• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The RTQ Collective Thread

RollTheQuadNIL

Reaction score
Hopefully OGBoards is receptive to this.

I thought I would start a thread that is everything RTQ-related + would be a great place to answer posters' various questions - because a lot of this is so new and there is a lot that is unknown. Please know I can't go into much detail about specific student-athletes and their deals, but that I will do my absolute best to answer your questions and ideas.

The following is from the NCAA. Not everyone is following this from a legal standpoint, but can serve as a good starting point.

image.png

To the extent you feel comfortable answering this specific to RTQ and Wake, are schools and collectives allowed to work together/communicate about anything related to NIL payments? Obviously there is some form of guidance about where coaches would like NIL funds allocated so there must be SOME level of contact but I take it that there's a "line in the sand" so to speak about communication between certain parties?

To the extent you feel comfortable answering this specific to RTQ and Wake, are schools and collectives allowed to work together/communicate about anything related to NIL payments? Obviously there is some form of guidance about where coaches would like NIL funds allocated so there must be SOME level of contact but I take it that there's a "line in the sand" so to speak about communication between certain parties?
Schools (& Coaches) are not allowed to tell RTQ which student-athletes need to get paid, how much, or when. Those decisions are communicated to RTQ by the 8-member board of Roll The Quad.

Every NIL deal a student-athlete signs, WFU compliance recieves a copy - including those with RTQ - so the school and coaches do know all of that information.

Looking at the board, I'd think they have a pretty good insight on who the funds should be directed to.

Drum and Mit got bball. Couch has baseball. Both Mcrearys have football. Sutton should be generally in on it all. Flow can bring his pocketbook.

I'm not calling out anyone here by any stretch, but unless the 8 member board are scouts of every respective sports, how do they know which student-athletes to prioritize?

That's probably not a question that will be or should be answered publicly
Yeah I mean...it's pretty clear how they know lol

I don't think there is anything untoward going on as far as where the funds should be directed. Anyone on the boards here regularly could probably get it 80% right without much trouble. Probably a bit of a wink and nod from coaches on some players, but it is easy to tell whom the important players are.

Looking at the board, I'd think they have a pretty good insight on who the funds should be directed to.

Drum and Mit got bball. Couch has baseball. Both Mcrearys have football. Sutton should be generally in on it all. Flow can bring his pocketbook.
Sure. But their insights come from information they get as AD insiders. Seems like NIL collectives are basically the college sports equivalent of a PAC.

Sure. But their insights come from information they get as AD insiders. Seems like NIL collectives are basically the college sports equivalent of a PAC.
Our NIL gets its marching orders from @Rafi

Can't we just call the payments bribes? I feel like somebody else suggested it earlier and it seemed like a good idea.
Only if they go to pay someone like Bobi Klintman, who is DEFINITELY coming back.

It is important to note that RTQ is setup as a for-profit entity - not a 501c3 like some other collectives that have been trying to disguise themseleves a non-profit, where they're getting a tax write off to pay athletes to do charity work.

The IRS has recently came out and said that won't be allowed, so there will be some scaling back on the NIL front. Some collectives at other schools will have to start completely over and will be put in a very tough position "I was getting $___k last year and now I am getting less?" ... well because your collective was trying to operate as a non-profit.

Interesting. Does RTQ have any operating expenses? Is there any profit margin?

It is important to note that RTQ is setup as a for-profit entity - not a 501c3 like some other collectives that have been trying to disguise themseleves a non-profit, where they're getting a tax write off to pay athletes to do charity work.

The IRS has recently came out and said that won't be allowed, so there will be some scaling back on the NIL front. Some collectives at other schools will have to start completely over and will be put in a very tough position "I was getting $___k last year and now I am getting less?" ... well because your collective was trying to operate as a non-profit.
So does the board of the RTQ NIL Collective get paid?

Interesting. Does RTQ have any operating expenses? Is there any profit margin?
A few, some being website upkeep, payroll and legal resoucres, as well as subscriber benefits - both exisiting and future (more to come on this later). Important to note between 85%-90% of what is raised goes to the student-athletes (often times, right now, more).

Collectives are heavily donor driven at the moment - RTQ is no exception. However, that is not a sustainable model.

Back