• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

It shouldn't be controversial to say churches that don't pay taxes shouldn't get taxpayer support.

The church's employees pay taxes. Their landlords pay taxes. And utilities have fixed costs.

So give individuals relief, not institutions.

Fire up the time machine to 2020 so we can figure out the best way to quickly get money into the hands of people and do it right this time in pH's opinion. Don't you think employers would be the most likely to know exactly how much their workers were making in every paycheck and most likely to be able to administer those payments in a timely manner ?

These people are criminals and they will go to jail for abusing the system, just like a lot of other people.

Fire up the time machine to 2020 so we can figure out the best way to quickly get money into the hands of people and do it right this time in pH's opinion. Don't you think employers would be the most likely to know exactly how much their workers were making in every paycheck and most likely to be able to administer those payments in a timely manner ?

These people are criminals and they will go to jail for abusing the system, just like a lot of other people.
You don't need a time machine. We have several COVID threads and a search engine to show what I said about this.

I do have to take a second to laugh at the ideas that "employers" (as if everyone has one specific job for one specific employer) know each individual's finances better than the IRS and that employers make the workers their top priority when taking huge sums of government money.

I do have to take a second to laugh at the ideas that "employers" (as if everyone has one specific job for one specific employer) know each individual's finances better than the IRS and that employers make the workers their top priority when taking huge sums of government money.

I can’t believe I’m agreeing with biff but yes the employer (I.e. the one who writes the individual’s payroll checks) has better knowledge of an individual’s paychecks than the IRS which was zero knowledge of the individual’s paychecks.

The IRS does have prior year knowledge of all wages paid to the employee for the places they worked that prior year. You can probably guess where that info comes from though.

Why are you talking about paychecks instead of income?

Why are you talking about income instead of paychecks lol?

The IRS does have prior year knowledge of all wages paid to the employee for the places they worked that prior year. You can probably guess where that info comes from though.

Right. So was the goal to give some employers the option to pay some people or for people to maintain their standard of living during a pandemic?

The IRS already has a mechanism for handing out money and getting it back over time. PPP loans added a middle man and layers of bureaucracy.

Right. So was the goal to give some employers the option to pay some people or for people to maintain their standard of living during a pandemic?

The IRS already has a mechanism for handing out money and getting it back over time. PPP loans added a middle man and layers of bureaucracy.

Ehh I present example A - someone making minimum wage all through 2020, gets a big break in early 2021 and now has a house, car etc to support kids on that new salary.

IRS data would provide assistance based on 2020 income.

IRS might write a check too, mailed to address, prob most recent on file. The old one.

Check takes a while to get to old house based on old standard of living. Double fail.

time was of the essence moreso than pinpoint accuracy. It’s easy to captain hindsight it now. Not as if these were unknown issues and risks back then too.

These aren’t hindsight arguments. This is what I was arguing at the time. If someone got a big break in early 2021, less than a year after the start of the pandemic, they’d be in good shape.

Wage theft isn’t a new or unanticipated issue.

These aren’t hindsight arguments. This is what I was arguing at the time. If someone got a big break in early 2021, less than a year after the start of the pandemic, they’d be in good shape.

Wage theft isn’t a new or unanticipated issue.
Pretty sure he meant a big break in early 2020.

Yeah basically. Typing half assed from my phone. Point is if you’re trying to replace current standard of living income (like a paycheck), using someone’s prior year W2 or whatever to make some sort of pro-rata proxy seems like a bad a idea.

At least saying the quiet parts out loud may push people further away. Maybe.

Back