awesome right now. You can have a conversation with her, make her do things, and she gets really excited about really simple things, like me installing a new toilet seat for her.

More like 34-35.

I rely on date stamped pictures for these "memories" and if those don't exist it's just an educated guess.

parenting is parenting and step or otherwise just adds different issues so feel free to fumble and stumble around like the rest of us.

Yeah. It's just funny to see a poster do a 0-60 transition into a parent without the usual 9 month waiting period.

fair enough. I just... feel awkward sometimes when other 'real moms' are talking about their kids of the same-ish ages, and I have something to add or a story or whatever, but then I feel really conflicted about sharing it because my experience or story isn't legit since I'm not their real mom. Like, a biological mom can complain that her kid was being a whiny asshole and she gets all kinds of sympathy. I say that to the wrong crew or offer up what I did in a similar situation, and suddenly I'm a horrible person for CLEARLY not loving the kids enough and complaining that they were being difficult (and the fact I offered an option that worked at our house is lost). I know it's only been a year that I've been around these kids and I don't pretend even for a second that I know everything (or some days even anything).. but I would like to be able to just join conversations without saying things and keeping my chest inflated, waiting to defend myself.

Are you going to want kids of your own creation or are the step kiddos going to be enough

We want our own. His kids are awesome, which puts pressure on making another awesome kid, but yes. That's the hope. I will definitely be looking here for advice when that's the case.

Step parenting is in many ways harder than biological parenting.

There are moments it sucks (like above and the related awkwardness/frustration/devaluation) and there are moments it's great; like when PM's daughter includes me on her 'list of favorites' (above the cat!), and also in that while I can help regulate household rules ('please use your silverware correctly'), if there's every any real discipline that's all on PM.

Last edited:
Did you guys keep them in your bedroom for a while as newborns? If so, for how long before transitioning them to the nursery?

We kept him in our room for about 3 months. I wanted to keep him in longer and follow the 6month recommendation but for selfish reasons kind of wanted our room back and felt safe with our movement monitor.

You're speaking my language, Bro Nameth.

Weird, I wonder if you don't remember it that well because you weren't the one WAKING UP MULTIPLE TIMES A NIGHT FOR A YEAR?!

Weird, I wonder if you don't remember it that well because you weren't the one WAKING UP MULTIPLE TIMES A NIGHT FOR A YEAR?!

Woman please. Men have it way harder than women do in this situation. We also have to wake up because the baby is loud and we still hear him/her through the monitor. Then we sometimes get up and change the diaper while you get your boobs situated. THEN we have to go back to bed ALONE and try to go back to sleep. Then the worst part, we have to spend all next day listening to you whine about how tired you are.

What do you guys do? Whip you boobs out and sit there with a human attached. Let's be honest, that's how we got ourselves in this situation anyway.

Point: Team y-chromosome

None of you know my wife, right?

Back