• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

We've found it's all about the habit and routine. For the 9 mon old we basically try to do it as we're cleaning him up from meals (and probably do it 60% of the time).

For the four year old we do it every morning after breakfast when she's in the bathroom to go potty before leaving for school. And then at night after books when she's in the bathroom going potty before bed. So basically we're in the bathroom anyway and she knows now it's part of the routine. She "brushes" herself for like 10 seconds and then hands it to us to finish up.

Also surprised at the preggo test text. I've had a scare before and gave the boy a heads up that things were late in person, then took the test at his house so we both had to be nervous together. No bun in the oven that time thankfully though!

+1 on the text. Interesting way to communicate life-changing news to your significant other.

First time having a sitter pick up our children - she's using her car. Pickup location is about 15 mins from our home. How much do I tack on for the driving/pick up, on top of her hourly sitting rate? Calculating approx 30 mins round trip, add 50% of her hourly rate? Or flat rate add-on ($10 enough?)

With E we have a good routine(though he's had 10 cavities filled and a crown... So we had to), p loves to copy E and so let's us do it. S we kinda have to force. Not fun. Teeth care sucks. We started brushing as soon as they had teeth though, because obviously there's some not great teeth genetics (from their dad)

10 fillings and a crown whaaaaa. How do they do that on toddlers, put them to sleep? You sure that dentist fella ain't taking y'all for a ride?

We've had run-ins with lack of motivation with out 12 year old.

We tried the carrot first. My son loves roller coasters and wants to go to Cedar Point. After sensing a C coming in first quarter, we told him that if he got straight As from then out, we'd take a summer trip to Cedar Point.

He got 2 Cs the next report card. All from not turning in homework.

Then, we took away all outside of school screen time and went over every piece of homework, every night.

We still had a scare with Band. At one point 4th quarter, he was failing because he wasn't tuning in class work. He thought note ID was beneath him. But, grades ended up much better. All As in 3rd and I think a B in 4th.

Knowing we were serious with punishment (he had a friend sleep over for his birthday and no tv or Xbox) and forcing interest in his work did it.

damn, 9mo? the best i can do right now is wipe em off with a cloth and she's 14 mo; her hand blocking skills are Tim Howard level

i've been trying to get her to do it herself while i brush my teeth just to get her used to having it in her mouth and she'll hold it up to her face but not in her mouth
Pretty sure that's all you do until they about 2, just let them try out the brush and get used to it.

I know newborns occasionally stop breathing at night, but holy shit it scares the crap out of me when the Angel Care monitor goes off in the middle of the night.

no palmab04's anytime soon, definitely will be something I'll end up thinking about going forward, but the smarter decision.

Lol...got to try for the right balance....

a70188d01f100135b667005056a9545d

10 fillings and a crown whaaaaa. How do they do that on toddlers, put them to sleep? You sure that dentist fella ain't taking y'all for a ride?

Yes, they do twilight sedation when they can fill them quickly and put them totally out if they need to. Definitely not taking us for a ride or would have had us do P and S. Plus didn't charge us for the crown since it was a tooth they had previously filled. Also not filling a cavity in his front tooth since they will fall out soon.

First day of being solo dad for two months with a 4 month old (my paternity leave) since wife has gone back to work. Thoughts and prayers?

I did it for a semester. The play pad was a godsend. He would wear himself out and I would lay there and relax.

You can handle it, for sho'

I just finished 2.5 weeks solo with my 14mo while ITCwife was in iceland on a field expedition. Props to all the real full-time single parents. It's no fucking joke.

You can handle it, for sho'

I just finished 2.5 weeks solo with my 14mo while ITCwife was in iceland on a field expedition. Props to all the real full-time single parents. It's no fucking joke.

Our daughter is 5 weeks old now and I can't count the number of times my wife and I have looked at each other and said some variation of how TF do single parents do this.

Back