• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Also, re: baby days.
This baby is a total unicorn baby. Sleeps through the night, hardly ever cries, is funny and affectionate, never any eating issues or gas/colic. I love our days and new experiences with her, but we are admittedly having a pretty easy go of things. I am already finding myself missing when she was an even younger baby (she's 10mo now), but I think more because I see how quickly she's growing and changing and learning, and it's very 'in your face' with how fleeting this stage is. No doubt there's more excitement to come, but I do get the feeling of wanting to freeze time.

Enjoy...

I was getting $5000 pre-tax deducted for a dependent care FSA. Usually the $5000 is use it or lose it that year with a 2.5 month grace period into the next year. We took the boys out of after school back in March and are doing e-learning.

I did some research and found that the IRS changed the rules to allow employees to stop or add to their FSA due to COVID-19. It was an easy email and phone call to end the deductions for the year. Just so everybody knows.

Lol with two kids in daycare I think I had the full 5k in expenses covered by mid March anyway.

Lol with two kids in daycare I think I had the full 5k in expenses covered by mid March anyway.

Obviously your mileage may vary here. We were out just the amount that had been taken out if my check so we lucked out.

Obviously your mileage may vary here. We were out just the amount that had been taken out if my check so we lucked out.

Yeah, I administer this plan as something new that was added the past year. All the enrollees have shut theirs off by now, and one person did get a bit screwed as he's not going to be able to use all his up.

Also, re: baby days.
This baby is a total unicorn baby. Sleeps through the night, hardly ever cries, is funny and affectionate, never any eating issues or gas/colic. I love our days and new experiences with her, but we are admittedly having a pretty easy go of things. I am already finding myself missing when she was an even younger baby (she's 10mo now), but I think more because I see how quickly she's growing and changing and learning, and it's very 'in your face' with how fleeting this stage is. No doubt there's more excitement to come, but I do get the feeling of wanting to freeze time.

We're on Week 7 and I would fast forward to 18 months in a second if I could. Our boy was on one last night. Just non-stop crying and fussiness due to unreal gas and indigestion. Since I've been back teaching remotely we are sleeping in separate rooms (her idea) so that I get enough sleep to make it through the day. She woke me at 5 this morning, I've never seen her so tired, and I just felt awful. I took over for 2 hours while she rested before school and I was about to lose my mind, he was unhinged. Luckily he calmed down when she woke back up and seems to be okay now. Apparently it is only a night thing.

But yeah I'm not a fan of this part of the life cycle. My wife doesn't like when I talk about it because she wants two, but I don't think I want to have a second. At least biologically. This is terror.

we got pretty lucky with ours since he's like lbe's -- doesn't really fuss unless something specific (poop, hungry, tired, teething, etc) and that can usually be mitigated almost instantly. sleeps well, and even during the early months there were only a few restless nights. very easy-going personality, laughs and smiles a lot. I'm enjoying this age more than his first few months because he's more alert and starting to understand things so you can play more with him.

plus we've been doing the baby-led weaning approach to feeding solids and it's fun to give him new things to try. highly recommend that. my sister did it and now her daughter eats anything you put in front of her.

Hang in there BillBrasky- it will get better. Having an infant kind of sucks- nobody wants to say that out loud but it does. But each week it gets a little easier, then a couple of months go by and it its a little easier, and then your little monster actually starts to do some cute stuff and you realize "hey, this is pretty awesome." My younger son gave us fits for his first 6 months, then we got him on some reflux meds, and everything changed and he became an absolute delight and has been awesome ever since (10 years old now). But man, those first weeks and months were fucking hard.

Hang in there BillBrasky- it will get better. Having an infant kind of sucks- nobody wants to say that out loud but it does. But each week it gets a little easier, then a couple of months go by and it its a little easier, and then your little monster actually starts to do some cute stuff and you realize "hey, this is pretty awesome." My younger son gave us fits for his first 6 months, then we got him on some reflux meds, and everything changed and he became an absolute delight and has been awesome ever since (10 years old now). But man, those first weeks and months were fucking hard.

Thanks man. Yeah I kind of inferred that being a new parent secretly sucked, but none of my friends gave me the real scoop. Of course most of them had already gone through it and were enjoying their child being older, as you referenced. Anyways we called the pediatrician this morning and she suggested a few (more) things that we are going to try. We'll be okay, I just need somewhere to vent.

Babies are alright but I really wish I could just pause everything on my girls right now at 13 months. Fully mobile, done with bottles, can't talk and dad absolutely hangs the moon. I remember feeling similarly about my son when he was around a year old.

My sons about to turn 2 climbs on everything, has zero fear, and can climb out of his baby gate.

I miss when we could put him somewhere and he would just stay there.

I’m sure there is a sweet spot for quarantining with kids but 1.5-2 is not it.

I'm sure I've posted it before, but I really start to enjoy my kids at ~18 months. I mean, it's not like I want to get rid of them before that point, but once they are mobile and can communicate better it is great.

