• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit's First Pet Peeve Thread

probably b/c lamb is overrated

Disagree, also Duck is far better than chicken.

Lamb is not restricted by any religions, unlike beef and pork. In a multicultural country like the US, lamb should be more prevalent. And if you want to argue that the US is made up of WASPS, lamb and mutton are a main component of British food. Lambs also do not need as much space as cattle, so more small farmers would be able to produce it.

Also with the US hunting culture, you would think duck and venison would be more popular food items. But for some reason Americans seem to be focused on the big 3.

Lamb is not restricted by any religions, unlike beef and pork. In a multicultural country like the US, lamb should be more prevalent. And if you want to argue that the US is made up of WASPS, lamb and mutton are a main component of British food. Lambs also do not need as much space as cattle, so more small farmers would be able to produce it.

Also with the US hunting culture, you would think duck and venison would be more popular food items. But for some reason Americans seem to be focused on the big 3.

But sheep ranchers go gay on the mountain while tending their flocks, so manly Americans says "no thanks."

isn't goat the most consumed meat in the world? I love lamb and duck, and will pretty much always order lamb or non-breast duck. the reason for not ordering breast is I feel like I'm usually disappointed by it in restaurants when it's so easy to cook at home and makes for an easy high-end meal. I usually make it when cooking for my wife's bday or our anniversary since she loves it so much. still need to make duck confit, though.

I had some terrible duck at The Garden and Gun Club in The Battery outside of Truist Park. Massively overcooked and dry.

I don’t know that I’ve ever had goat (other than cheese) but would definitely like to try it. I love lamb, duck, and venison.

My mom doesn’t eat cute animals. One Christmas Eve I ordered rabbit, venison, and duck as various courses from a Prix Fixe menu. My brother looked at me and said “Really?! You’re going to do that to mom on Christmas Eve?”

I had some terrible duck at The Garden and Gun Club in The Battery outside of Truist Park. Massively overcooked and dry.

I don’t know that I’ve ever had goat (other than cheese) but would definitely like to try it. I love lamb, duck, and venison.

My mom doesn’t eat cute animals. One Christmas Eve I ordered rabbit, venison, and duck as various courses from a Prix Fixe menu. My brother looked at me and said “Really?! You’re going to do that to mom on Christmas Eve?”

yeah I feel like duck breast is often overcooked, or too rare and the skin isn't crispy. It's stupid easy to cook. Score the skin, season all over. I use this technique (you don't need the olive oil as plenty of fat will render out) and usually make a blackberry mustard sauce. While the duck is resting I fry potatoes in the fat that rendered out.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/pan-roasted-duck-breast-3645911

Duck and venison are super popular in rural areas. In US hunting culture, you kill the deer and fill your family freezer, not sell the meat to Harris Teeter.

Deer isn't really all that good though. Every time I've had deer it's had bacon in the recipe to give it some fat, juice and flavor.

What we really need is more rib eye in the sky, forget ducks and deer.

People say the same thing about Bison, but I find Bison delicious. I blame it all on the big farm lobby, squeezing out small ranchers.

I don't think I've ever had any cut of venison other than tenderloin. What's a venison ribeye or short rib like?

yeah I enjoyed the big game while eating at yellowstone, was better than I expected.

Back