• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

H
while we wait for the boy to be born, we have a 6 year old boy and an almost 8 year old girl. They love all things Star Wars but have never actually seen Star Wars. My (soon to be) wife never felt they were old enough. Now they are, but all we have is a VHS set of the original 3 and no VCR. Today we're going to goodwill to find a VCR and watch it this weekend. Popcorn and Star Wars on tape Saturday Night!!

The VHS copies of the Star Wars Original Trilogy are actually better than the DVD versions when Lucas fiddled with them under the guise of "special editions."

Is Phinneas and Ferb still on? We used to watch that a lot and it was entertaining for adults and kids.

Careful with the Bubble Guppies. You'll find yourself walking around at work humming the songs.
My kids got away from the Octonauts and I kind of miss it.
TV for a 6-year- old is a black hole. Everything seems either too young or too old. Ideas?

old reading rainbows or mr. rogers?

and for others - PBS shows like Carmen SanDiego, Ghostwriters, Wishbone... they're good for more the 8-10 demo.

Last edited:
I wanted to name a girl Eleanor or Amelia. Wife shot both of those down... and we had a boy.

Spencer would have been Amelia if he was a girl. Elliott would have been Adelaide.

Watched Star Wars Sat night, Empire Strikes Back last night.

Bought a VCR at goodwill for $1.50. Didn't even think to look at the connectors, and got home and all it had was the three RCA outs (not even an RG-59 coax) and the two living room TVs we have only accept HDMI or the 5 RCA component cables. Luckily the TV in our bedroom had the right inputs so the whole fam got in the bed for a Star Wars slumber party. good times

Sounds like fun. Empire was the best of the Original Trilogy, but there's still tonight to watch Jedi!

My 5 year old has to dress like a Harry Potter character for summer camp tomorrow. He has no idea what Harry Potter is. We don't have any black robes in the house or scarfs or anything like that. I looked up cheap costume ideas and they weren't cheap or practical enough.

Any ideas?

Spencer would have been Amelia if he was a girl. Elliott would have been Adelaide.

Webb would have been Eleanor Elizabeth had he been a girl.

We cam very close to naming the middle on Graeme.

My 5 year old has to dress like a Harry Potter character for summer camp tomorrow. He has no idea what Harry Potter is. We don't have any black robes in the house or scarfs or anything like that. I looked up cheap costume ideas and they weren't cheap or practical enough.

Any ideas?

big black t-shirt as a robe, and a lightning bolt scar drawn on his forehead? Pop the lenses out of dollar store sunglasses? Or you can just be like "he's a muggle."

Any ideas?

White Sheet, cut holes for the eyes and mouth (basic ghost costume), write Peeves on the front (Peeves was the ghost that played pranks on everyone).

Let your kid dress themselves (preferably in a ridiculous looking outfit) and tell him he is a wizard pretending to be a muggle. (Most wizards in the books don't know what muggle's dress like so they often fail horribly when trying to blend in). If he needs a specific character Arthur Weasley does this all the time.

If you have a girl get a piece of poster board and make it look like a toilet seat (Moaning Myrtle, the ghost who haunts the girls bathroom)

If you have a cat costume (or feel like you could make one easily) Mrs. Norris, Minerva McGonagall (Hogwarts Professor who can turn into a cat) Crookshanks (Hermione's Cat) are options.

If you have a dog costume Sirius Black/Padfoot (Harry's Godfather who can turn into a dog) is a good one.

Really if you have any animal costumes their is probably a character from Harry Potter that fits (if you count a characters patronus (I'll explain this if I need to and am willing to match an animal costume with a character)).

I'm assuming he/she doesn't have to wear the costume all day

Last edited:
big black t-shirt as a robe, and a lightning bolt scar drawn on his forehead? Pop the lenses out of dollar store sunglasses? Or you can just be like "he's a muggle."

Yeah. This one is right up my alley. I already picked out one of my shirts for him.

I don't know if RC was serious with that white sheet and holes cut out.

Yeah. This one is right up my alley. I already picked out one of my shirts for him.

I don't know if RC was serious with that white sheet and holes cut out.

Oh absolutely, Peeves was the shit. Plus it would give your kid semi-free reign to do whatever he/she wanted for a day (just staying in character).

Black t-shirt and scar is definitely the way to go if you are throwing something together in 5 minutes and is still a solid costume. Just wanted to make sure you had plenty of options in case your kid wanted something a little different.

I mean I was clearly suggesting a ghost costume.

My apologies that my first thoughts on a parenting thread responding to a Harry Potter question weren't of the KKK or that Ph is black.

I was thinking more this:
_original

Not this:
0.jpg

Apologies for any confusion.

Last edited:
Back