• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Price is Wrong

He seemed not to want to lead the team last year. I think Grobe stuck way to long with him. If he would have pulled him at may have motivated him.

He's fine, certainly as far as WF QBs go. Not his fault he plays for a program that is not fully committed to winning.

This. Tanner has not been as good as his hype coming in was, but he has had no support on the field or on the sidelines. What's really funny is the talk about moving to an option-style offense this season. I guess the coaches like to see Tanner get pummeled because that is what will happen. I've not been terribly impressed with him thus far and he will be even less effective running the option. Our coaching staff reminds me of a bad JV staff.

Tanner was running for his life last season. He might as well be running designed plays. Actually I was surprised at his foot speed. Not exactly Michael Vick but he should be OK...if he has some blocking.

I keep thinking about that game against State where he pitched it backwards out of bounds to nobody instead of falling forward for a 1st down.

Bad concussion year 1 vs. FSU.

So he avoids contact - not sure how we are going to run the read option or whatever we are installing this year?

No other option.

He is a very accurate passer.

O line completely sucks.

Welcome to the Hater's Wagon! I've been leading this train for a solid year and a half.

Tanner is a whole lot of meh.

I don't have anything against Tanner. He's an ok QB. I had issue with people arguing he's better than Riley halfway though Tanner's freshman year.

He has had one year in which he had a decent supporting cast. In that season, he completed 60% of his passes at over 7 ypa and had 20 TDs and only 6 INTs. He still got sacked 34 times, which you can either blame on the o-line or Tanner.

I think price is a good, not great QB. Line and WR problems have been much more to blame than price.

If he had better players around him and better coaches, he probably would be approaching Skinner, but alas, I fear the same predicament for this, his last year.

When almost all your passes are within 5-7 yards of the LOS, you should complete at least 60% of your passes.

Skinner didn't improve over this four years either.

Tanner has more potential depth at WR than Skinner had. Moore/Boldin vs. Givens/Camp is a tossup.

Skinner was much better as a senior than a frosh.

I'll look up more when I get to a computer but his worst games I remember we're in his last two years.

Skinner didn't improve over this four years either.

Tanner has more potential depth at WR than Skinner had. Moore/Boldin vs. Givens/Camp is a tossup.

Key word there is potential... we haven't had any of our depth step up in the same ways that Morton, Idlette, and Marion did (when it mattered) in 2006. The number of dropped passes from WR's not named Camp in the past 2 years has been astounding. To be completely fair, that's probably due in part to the fact that Riley had a very soft pass compared to Tanner who just straight up GUNS it to his WR's.

Definitely. Who was our WR coach when our WRs stepped up?

Hmmm...

I thought Tanner had a terrible freshman year, but we just flat-out sucked and he was a true freshman, so that doesn't surprise me. Wish he'd gotten a year to RS.

His sophomore year was pretty good by any standard, but Givens was playing at the top of his game (except the bowl game) and Campanaro brought the heat that season. He did end the season with a string of a few bad games, but when we were on that winning streak he was pretty impressive IIRC. Would have won that Syracuse game if he had stayed in.

Last year he had more bad games than good, but he was also playing behind a terrible OL.. and no WR really stepped up as a viable threat alongside Camp. I was pretty pumped after he led the game-winning drive against Carolina in the 4th; that reminded me so much of Riley. Too bad we didn't see more of that as the season went on.

I'm hoping he has a great senior year, but I'm not hopeful. Still think he's our best option right now, and would hate to throw another QB who isn't ready into the fire. Our OC isn't great at designing plays around his strengths and weaknesses, but I think every QB at Wake during the Grobe regime has deal with that... so it's hardly an excuse.

Definitely. Who was our WR coach when our WRs stepped up?

Hmmm...

Preaching to the choir. The transformation those guys made in on season under Billings was flat-out amazing.

I'll look up more when I get to a computer but his worst games I remember we're in his last two years.

I remember it this way too. But I think our teams were getting progressively worse and asking skinner and the offense to do way more than they were capable of doing well. So you had some games where riley looked like an all american and times when he struggled.

Back