• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Presidential Debate

No, what the fuck were you talking about? I made the comment that some people thought hoping to get an inheritance was a retirement plan. Then, in the very next post, you said that "Luckily, Wake Forest students don't have to hope. 99% of their financial needs are met by Wake Forest."

I was talking about retirement plans. That's the post you responded to. I listed both posts in my reply so you could see them together.

Also, you continue to be clueless about my business, my products & my clients. Since I mentioned that a few of my clients had called me with an additional $795K to add to their investments, I had two more to call Wednesday with another $40K. And I emphasize that they called me. I didn't solicit any of that business. Furthermore, there is no sales charge on those investments. All $835K of that money went into their accounts. Every single penny of it. These clients have been dealing with me for more close to 20 years. Do you think that if I had been "taking advantage" of them they would still be calling me with additional investments?

Oh ok - I should have realized you were just going on a crazy tangent that had nothing to do with paying for college. My mistake.

At least you're distancing yourself from your involvement in pushing those fee heavy American funds. I still don't understand how any adviser who really cared about their clients would intentionally put them 5% in the hole to start. But I'm sure the commission helped sooth your conscious.

Let's say the cost at WF is $49,000. The cost for an in-state student at UNC is $9,000. If you get a scholarship at WF, how would that lower my cost of going there? You're just assuming the cost would be lowered by getting a scholarship.....but that is hypothetical. The certainty is that the cost at WF is $49,000 and the cost at UNC is $9,000. As I said, some people think that hoping to get an inheritance is a retirement plan. That's like hoping to get a scholarship to lower the cost at WF. Maybe you will, maybe you won't.....but that doesn't change the fact that for students living in North Carolina, going to Wake Forest costs $40,000 more per year than going to UNC.

You are trying to equalize the cost differences by assuming a person is getting a scholarship.

Wake Forest meets 99% of a student's need. So grants and scholarships are not hypothetical.

Wake Forest meets 99% of a student's need. So grants and scholarships are not hypothetical.

If Wake Forest meets 99% of a student's need, that means that the student is only paying 1% of the cost. That is a ridiculous thing to say.

I'm assuming what you meant was that WF finds a way for the student to pay for 99% of the cost thru scholarships, loans & money that they may already be able to pay. In this case, you have a legitimate case in factoring out scholarships from the cost. I don't know what percentage of that total $49K for all WF students is covered by scholarships, but if you could get those numbers I think it would be fair to subtract that from the $49K/year cost to get an overall average out-of-pocket cost for WF students. Then you could do the same thing in-state UNC students and you would have an apples-to-apples comparison of the cost. I don't doubt that WF has more scholarship money available per student than does UNC.

So, you would have $49K - average scholarship/student for WF and $9K - average scholarship/student at UNC. At that point we could have a basis to compare costs.

On the other hand, loan money available...at either school....should not be factored into this, because that doesn't lower your cost of going to the school. As a matter of fact, it greatly increases the cost with interest charges.

(Also, so you won't feel as badly toward me about those American Funds charges, if I had to break down the dollar volume of my total sales in my 22-year career in this business, it would look something like this: Life Insurance products - 5%, American Funds - 5%, Fixed-Rate Annuities - 90%. And there is no sales charge on any of those annuities. These were not variable annuities, which do have substantial sales charges...which is why I never liked them & have never sold one in my life.)

If Wake Forest meets 99% of a student's need, that means that the student is only paying 1% of the cost. That is a ridiculous thing to say.

I'm assuming what you meant was that WF finds a way for the student to pay for 99% of the cost thru scholarships, loans & money that they may already be able to pay. In this case, you have a legitimate case in factoring out scholarships from the cost. I don't know what percentage of that total $49K for all WF students is covered by scholarships, but if you could get those numbers I think it would be fair to subtract that from the $49K/year cost to get an overall average out-of-pocket cost for WF students. Then you could do the same thing in-state UNC students and you would have an apples-to-apples comparison of the cost. I don't doubt that WF has more scholarship money available per student than does UNC.

So, you would have $49K - average scholarship/student for WF and $9K - average scholarship/student at UNC. At that point we could have a basis to compare costs.

On the other hand, loan money available...at either school....should not be factored into this, because that doesn't lower your cost of going to the school. As a matter of fact, it greatly increases the cost with interest charges.

(Also, so you won't feel as badly toward me about those American Funds charges, if I had to break down the dollar volume of my total sales in my 22-year career in this business, it would look something like this: Life Insurance products - 5%, American Funds - 5%, Fixed-Rate Annuities - 90%. And there is no sales charge on any of those annuities. These were not variable annuities, which do have substantial sales charges...which is why I never liked them & have never sold one in my life.)

