• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

newborns can totally complain about taste; my daughter would calm and listen to certain books and cry and fidget for others. I remember because it was so incredible to me that a sub 2 mo old human would have clear preferences over picture books with shapes and 4 colors.

Anyone have a tree nut allergy or have a little one with it? We discovered a cashew allergy Friday night for one of the girls. It was a terrifying ordeal, and we are still dealing some off-and-on flue like symptoms after the round of meds.

Yes. My 8 year old has a peanut/tree nut allergy.

My toddler has a peanut allergy. It's gotten more annoying as she is at the age now where I would love to take her out for ice cream and to birthday parties without worrying about it. I think we will likely look into oral desensitization therapy, her allergist is a top researcher and said they are having good results and we can likely start it when she is around 4.

For those with peanut/treenut allergies, would you mind sharing how you found out and/or how they manifest?

Our oldest (4) has not exhibited anything. She eats PB all the time. Although I don't believe she has ever had almonds or cashews.

The younger one (10 mon) has been given PB twice and both times he got a slight redness/rash around his mouth. No other obvious symptoms or any sign of anaphylaxis. We are going to chat with the doc about it at his 12 mon checkup and have just not given him any PB in the meantime. But didn't know if that could be a precursor to a more serious reaction down the road, or what.

You should definitely get the younger one checked out. Allergy testing would be helpful for both.

We found out about mine when he was 13 months old. He broke out in hives from eating lunch with a child who brought a PB sandwich. We don't know if he ate any or it was just from contact. He has a severe PN/TN allergy and can't be around it at all. We have to be careful about cross contamination as well.

My one year old at the time got hives and breath started getting raspy from peanuts. We took her to the hospital where fortunately all she needed was tons of Benadryl. This was the second time she had peanut butter, the first time nothing happened go figure. I don't think hers is as sensitive to secondhand contact as Ph's son's allergy so we're not as vigilant in avoiding situations where peanuts may be present. No idea on tree nuts though, haven't had many situations to try and introduce her to those.

Bad news is this allergy is not typically one you grow out of, according to our allergist. Very low chances of that happening. Hopefully for her sake it can be manageable, I'm pretty sure I have a couple minor food allergies that I just ignore and eat the foods anyway.

My 7 year old has a tree nut allergy, just diagnosed. He had occasionally complained abut a scratchy throat when he had nutella, but that was infrequent and went away quickly and we do not eat a lot of tree nuts in our house. He is fine with PB. What sucks is that he had a donut hole at a restaurant recently and got a hive so we had to give him benadryl, and now we have to pay for epipens for school, camp, etc.

Yo homies, does Uber and lyft drivers typically have car seats available? Traveling solo with my fella soon and wondering.

Yo homies, does Uber and lyft drivers typically have car seats available? Traveling solo with my fella soon and wondering.

I've never seen a carseat in an uber/lyft car. Not sure if that's something you can specifically request, though.

Not sure about Lyft, but you can request an Uber Car Seat with an UberX car in some markets.

i don't see where on either platform

i guess it must be listed by the driver if it's an option

I always travel with our seat because i don't want to get stuck and i don't want my kid in a gross seat. plus they check for free and I stick her diapers in the bag with the car seat

i don't see where on either platform

i guess it must be listed by the driver if it's an option

I always travel with our seat because i don't want to get stuck and i don't want my kid in a gross seat. plus they check for free and I stick her diapers in the bag with the car seat

It's only available as an option in certain markets; I think it's just DC, NYC, Philly.

i think in PA the law is after 4 they can use a booster seat w/ a seat belt; boosters aren't legally required after 8 years. not sure what the pediatric guidelines are; probably by height and weight

Good lord, how far are you going ? Just hold the kid for a few minutes. They sure as heck don't have car seats in cabs and people have been riding in those with their kids forever.

I've always found it ridiculous that I have to keep my kid in a booster seat in my car until 8yrs/80lbs, yet every day he rides on a schoolbus, owned/driven by the state, for 2 hours with 25 kids jumping around without even a seatbelt. I don't mind the booster seat requirement, but the hypocrisy is absurd.

Back