• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

Doc would be okay if it wasn't for everyone constantly treating her like she's some sort of real doctor, with all the adults playing along with it and everything. It's okay to humor your kids, but she's got her whole life in that identity.

She's got her own small business. I like it.

Curious George. And also I found that Netflix has the old Incredible Hulk series with Bill Bixbie from when I was a kid, so our oldest watches that too. It means that he will now randomly rip his shirt off in public places and pretend to transform into the Hulk, which I find pretty funny but my wife hates. As a side note, in one of the first episodes David Banner was working in a boxing gym, and one of the boxers was the dad from Friday. He was in his late 20s or early 30s and in really good shape, but all I could think about was him saying "don't nobody go in the bathroom for about 35, 45 minutes."

My girl friggin loves Inspector Gadget on YouTube.

I will second octonauts, my boys love that show and learn all kinds of cool ocean facts. At a recent 4 old bday party, I met an oceanographer with a four year old who had never heard of octonauts. Thought that was funny.

It's hard to believe that many of those animals actually exist.

Read up on the immortal jellyfish.

Mind blowing. My jaw dropped the entire episode.

Careful with the Bubble Guppies. You'll find yourself walking around at work humming the songs.
My kids got away from the Octonauts and I kind of miss it.
TV for a 6-year- old is a black hole. Everything seems either too young or too old. Ideas?

This makes me feel like I can share this. Sometimes when I stumble upon a popular sports news site I sing to myself, "Bleacher Report! Bleacher Report! Bleacher Report!" Please tell me I'm not the only one.

All the BBC Octonauts episodes are on YouTube. The only difference is most characters have British accents. Here is Octonauts and the Immortal Jellyfish:

Ph, I too sing bleacher report, bleacher report! Guess that makes us octonauts brothers (instead of Eskimo brothers).

Careful with the Bubble Guppies. You'll find yourself walking around at work humming the songs.
TV for a 6-year- old is a black hole. Everything seems either too young or too old. Ideas?

My 5-year old watches Fetch with Ruff Ruffman. It's a game show for kids that are like 8-12 years old. It's on PBS. He also likes Brainpop Jr on the Kindle. Looks like it's a free app. It's basically lectures on math, science, history, civics, etc.

I dread the day he's interested in which the dreck on the Disney Channel or Disney XD.

We've filled up the DVR with episodes of Brady Bunch and Little House on the Prairie. We have read the Little House series to her over the last year, so she seems to like it and it's pretty wholesome. She had gotten into watching those adolescent sitcoms on Disney Channel, but she wasn't mature enough to handle them and we figured it must be the shows that was encouraging her being really mouthy. It's funny, we have really struggled with the "what can she watch" question for the same reason.

Also, my wife is a teacher and she didn't fully appreciate my singing of "Teacher Report! Teacher Report!" when she would talk about school or her class.

Is Phineas and Ferb too young? It's pretty fun and clever. Adventure time too old? Star Wars/Batman animated stuff? Otherwise, I have no idea.

The current Batman show is too mature. It's on Adult Swim now. The Star Wars Lego stuff is decent but it spoils the hell out of the movies. I haven't shown him those yet.

My 5-year old watches Fetch with Ruff Ruffman. It's a game show for kids that are like 8-12 years old. It's on PBS. He also likes Brainpop Jr on the Kindle. Looks like it's a free app. It's basically lectures on math, science, history, civics, etc.

I dread the day he's interested in which the dreck on the Disney Channel or Disney XD.

Yeah my guy likes game shows, like Family Game Night. I mean I was a Price is Right fiend when I was his age.
I just downloaded Brainpop Jr for iPhone- we'll see if it sticks. We have a long car trip next week so there will be opportunity.

Game show is simplistic. It's a season long competition. Kids go on trips and learn different things and answer questions for points.

One recent one I saw some kids went to Disney's Animal Kingdom and learned about taking care of the animals. Another kid learned magic in Vegas from Penn and Teller and had to perform a street magic show to earn points.

There is no fucking way a child could be more whiney and annoying and bitchy and obsessed with mommy than my 2 year old is right now. Anyone want to trade?

Haha. Parents think "terrible twos" are a joke until they go through them.

It is amazing. He was a good baby. I don't know what happened. It's like living with a crazy person.

while we wait for the boy to be born, we have a 6 year old boy and an almost 8 year old girl. They love all things Star Wars but have never actually seen Star Wars. My (soon to be) wife never felt they were old enough. Now they are, but all we have is a VHS set of the original 3 and no VCR. Today we're going to goodwill to find a VCR and watch it this weekend. Popcorn and Star Wars on tape Saturday Night!!

Back