• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

25% of parents think their kids have food allergies. 4% actually do. 1 in 5 of those actually need treatment. And as many kids die from food allergies as do from lightning strikes. But go ahead, get freaked out about a rash.

People attempt to avoid lightning strikes. Why not avoid allergens?

People attempt to avoid lightning strikes. Why not avoid allergens?

Cause it makes you annoying in social situations for the rest of your life on one hand, on the other hand you just don't go golfing in thunderstorms.

Looking out for kids' health is worth being annoying.

Where is the link by the way?

Ah come on he's getting you.

There have to be better ways to spend a Sunday night than trolling an allergy post plama.

I see people putting themselves in harms way wrt lightning all the time. Very common in central Florida.

Thanks for the feedback on the allergies. We are seeing the allergist on Tuesday. How bad is the testing? She's 2.5 for some context.

It depends on what kind of testing she needs done. If they do a skin test it is a prick for each thing they test which can suck if they decide to test for a bunch of things. Once the initial pricks are done with your kid likely screaming then they just have to wait 15 minutes or so and not touch the area. Our ped had us do blood testing prior to visiting the allergist which sucked way worse cuz they needed several vials of blood and we had to restrain a totally hysterical kid.

If they are just concerned about tree nuts for your daughter then hopefully it will just be a skin prick for a few things and not too terrible.

Palma's troll act is trollish. In other words, he is a troll.

How old should a kid be before doing an allergy test?

Both my wife and I have tons of environmental and food allergies, some of hers anaphylactic, so we asked at her 4 month checkup. Our pediatrician suggested waiting until at least 2 years old to go through the actual testing, as allergies can change drastically from birth until that age.

My daughter had eczema until she was almost one. Turns out eczema is now associated with peanut allergies and you should feed kids with eczema peanuts early (under doctor supervision!) That greatly reduces the likelihood of developing a peanut allergy. An allergy wasn't on our radar early on cuz there is no family history. The research is fairly new but I'm kinda pissed at our pediatrician for not being aware of it and on the ball to have us introduce peanuts early.

Her peanut allergy presented as hives all over her face when I gave her peanut butter at 1.

This is what she recommended we do, take a tiny bit of peanut butter and start rubbing it on her inside cheek starting at 4 months. She also recommended putting foods we are allergic to in a blender and doing the same, to build up immunities.

This is my first day back from my paternity leave. This has been the most challenging but rewarding 14 weeks of my life. Time to settle into a new routine.

Our son was 2 when we had him tested. They did the skin pricks and it wasn't so bad. It was essentially dragging a barb across his skin in different places.

Our son was 2 when we had him tested. They did the skin pricks and it wasn't so bad. It was essentially dragging a barb across his skin in different places.

Yeah when she was retested at about 2, my daughter didn't even care about the pricks which were nothing. The hardest part was wrestling her for 15 minutes so she couldn't mess with the test areas.

Damn, Tsy. 14 weeks is awesome. I was lucky to hit a weekend. Suuuuuucked. Thankful Mrs. BSD's mom could stay for 2-3 months.

The perks of being with the same company for going on 14 years, lots of accrued time. 12 weeks of FMLA plus two weeks of vacation since she was born early.

The perks of being with the same company for going on 14 years, lots of accrued time. 12 weeks of FMLA plus two weeks of vacation since she was born early.

That seemed awfully inconsiderate of your time.

Allergy desensitizing at a young age most likely has mixed results and you are probably better off attempting a non specific skewing of the immune system from the th2 to th1 environment. So in simpler terms make your kid dirty as possible.

Allergy desensitizing at a young age most likely has mixed results and you are probably better off attempting a non specific skewing of the immune system from the th2 to th1 environment. So in simpler terms make your kid dirty as possible.

How about extended trips to Five Guys, involving shaking everyone's hands, handling the peanuts, and spending excessive time in the restroom stalls?

2009_02_10_five_guys_peanuts.jpg

oldest of PM's kiddos (9) was dropped at sleep-away camp yesterday.

a) morning routine is a helluva lot easier with one kid (who actually listens really well when big bro isn't there to distract/provide audience).
b) fingers crossed there are no homesick calls from camp; I think I'm more optimistic about this than PM.

Back