• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Steubenville Files(High School football rape crew and mass coverup)

253664_10151471088844350_1563233433_n.jpg

Were the defendants not "promising students" with "promising football careers?"

Stressing that the victim was drunk seems like a subjective interpretation, but the girl was definitely hammered, right (cnn says 4 vodka shots, 2 beers, and a slushy vodka drink)?

Is there real evidence of date rape?

Just a terrible situation and that coach needs to be fired asap and those kids will get theirs

Were the defendants not "promising students" with "promising football careers?"

Stressing that the victim was drunk seems like a subjective interpretation, but the girl was definitely hammered, right (cnn says 4 vodka shots, 2 beers, and a slushy vodka drink)?

Is there real evidence of date rape?

Just a terrible situation and that coach needs to be fired asap and those kids will get theirs

i'm not saying that the guys didn't have promising football careers, but it seems misguided to focus on that when a girl was brutally raped, and everything was just covered up as an attempt to continue their promising careers.

and yes, i would say that the photos and videos of the date rape were, in fact, evidence of it. in addition to having one of the rapists on video talking about how he raped her.

i'm not saying that the guys didn't have promising football careers, but it seems misguided to focus on that when a girl was brutally raped, and everything was just covered up as an attempt to continue their promising careers.

and yes, i would say that the photos and videos of the date rape were, in fact, evidence of it. in addition to having one of the rapists on video talking about how he raped her.

I mean, it's not like articles came out focused on the football players as the victims, or had anywhere near the main focus of the articles on the "promising students".....I think any mention of that was just intended to speak to the "unexpectedness" of the horrific acts in which they engaged....or what they risked all in the name of petty "revenge"...if you can even call what they did revenge.

God damnit RJ, this is the 2nd time on this thread you have one out of your way to be confrontational and derail the thread.

You are going out of your way to try and grossly misrepresent the positions of other posters on this thread, and then acting like an 8 year old when they get upset at you for it.

I mean, it's not like articles came out focused on the football players as the victims, or had anywhere near the main focus of the articles on the "promising students".....I think any mention of that was just intended to speak to the "unexpectedness" of the horrific acts in which they engaged....or what they risked all in the name of petty "revenge"...if you can even call what they did revenge.

that's fair. i get the idea of trying to emphasize unexpectedness. it sometimes comes across as being sympathetic to the rapists rather than the victim, which is what upsets me. but yeah, it makes sense to approach it from the angle of "woah, you'd never expect it out of a small town with talented athletes like this."

that's fair. i get the idea of trying to emphasize unexpectedness. it sometimes comes across as being sympathetic to the rapists rather than the victim, which is what upsets me. but yeah, it makes sense to approach it from the angle of "woah, you'd never expect it out of a small town with talented athletes like this."

Yea...obviously they were just seriously evil dudes who had everyone fooled with the way they presented themselves...or apparently the way those around them fought to present them.

Everyone involved appear to be horrible individuals

(And RJ, I'm referencing everyone OTHER THAN THE VICTIM...let it be known that I am not blaming the victim for anything that happened that night or any time before or after the events)

You had an opportunity to say something to the young men who committed the rape -you knew about them and you didn't say anything

You knew about those who took pictures and watched and you didn't

You knew about the coach's inaction and didn't mention

What did you mention? That the girl shouldn't get drunk.

This is about YOUR choice in posting.

The only way you can deflect your mistake is to say this "I'm sorry that you'll now find a a way to make this thread about you and how mean everybody is to you all the time"

I said nothing about that. You did when you couldn't justify your previous actions.

This is about YOU not me.

These boards would be better off without you.

You are actual a negative force on an Internet message board.

How sad is that?

i'm not sure how much evidence of the date rape drug made its way to the trial. i was just positing a guess as to why it seems the accounts from the msm seem so watered down and bereft of much of the social media detail included from less mainstream sources.

It may also be a byproduct of the media's general pledge not to ID rape victims. It's hard to paint a picture of a person when you can't reveal any personal details.

These boards would be better off without you.

You are actual a negative force on an Internet message boards.

How sad is that?

District, you just had the opportunity to speak out against the atrocities in Darfur...Nazi occupied Europe....slavery-era US....North Korea....Apartheid....and many others and you chose to chastise RJ about his internet posts.

What does that say about you?

You should be ASHAMED!

It also seems like the media will always default to "promising young man (or woman)" when describing most young perpetrators, regardless of whether they would ever amount to anything in life, which makes them come across as sympathetic.

It also seems like the media will always default to "promising young man (or woman)" when describing most young perpetrators, regardless of whether they would ever amount to anything in life, which makes them come across as sympathetic.

Agreed. Also, to be fair, the one kid was supposedly an honor student as well as being the starting QB, was he not? That's promising as far as HS kids go, especially in Shitsville, OH.

Yeah, I'm sure it's a thin line, but I think the CNN clip that seems to be making the rounds does focus a lot on sympathy for the rapists:

I mean, I'm sure it was tough to watch two kids break down. But, if you remember what they did, and the lasting impact on the victim, it suddenly doesn't seem so difficult anymore.

In the first apology in that video, the kid says "The pictures should never have been laying around. The pictures should never have been taken." How is that an apology? That's a kid that's upset that he got caught. I really don't see anything about that being so difficult to watch that it gives me any sympathy for either of them.

In the first apology in that video, the kid says "The pictures should never have been laying around. The pictures should never have been taken." How is that an apology? That's a kid that's upset that he got caught. I really don't see anything about that being so difficult to watch that it gives me any sympathy for either of them.

i had the same thought. he only ever apologized for taking/sending the pictures. not for actually raping her in the first place.

i had the same thought. he only ever apologized for taking/sending the pictures. not for actually raping her in the first place.

I touched on this a little with my comment on page 3. These boys (boys. not men.) are too immature to completely realize the severity of what they've done. The trial and court proceedings have shoved it down their throat, but at the end of the day, their Friday night antics were caught and exposed but I truly question if they understand how WRONG it was to begin with. If they're these stellar students/athletes/kids, wtf were they thinking in doing it to begin with.

I definitely think some of the shock value from this for the younger generation comes from the fact that this scenario has probably played out to some degree before our eyes. It's shocking and sickening to me that I've probably witnessed what would be considered rape when I was hammered drunk and did not stop it. Now, I do not remember any specific instances by any means nor am I saying that my friends or I were ever involved, but the strong possibility/likelihood of seeing it happen or the early stages of it happening is disgusting to think about.

If you dig around online you can find the entire transcript of the probable cause hearing. It has the full transcript of the testimony from the guy who drove the girl back to the house, and was in the backseat of another car with the girl at one point. He never mentions a date rape drug, and isnt asked about one by the proscecution. He was not in sight of the girl the entire night, but what he testified he witness was not hardcore rape in the traditional meaning of the word. More like sexual assualt or aggravated sexual assualt. I havent read anything regarding transcripts of the actual trial though.

Last edited:
that leaks thing looks entirely embelished. I'm fairly sure there isn't a group of guys commonly known as the "Rape Crew" for starters.

The news reported that two of the girls who threatened the victim are being arrested for doing that - threatening the victim of a crime. That is a felony in Ohio.

Back