• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit Parenting Thread

RIP those kids' life prospects.

They'll be fine, given all the other kooky names that are so prevalent now.

Kai's not that weird, but I also know a Kai... and Dax isn't taht weird, either - not that far off from Dex(ter).

Kai is fairly common these days.

But we'll always remember the dude in plamas video.

Tell her August makes you think of Augustus Gloop from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and you don't want that. VETO.

They'll be fine, given all the other kooky names that are so prevalent now.

Kai's not that weird, but I also know a Kai... and Dax isn't taht weird, either - not that far off from Dex(ter).

It's not the name itself, but that the parents thought Kai AND Dax were not only solid name choices that the kids definitely would not regret later on in life, but that probably reflect some sort of belief system that they hold dearly and will impose upon their kids. Those parents are going to fuck up those kids worse than all other parents normally do.

The Dax thing might be more of a connotative thing to me, though. There's Dax Shepard, of course. But I know one kid named Dax in my son's preschool and he is a goddamn mess and I'm 95% sure his mom is a skank. She was sunbathing during the preschool graduation (don't get me started) celebration and talking on her phone the entire time while little Dax had snot streaming down his face and was eating twinkies.

Turned in my balls along with my "please fire/demote me at the next legally available opportunity" note.

This is for real a lot of places. Just because you have the benefit doesn't mean you should use it. My boy at RJR didn't dare take his "paternity leave"

knowing HTTD's profession and place of employment, I don't think this will be an issue for him like it would for folks in a more corporate environment.

This is for real a lot of places. Just because you have the benefit doesn't mean you should use it. My boy at RJR didn't dare take his "paternity leave"
I took three days when each of them was born and a couple other rando days when wife was at her wit's end. My boss was mad old school and used to brag about being at work for the afternoon when his son born in the morning.

The best friend I have ever had and my freshman year roomate at MSD has the name August. He went by Gus, aka Goose, aka grandma. Not a bad choice, but do not call he August, bc all his friends will just call him July.

Last edited:
So my younger daughter (8 and half) got asked to go to Chicago for four nights and five days with another family. She has never been away for that long. Yes or no? On one hand, why rob her of a memory. On the other, that is a long time for a little person. What say you quad?

If it's a good family that you trust, sure. Sounds like a great experience for her.

Just think of it as an overnight camp, but in a baller city.

Also, most families would overprotect their kids from something like this these days, even much later in their life. That would make it even more rewarding for her personal development IMO.

So my younger daughter (8 and half) got asked to go to Chicago for four nights and five days with another family. She has never been away for that long. Yes or no? On one hand, why rob her of a memory. On the other, that is a long time for a little person. What say you quad?

Mine would definitely go.

Depends on the last name. My HS wrestling coach was named August and he was awesome.

The tourist areas in Chicago are some of the most sanitized in America.

Back