My youngest (son) turns 2 in a couple of weeks and even though he's a handful (to put it mildly), he clearly loves me more than he loves anyone else in the world (including his mom).

Not surprisingly, our kids are each about 27 months apart (6/4/2)... Because we'd get to about 1.5 years and decide we could do it again.

But honestly, it was more my wife that was like, "never again" each time. And then our kid would hit about 18 months and she changed her tune because she didn't have a baby anymore. Which is weird because she hates babies.

I'm sure I've posted it before, but I really start to enjoy my kids at ~18 months. I mean, it's not like I want to get rid of them before that point, but once they are mobile and can communicate better it is great.

My youngest (son) turns 2 in a couple of weeks and even though he's a handful (to put it mildly), he clearly loves me more than he loves anyone else in the world (including his mom).

Not surprisingly, our kids are each about 27 months apart (6/4/2)... Because we'd get to about 1.5 years and decide we could do it again.

But honestly, it was more my wife that was like, "never again" each time. And then our kid would hit about 18 months and she changed her tune because she didn't have a baby anymore. Which is weird because she hates babies.

My wife took our son to get a haircut on Wednesday and yesterday morning I took him out to pick up breakfast so she could get some work done.

He ran back into the office and handed her his breakfast saying “Breakfast mommy” and she immediately went into “Where’s my baby?”

My sons about to turn 2 climbs on everything, has zero fear, and can climb out of his baby gate.

Haha. That's especially funny because I remember we both left the <Unnamed Atlanta Area> hospital at the exact same time. Our son is the same way. I think I tolerate it because he's our only boy and our last kid. And also because he annoys/pesters both of his older sisters and they needed that.

my niece is that way -- a year and a day older than my son. can't imagine being quarantined with her. on the flipside, the quarantine in retrospective has been nice because I got to spend much more time with my son than I would have normally.

he's now back in daycare and just started our top choice this week and so far so good.

my niece is that way -- a year and a day older than my son. can't imagine being quarantined with her. on the flipside, the quarantine in retrospective has been nice because I got to spend much more time with my son than I would have normally.

he's now back in daycare and just started our top choice this week and so far so good.

same here.
baby born october.
Maternity leave ended March 2nd. I was back at work for two weeks (husband stayed w/ daughter those two weeks until daycare spot opened up). She went to daycare for two days before everything shut down... and we were all home together after that.
Due to pandemic lots of folks pulled out of daycare, so we were able to call our #1 choice daycare and see if they had any spots in their infant room - lo and behold, they did, so she was able to get in and started on August 3rd. That has been incredible for her and us, but I'm still kind of astounded that I was able to be home w/ baby for over 9 months. Granted, the last couple months where she was mobile and we were trying to work and keep her safe pretty much sucked completely, but still. We only had to do ~15 days of pumping/bottle packing/bottle washing back in march... I was able to just nurse her the rest of the time, then we've slowly weaned to where now at daycare she does all solids during the day. It's been awesome.

someone else mentioned baby-led weaning up above; we did that as well and I also really recommend it. It works well for us because we already cook most meals and don't use a lot of salt in our cooking, so we really feel comfortable giving her whatever it is we're eating. I was (am) a little fearful of choking so some stuff we do cut down a bit more or give to her in smaller pieces rather than bigger things she would have to bite off, but her gag reflex is good and we both are brushed up on what to do if she's legit choking.

Babies are insanely cute for a reason. Otherwise they’d be less tolerable and the species would die out. Note: That’s why sex feels good too.

There’s a cardinal family that comes to our bird feeder every day. The dad and daughter were at the feeder and the daughter was just chirping away. I was wondering if animal children annoy parents like human children do.

thanks.
we balance out her calm by adding a 10yr old and an almost 13yr old 50% of the time. Not particularly interested in freezing time there...

i definitely get how babies can be exhausting and kids def get more fun as they get older. but i don't know that i've ever felt peace like when my daughter would take a nap on me at like 3-4 months.

yeah, hard to beat a baby sleeping on you. though i still like it the rare times my 4yo does as well

There is a sweet spot somewhere in the 6-9 month range where they are fairly robust, can sit up, but can't really go anywhere, nor do they have the desire to go anywhere and are content to just exist but also aware enough to allow you to run into the other room real quick without losing their minds and to occupy themselves with toys that are placed in within their reach....and by then they are usually sleeping like a champ.
That is the best "baby" stage (IMO).
You do forget how difficult babies are though (which is probably an evolutionary thing). I can remember when our first was 10 months old and my wife thought she might be pregnant again and I got about as close as I've ever come to a panic attack. 5 months later when she was pregnant for real I had just gotten to the point where I could stomach the concept of having another kid and by the time the second was born I was shocked about how much I had forgotten about little babies. I will say that the 2nd, while objectively harder (because you have two kids) than the first, felt easier because you knew you could do it and had been through it before.

Back