And that's what I provided many posts ago. Up front, out of pocket costs for those 4 years are going to be the roughly same, as Wake meets 99% of the need, and UNC meets 100%. (Ability to pay, and conversely, need are calculated by the federal government). Therefore, what's left is student loan debt. On average, that debt is $16k larger for a Wake student. So their overall costs (what they pay out of pocket + loans) is approximately $4000 more per year.

What we haven't even mentioned is ROI. Wake's 20 year ROI is hundreds of thousands of dollars higher than UNC's, even when ignoring financial aid and assuming that a student pays full price. http://www.payscale.com/college-education-value-2013

Last edited:
Nobody's brought up the debate commission admitting Trump's mic wasn't working in-room correctly?

Not that it matters since the audience was asked not to make noise and the TV broadcast was fine.

Turns out they gave Trump a fucked up mic- either that or the audio person deliberately sabotaged him. Debate Commission has issued a statement saying there was a problem with Trump's audio.

And that's what I provided many posts ago. Up front, out of pocket costs for those 4 years are going to be the roughly same, as Wake meets 99% of the need, and UNC meets 100%. (Ability to pay, and conversely, need are calculated by the federal government). Therefore, what's left is student loan debt. On average, that debt is $16k larger for a Wake student. So their overall costs (what they pay out of pocket + loans) is approximately $4000 more per year.

What we haven't even mentioned is ROI. Wake's 20 year ROI is hundreds of thousands of dollars higher than UNC's, even when ignoring financial aid and assuming that a student pays full price. http://www.payscale.com/college-education-value-2013

I don't believe that for a minute. There is no doubt that extra scholarship aid at WF can close some of that $49K to $9K gap....but there is no way that there is enough of that to make out-of-pocket costs "roughly the same" at WF as they are for in-state sturdents at UNC.

And comparing student debt is still a totally useless statistic in this discussion. If the average wealth of WF students is higher than that of UNC students....which it almost certainly is....that would have the affect of lowering the amount of student debt at WF, but it would have nothing to do with lowering the out-of-pocket costs at WF.

And I still have no idea what you are talking about when you say "meeting 99% or 100% of the need". "Meet the need"...what the hell does that mean? The key comparison is net out-of-pocket costs at the two schools.

No, what the fuck were you talking about? I made the comment that some people thought hoping to get an inheritance was a retirement plan. Then, in the very next post, you said that "Luckily, Wake Forest students don't have to hope. 99% of their financial needs are met by Wake Forest."

I was talking about retirement plans. That's the post you responded to. I listed both posts in my reply so you could see them together.

Also, you continue to be clueless about my business, my products & my clients. Since I mentioned that a few of my clients had called me with an additional $795K to add to their investments, I had two more to call Wednesday with another $40K. And I emphasize that they called me. I didn't solicit any of that business. Furthermore, there is no sales charge on those investments. All $835K of that money went into their accounts. Every single penny of it. These clients have been dealing with me for close to 20 years. Do you think that if I had been "taking advantage" of them they would still be calling me with additional investments?

Nobody cares about your clients' money, hack. Its fucking tacky and classless to talk about amounts and shit to try to impress. sheesh

I don't believe that for a minute. There is no doubt that extra scholarship aid at WF can close some of that $49K to $9K gap....but there is no way that there is enough of that to make out-of-pocket costs "roughly the same" at WF as they are for in-state sturdents at UNC.

And comparing student debt is still a totally useless statistic in this discussion. If the average wealth of WF students is higher than that of UNC students....which it almost certainly is....that would have the affect of lowering the amount of student debt at WF, but it would have nothing to do with lowering the out-of-pocket costs at WF.

And I still have no idea what you are talking about when you say "meeting 99% or 100% of the need". "Meet the need"...what the hell does that mean? The key comparison is net out-of-pocket costs at the two schools.

It might help if you read up on FAFSA and Expected Family Contribution. These are basics that you need to know if you're going to intelligently discuss education costs and student loans.

Nobody cares about your clients' money, hack. Its fucking tacky and classless to talk about amounts and shit to try to impress. sheesh

There's no valid reason for you to act so hateful. Quit it. Even still, I have love in my heart for you because that's what our soon to be President Trump would want. :heart: :hug:

It might help if you read up on FAFSA and Expected Family Contribution. These are basics that you need to know if you're going to intelligently discuss education costs and student loans.

Well, if you have read that stuff why can't answer my question in an understandable way? When you say WF "meets 99% of the need, what does that mean? If the cost is $49,000/year how much of that is the average WF student paying out of his own pocket? That is all I am asking? What's the difference between "meeting the need" and "paying part of the cost thru scholarships, etc.?

Please don't tell me that WF helping students get loans equals "meeting the need". I understand scholarships, but making it possible for students to get loans isn't "meeting the need"....or lowering the cost in any way.

Last edited:

People called Bernie Madoff too.

Back