• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Yeah, reading Brasky's posts I'm trying to REALLY think back to what the first few weeks were like.
Honestly, I think baby was relatively easy. What I'm remembering more is my own physical discomfort and recovery - that part sucked, and is a bigger deterrent to having more kids than the baby factor. Well, that and the real belief that a second child would be a relative nightmare compared to #1. No way we get so lucky twice.

The 5yo can occupy the 2yo for up to 30 minutes at a time playing different games in their respective rooms, which allows us to occasionally do housework we'd normally put off until after they go to sleep. I feel like we've hit a real child-rearing sweet spot right now. Until one inevitably comes out with a broken arm or leg.

You definitely forget fairly quickly how hard things are with a newborn. The details get hazy fast. I’m barely conversational anymore about caring for babies even though I’m not far out of the woods (my youngest is 3.5).

But there are instinct things I could pick back up like riding a bike. I could probably still change a newborn diaper blindfolded with one hand and wash bottle parts as fast as I could at peak milk/formula consumption.

My sons about to turn 2 climbs on everything, has zero fear, and can climb out of his baby gate.

I miss when we could put him somewhere and he would just stay there.

I’m sure there is a sweet spot for quarantining with kids but 1.5-2 is not it.

This is my son exactly, except he’s three, and can do stuff like open the door and let himself out, or climb bookcases using only drawer handles, or climb up onto windowsills, or jump off of everything. It’s insane. And also kind of awesome, when I’m not afraid he’s going to hurt himself.

So, yeah, we’re one and done.

Last edited:
Yeah, reading Brasky's posts I'm trying to REALLY think back to what the first few weeks were like.
Honestly, I think baby was relatively easy. What I'm remembering more is my own physical discomfort and recovery - that part sucked, and is a bigger deterrent to having more kids than the baby factor. Well, that and the real belief that a second child would be a relative nightmare compared to #1. No way we get so lucky twice.

It can happen - overall, my girls were both easy babies.

it begins.

son came home from daycare on Friday with a cold. now wife and I have it. woof.

Both of mine were ok and leave me little to complain about beyond the normal, but still tough, stuff. We definitely went through difficult stretches.

The hardest part was my oldest would nurse and bottle feed at a crazy slow rate. 30-45 minutes each side sometimes. She would finish and it was almost time to start over. Not sure how my wife kept her sanity. She still eats excruciatingly slow some meals. Like 30-45 min after everyone else has moved on. On the other hand her younger brother would eat in 15 min flat. Still does.

it begins.

Went through our household last week. Started with the 6yo picking it up at "school". I was the only one that didn't get sick (yet).

it begins.

I thought I had a strong immune system prior to our son starting daycare
I had only missed 1 day of work in 10+ years and that was because I was feeling grubby during the swine flu outbreak and our office was very explicit that you shouldn't come to work if you feel at all bad (would've gone to work but for that declaration)
The next day after that I was fine
I got a few colds a year, but rarely anything that actually slowed me down

Once kid #1 started daycare, over the next 6-9 months I probably had 10+ colds and a few stomach bugs...all of which I got from him and he probably got from school
Kid #2 got the same stuff as kid #1, but since we'd been through it with Kid #1, we got sick much less from Kid #2.

Who has some good simple recipes (think sheet pan meals that can be prepped ahead) that are family friendly? Looking to take a little bit of the stress out of weeknights and the daycare pickup, dinner, bath, bed gauntlet.

Back when my kids were really little and even continuing up until right before covid I’d do all my cooking like the night before after their bedtime and make meals that could last at least 2 nights and that were also ok reheated. Basically cooking for the following nights to eat leftovers every night. I don’t really like reheated chicken or other meats that have a nasty reheated flavor/scent. So I make more Asian/Indian style dishes with heavier use of spices, soy/fish sauce, and vinegar/citrus and lots of veggies. Those flavors tend to hold up alright reheated and sometimes get better especially with the more stewy dishes. Some glop on a bowl/plate then add some freshly steamed veggies like broccoli isn’t exactly fine dining but it simplifies the weeknight. The kids loved it and still do. I just don’t put anything remotely spicy in it then load up my own plate with cayenne on the back end. Lots of recipes in that vein out there.

I just made this chickpea dish this week. Better tasting as lunch today three days later.
https://www.theironyou.com/2016/03/vegan-easy-chickpea-tikka-masala.html?m=1

Taco week is huge, that’s cooking meat and beans one night to last like 5 days worth. Big ROI there. It’s a nice crutch for a busy week.

