• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Pit's First Pet Peeve Thread

I figured he meant the $1500 4 bike carriers that folks still leave on their hitch when commuting to the office.
people just driving their ass around on normal every day errands with a big thule roof box is so fucking stupid.

I figured he meant the $1500 4 bike carriers that folks still leave on their hitch when commuting to the office.
Ok do you not have one of these? If I bike on the weekends w/ the fam I'm not taking this off twice a week, they're heavy af and usually I have a hitch lock on as well to prevent theft of it. The nice ones fold up out of the way pretty well.

people just driving their ass around on normal every day errands with a big thule roof box is so fucking stupid.
😂 it's not our daily driver but I usually just leave the roof box on our bigger "travel" car because removing it is also kind of a pain and then I have to find somewhere sensible to store it in the house.

Getting that stuff off my car and stowed away is the post vacation equivalent of throwing on sweatpants and cracking a beer after work.
Yeah, but in a place with lots of recreational biking in driving distance, a bike rack on a car is not just for vacations. Constantly taking off and putting back on an 80lb hitch bike rack kind of defeats the purpose of getting a hitch bike rack.

I have a single bike roof carrier. Occasionally I’ll leave it on there past the weekend because it is a pain to get up there to remove but I prefer to take it off. Less wear and tear/dirt and rain getting into the parts and plastic components.

damn, "travel car"
Yeah, if you have 2 kids and 2 dogs one day you might understand. Smaller electric car is the one that gets driven the most around town for daily errands unless both of us have to be somewhere, bigger SUV for camping and long trips and stuff w/ the entire family, but I don't like using it around town because gas and size.

Yeah, if you have 2 kids and 2 dogs one day you might understand. Smaller electric car is the one that gets driven the most around town for daily errands unless both of us have to be somewhere, bigger SUV for camping and long trips and stuff w/ the entire family, but I don't like using it around town because gas and size.
i get it

i'm just trying on my kory persona

It’s always fun when a peeve behavior nails someone cold. No offense cookout, much of what you’re describing is totally logical for your situation though. My peeve is for the more performative appearing situations in the middle of a city. Also I can’t get in my garage with a roof box so it’s gotta go asap when we get home.

I will say, the full overland-kit wankers peeve me a little bit, especially on cars you know never actually see any actual trails or off-roading. You know the type, rooftop tent, maxtrax displayed very visibly, overly large skid plates + front bumper protectors, etc.

I think I'm just used to the bike racks because 1 in 3 cars in AVL has a hitch bike rack on their car and left on year round.

The thing about keeping the massive hitch bike rack on all the time that always got to me is that I've always parked at least one car on the street and those things take up a lot of parking space. People are also less aware of how much bigger their car is when trying to parallel park with those things on and will hit cars behind them. But I get that they are a pain to take off all the time and/or store.

The thing about keeping the massive hitch bike rack on all the time that always got to me is that I've always parked at least one car on the street and those things take up a lot of parking space. People are also less aware of how much bigger their car is when trying to parallel park with those things on and will hit cars behind them. But I get that they are a pain to take off all the time and/or store.
Yeah, in a bigger city environment it's a much different thing, can understand the frustrations there for sure.

Also if you have a 4 bike rack hitch mount that isn't folded up anytime it doesn't have bikes on it, that's a problem too. That probably speaks more to "under-engineered" bike racks though if you can't afford one that does that.

gentlemen, your board donations at work! TRAVEL CAR.

Back