• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

I think this may have been talked about before but what rockers/recliners/gliders do you guys like? My back is killing me from sitting on the couch all day/sleeping on it.

Related to that, this kid cries and acts hungry any time he's put down and sometimes even if anyone but me is holding him so he basically sleeps on me all day and night. Wtf do you do about that? Everything I've read said not to ignore feeding cues but just about everything he does is a feeding cue.

Mama sleepy!

On the chair question we love our Benji Best Chair. Worked great for me for nursing for the firs year and we still use it for bottles and reading.

Unfortunately no good advice on the other part. I was lucky that the Bug was super laid back about eating. Like she never told us she was hungry...so we just made up a schedule for feeding her.

I think my question was more about how I can get him to sleep somewhere other than my chest? Is that a normal thing in the beginning? He just freaks out when put down- swaddled or not.

Hmm. Have you read Happiest Baby on the Block? I think that method works for a lot of people. The 5 S's: swaddle, side/stomach, shushing sounds, swinging, and sucking.

My second child used to sleep on my chest all the time and would immediately cry if you put him down. Turns out he had reflux and once he was on some meds, everything changed for the better and I was able to sleep without a sack of potatoes on my chest all the time.

Probably still a little young but if at all possible get that squirrel napping in da crib. Even for short bursts. Chest sleeping is amazing but being able to nap in the crib will pay off big time. Such a huge difference between Birdie and Rambo.

Sorry if that sounded preachy as I'm sure you are getting plenty of preaching but it's the biggest thing I wish we would have emphasized the first go around.

I haven't had a chance to read Happiest Baby yet but I definitely need to!

I'll have to ask about reflux. I guess it could be something digestive because he's not yet voiding as much as he should be.

I definitely agree that getting some crib sleeping in there will be important- just working on "anything but moms chest" sleeping right now.

He'll be one week tomorrow.

(Can you multiquote on tapatalk?)

We definitely got a bad start in the hospital. He's too wiggly for swaddling with the hospital blankets so he was fussy in the bassinet the first night and after 20whatever hours of labor I was tired and just held him all night so he slept. Whoopsy.

If you have access to it, I actually recommend the Happiest Baby DVD over the book. The book has some interesting info on his methods, but it still takes a while to read. The DVD isn't too long, and gives you visual instructions for the calming methods.

We definitely got a bad start in the hospital. He's too wiggly for swaddling with the hospital blankets so he was fussy in the bassinet the first night and after 20whatever hours of labor I was tired and just held him all night so he slept. Whoopsy.

Mrs. Kitchindeac did the same thing with our youngest (3rd). Try transitioning to a swing/bouncy seat/or sleep position that has a vibrate setting or a heartbeat simulator. The baby is used to sleeping with your movement and heartbeat around. In any event, this too shall pass.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys!

It's a new adventure every day, but awar is taking it in stride and mothering like a boss.

I haven't had a chance to read Happiest Baby yet but I definitely need to!

I'll have to ask about reflux. I guess it could be something digestive because he's not yet voiding as much as he should be.

I definitely agree that getting some crib sleeping in there will be important- just working on "anything but moms chest" sleeping right now.

He'll be one week tomorrow.

(Can you multiquote on tapatalk?)

I know Happiest Baby on The Block is also available on Amazon Instant Video. Had it recommended by a bunch of people but haven't had a chance to check it out yet.

Thanks guys- he's in a rock n play right now so I'm hoping that lasts! I like the louder white noise suggestions especially because I think they sound like clever ploys for post partum ladies to get their husbands to vacuum and dry their hair for them.

Our first would only sleep if we put him in his car seat in the bathroom with the fan on. Lasted 2-3 months.

Back