• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

First day of being solo dad for two months with a 4 month old (my paternity leave) since wife has gone back to work. Thoughts and prayers?

T&Ps, of course. I'd recommend finding some outside-the-house activities that engage the baby - they can be a nice change of pace for both of you, aside from the regular errands and just being around the house.

When I did this for a couple months, my son was slightly older, but we visited the local library for reading/play time and hit up a park/playground at least once a week.

good luck, hope he/she naps for you

This is the key. Solid mid-day naps are so clutch.

I did it for a semester. The play pad was a godsend. He would wear himself out and I would lay there and relax.

For me, it was the exersaucer and rock/play. They afforded a bit more freedom to wash dishes, prepare a meal, relax, or whatever.

You can handle it, for sho'

Props to all the real full-time single parents. It's no fucking joke.

All of this.

The one downer for me is that it's middle of summer where we have highs of 150 degrees and 90% humidity. So pretty much only morning for walks and outside activities. But they have free childcare at the Y so I plan to escape there a few times a week to exercise.

Otherwise this baby is basically perfect. Good napper and bottle taker.

You can handle it, for sho'

I just finished 2.5 weeks solo with my 14mo while ITCwife was in iceland on a field expedition. Props to all the real full-time single parents. It's no fucking joke.

Our daughter is 5 weeks old now and I can't count the number of times my wife and I have looked at each other and said some variation of how TF do single parents do this.

T&Ps, of course. I'd recommend finding some outside-the-house activities that engage the baby - they can be a nice change of pace for both of you, aside from the regular errands and just being around the house.

When I did this for a couple months, my son was slightly older, but we visited the local library for reading/play time and hit up a park/playground at least once a week.

This is the key. Solid mid-day naps are so clutch.

For me, it was the exersaucer and rock/play. They afforded a bit more freedom to wash dishes, prepare a meal, relax, or whatever.

All of this.
Single parent families get all of my respect. I've had some real issues with cabin fever, so getting out has really helped. I've also started strapping her to me and involving her in things I do outside, which has also helped. Things like simple gardening, mowing, etc.

We had a major win this weekend, she slept for 6.5 hours, 2 out of the 3 nights. It's amazing how much different you feel when you aren't waking up every 3 hours.

I stayed home with both my boys for about 2 months when they were infants and my wife's maternity leave was up. Naps, walks around the neighborhood and reading books over and over were my go to strategy. Worse part was when second kid would not take a bottle from me

I stayed home with both my boys for about 2 months when they were infants and my wife's maternity leave was up. Naps, walks around the neighborhood and reading books over and over were my go to strategy. Worse part was when second kid would not take a bottle from me

I'll be moving into full time care in a couple of months, and I really hope my son makes peace with the bottle by then. He drank an ounce this morning while my wife was working out - but that was after fifteen minutes of screaming.

I'll be moving into full time care in a couple of months, and I really hope my son makes peace with the bottle by then. He drank an ounce this morning while my wife was working out - but that was after fifteen minutes of screaming.

i tried everything including wrapping my wife's sweater around me when it was feeding time so the our boy might smell her scent and be hungary. I also remember having some wrestling matches with him over that damn bottle! It all worked out though- he didn't eat nearly as much as our first born but he is a strong healthy guy 7 year old now!

Get one of those boob things like Robert DeNiro has in Meet the Fockers!

How old? My daughter stopped takin a bottle from me reliably at like 6 mo or so, which is around the time we started solids

rough; my daughter never really took bottles from me, period, unless she was super hungry or half asleep. thoughts and prayers

You're never too old

image-4-for-yourlife-telly-money-3rd-august-2011-gallery-866854292.jpg

email from another daycare parent:

Hi Teachers,

Thank you so much for working with us on trying to determine what is causing Bailey’s reactions in the classroom. Process of elimination is all we can do for now so I appreciate your help! If we can please keep her out of the sleep room and that back closet for any naps that would be great. She did not breakout in an all over body rash yesterday for the first time since we have been back and I think that is attributable to keeping her out of those rooms (no idea what could be in the air).

Please do not use the seventh generation wipes on Bailey, there is a pack on Honest wipes in the main room for her. I do not believe she has a diaper rash, I think she is having some kind of skin irritation from the wipes considering she is only flaring up here and it settles at home….could be something else but fingers crossed we can get this resolved soon.

Thank you again for all of your help!

It's probably all those nasty vaccines they're giving Bailey. Did you know they contain mercury?

the failing NY Times article about raising a reader is great advice for all parents, but especially for new parents. Well worth a look.

Back