• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Price is Wrong

Welcome to the Hater's Wagon! I've been leading this train for a solid year and a half.

Tanner is a whole lot of meh.

I'll never get fans that hate on players that are by all accounts good guys who are doing their best (and doing it pretty well) and then brag about it. It's not like he's been caught stealing Ipads; and he's easily been our best option since his Freshman year.

I like Price. He's got a good arm and he seems to be pretty gritty.

I think he's gonna have a big year now that he has a decent O-line.

I like Price. He's got a good arm and he seems to be pretty gritty.

I think he's gonna have a big year now that he has a decent O-line.

What did I miss here? Did we receive four or five key transfers? How did we go from absolutely sucking to now we have a decent O-line and haven't played a game?

Anyone? Bueller. Anyone?

What did I miss here? Did we receive four or five key transfers? How did we go from absolutely sucking to now we have a decent O-line and haven't played a game?

Anyone? Bueller. Anyone?

Maybe I've listened to Lectro too much?

O line actually lost some starters from last year's group. Better hope Himey is on top of his game.

Skinner was 14th in passing efficiency and 17th in total passing as a senior.

33rd in pass efficiency and 80th in passing yardage as a frosh.

I'll never get fans that hate on players that are by all accounts good guys who are doing their best (and doing it pretty well) and then brag about it. It's not like he's been caught stealing Ipads; and he's easily been our best option since his Freshman year.

Hater may have been the wrong word. I'll go with doubter. Kid's simply not good enough.

His best moment was the drive against the 'holes. His worst was calling a timeout with 3 seconds left in the 3rd qtr against Maryland. Let the qtr end and then go to the sidelines. He's been good enough sometimes and not good enough others, but Carolina '12 is the onlty time that he has been the difference.

There are two things to address:

1. Is Price objectively good?
2. Should Price have been the starter?

I think the answer to number one is certainly a topic of debate and scrutiny. We can talk about it all day long and some people's opinions will not be changed. I think he's an okay option and I think he would be a lot more comfortable if he had an offensive line that wasn't terrible as it has been pretty much consistently over his three years.

The answer to the second question is almost definitely yes. There is nobody who has been on the bench who should have been starting over Tanner in the previous three years. He is far and away the best option and has been. This may be a sad realization for some, but he has clearly been the best option.

1) He's OK, he is not a difference maker like Skinner. If you can YOUTUBE his HS playoff game, I thought he had alot of Skinner in him. It just hasn't come out yet. 2) He was our best QB from the day he stepped on the campus. Skylar couldn't throw and everybody else was back-up material. Today, Sousa can't throw and everybody else is back-up material.

He has had one year in which he had a decent supporting cast. In that season, he completed 60% of his passes at over 7 ypa and had 20 TDs and only 6 INTs. He still got sacked 34 times, which you can either blame on the o-line or Tanner.

This. I still believe the only thing that Tanner lacks compared to Riley is pocket awareness. I believe Riley's awareness was out of this world. Riley had better OL's and a much better D in his time as well.

1) He's OK, he is not a difference maker like Skinner. If you can YOUTUBE his HS playoff game, I thought he had alot of Skinner in him. It just hasn't come out yet. 2) He was our best QB from the day he stepped on the campus. Skylar couldn't throw and everybody else was back-up material. Today, Sousa can't throw and everybody else is back-up material.

I watched some Youtube clips after reading this thread yesterday. His throwing motion is horrible. I didn't notice much of an improvement at Wake, although I admit I haven't been watching so closely last year or so. I guess I'm sort of over the entire athletic program at this point.

Anyway, I agree with others that Price is our best option by far. I don't understand why we are moving in a direction away from his strengths, though. Maybe we need to go back to more of a misdirection, option style. I think we should probably bring some players in to run that offense first though...

This. I still believe the only thing that Tanner lacks compared to Riley is pocket awareness. I believe Riley's awareness was out of this world. Riley had better OL's and a much better D in his time as well.

I disagree that this is the only thing separating the two; however, given what a qb has to work with at Wake, Tanner's lack of pocket awareness (poise, elusiveness, whatever...) is a HUGE deficiency.

Hater may have been the wrong word. I'll go with doubter. Kid's simply not good enough.

And you're wrong again. The kid is certainly good enough and anyone with any football acumen can tell that. What he has surrounding him and on the sidelines is not good enough.

And you're wrong again. The kid is certainly good enough and anyone with any football acumen can tell that. What he has surrounding him and on the sidelines is not good enough.

With the OB team I take Riley over Tanner every time. But I agree with you that Tanner could be very good with the right cast around him and the right play calling. He will not have that here.

Our D hasn't been able to give our O decent field position and our special teams have not been good recently. We you have thin and crappy OL and they are on the field every 2 minutes it doesn't help either.

Anybody who thinks Sousa would have been a better option than Price last year or this year certainly hasn't seen enough of Sousa. I haven't seen enough of Cameron to judge yet, but I hope he gets plenty of time this year especially in the opener and Sousa as well because we are going to need them this year. I would be surprised to see Thompson as #2.

Tanner doesn't have nearly the touch that Riley had. Also, his footwork is really bad and hasn't gotten any better. If he can't step into a throw with no pressure, chances are it either sails or skids about 5 yards short of the target.

And LOL at Riley not getting any better over 4 years.

Anybody who thinks Sousa would have been a better option than Price last year or this year certainly hasn't seen enough of Sousa. I haven't seen enough of Cameron to judge yet, but I hope he gets plenty of time this year especially in the opener and Sousa as well because we are going to need them this year. I would be surprised to see Thompson as #2.
The only nod I would give to Thompson is that after 4 years in the system, his decision making would be better that the others. If it isn't, Grobe should have made him an LB like he planned when he recruited him. Cameron might have the curse of the injury bug.

Back