Other reheat favorites are meatloaf (again high ROI, 10 mins of prep effort = 2 days of dinner) homemade pasta sauce (just boil the pasta when you get home), or Thai style coconut curry (less ROI there as it’s more involved to cook and doesn’t reheat as well but my kids would crawl through lava for it).

If it were up to me I’d use the grill more and just marinate everything in advance and just add grill heat. But my kids haven’t quite gotten to grilled meat appreciation yet, even burgers are a struggle.

Oh yeah another idea on reheating chicken is I get one of the rotisserie chickens and pick it into 2 batches, white and dark meat so whenever a recipe calls for like a lb of chicken I use one of the batches. Whatever they pump through those or bathe them in seems to knock down the reheat flavor a bit.

We eat tacos a lot.

Pretty much the only thing that the entire family (2 adults & 3 kids) can eat without modification for picky individuals.

I can also grill burgers and dogs... My wife, my 6yo, and I eat burgers and the two younger kids eat dogs. Add fries/tots and broccoli and we good. But that’s a one-nighter.

In the winter, we can do both chili and chicken enchilada soup. Those are family favorites that are easy to make and give you a few nights.

We're also in the throes of daycare/dinner/bath/bed.. with some big kid evening activities thrown in the mix, too, which means husband and I have to tag out and keep cooking the meal/watching toddler while the other goes to collect a child.
We eat a lot of rice-based things, and invested in a nice zorijushi (?) rice maker. It's been 100% worth it, because rice will keep in it nice and fluffy for 2 days (probably longer, that's as long as we've tested it).
Things we eat frequently, using rice as a base:
-Curry. We don't get fancy at all - just ginger, garlic, potatoes, carrots, broccoli, chick peas softened in the skillet... add a can of coconut milk and curry paste to taste. It's 30min maybe, then serve over rice. If someone has the time/effort, pan cooking some tofu to add in is good, too.
-Burritos. (the hardest/longest thing here is assembly bc we get "fancy" with cilantro, quick-pickled onions, lime, avocado, etc.) We don't usually have meat in them, usually it's black beans and seasoned sweet potatoes or tofu leftover from something else.
-Lentils. We get the box of Madras Lentils from Costco; the ingredient list isn't bad, they're low in sodium, and microwaving a couple pouches to just dump over rice, served with some steamed broccoli is a nice 10min meal.

Not rice-based, but easy and keeps well: chili. I will make a BIG batch on a Sunday (because it's lots of chopping and simmering for flavor), and it's good for at least that night and however many other nights you want to eat it (or you can freeze the rest and just need to remember to thaw it ahead of using it. On the leftover nights there, the only 'cook time' item is how long cornbread muffins take in the oven.

If you specifically want sheet pan things: Smitten Kitchen and The Modern Proper have a lot of good sheet pan and skillet-based 'one pan' or 'one skillet' meals.

Also, as mentioned above, get a roaster chicken from the store and that's good for, like, 3 meals. Two meals of meat (chicken and veggies, leftover shredded chicken in burritos) and then the carcass makes great broth.

...and when all else fails, thank goodness for Trader Joes frozen stuff.

Tiny Baby turned one this week, and she's no longer my Tiny Baby. It's amazing how quickly that went by... and also it feels like a decade, at least.

especially this year, holy moly time flies. ITCBaby2 turns 10 months at the end of the month.

just started crying it out with her on Sunday after a nightmare two weeks and she went from sleeping terribly to sleeping through the night, basically over night. fucking bananas

ours turned 10 months last Saturday. he hasn't had any sleep issues yet, but I know they're coming. dude is so big -- 99th for height, 83 for weight. most 12 month stuff doesn't fit him.

had to take her to an allergist this morning after a mystery rash that could be tree nut or amoxicillin based. she was a tough bitch for all the pricks until the 6 needle penicillin part

especially this year, holy moly time flies. ITCBaby2 turns 10 months at the end of the month.

just started crying it out with her on Sunday after a nightmare two weeks and she went from sleeping terribly to sleeping through the night, basically over night. fucking bananas

Congrats on sleeping through the night!

We've been really, really fortunate that little lady is basically a unicorn... she eats well, she sleeps well, she wakes up happy, we can put her in her crib when she's kind of drowsy/rubbing her eyes and she'll happily go down on her own (maybe we have to go in once or twice to get the paci or her lovey that she's tossed out of the crib, but as soon as she has it back she's good to go).
This week she's had a cold and has been a bit fussier, but it's only resulted in one midnight wakeup (and I think that had more to do with teething pain).

Back